IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

On 12/14/2017 at 5:55 PM, elan120 said:

This sounds like the case here...on the other hand, the hew Holo driver playing upsampled DSD512 seem to be quite good.  I will need to take some more time to see whether it is same or better than the Singxer driver.

How are you getting your spring to play DSD 512, please. 

I am one of the ones who is not able to play DSD without using DOP. 

When I first got the spring I was able to use HQ player to  Play DSD512.    I stopped playing DSD to burn in the PCM modules.  When I went back to DSD it would not play. I had not changed anything. 

I loaded the latest HQ player.  I was able to play  DSD. But then I noticed that it was using DOP.  I cannot play DSD without using DOP. 

I think I may have just solved part of it. 

When I loaded the new driver I noticed that the other pull down menus showed DSD filters when I chose DSD in the right hand pull down in HQ player  

When I restarted the computer I had to use DOP to play DSD   

I realized that because I run roon server on my dedicated computer it starts automatically when I boot the computer   

I had closed roon server when I loaded the new driver   

I just turned off Roon server and restarted HQ player and I am able to play DSD files   

I am playing DSD512 

So now we need to find out what the setting in Roon is that is keeping us from playing DSD in HQ player   

32 minutes ago, tboooe said:

This doesn't sound right.  I have Roonserver and HQP running on the same machine and i am able to play DSD512.  So if you shut down Roonserver, you can play DSD but if Roonserver is running you can't?  

That is correct.  If roon server comes on when my computer boots up then I can only play DSD through HQP with DOP. 

If I quit Roon server and restart HQP then I can play DSD native 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

At least make sure you don't have same DAC configured as a zone in Roon...

I don't think I have any zones set up. 

I have HQP and  roon server on the same CAPS pipeline.  USB out into a Iso regen-USBPCB into the Holo spring. 

I  have not done much with my Roon settings that's why I asked tboooe to send me some screenshots, please. 

Thank you

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, drjimwillie said:

here is my screen shot.  will you look at it please

IMG_4863.thumb.jpg.9d4ec86d816b0e5089dd6891f697d5f7.jpg

I updated the driver for the holo spring. When I updated the driver I quit roon server.

When I reopened HQP I saw that I was able to play DSD native without DOP.

While I had HQP playing DSD512 I opened roon server.

I looked at the Roon settings and noticed that roon was looking for the holo driver but said that it could not find it. I disabled the Holo driver.

I made sure the only network device was HQP and that it was listed as a local host.

In HQP I made sure that enable network connection was disabled. I think it already was disabled.

At the same time I was making these changes to the audio page in the settings menu roon pushed a software update.

I don’t know what exactly fixed it but it works.

Here is my current screenshot.

To recap: I could only play DSD in HQP by using DOP.  Otherwise when I choose SDM(DSD) in the HQP main page, top right, I was only able to see PCM filters and the Holo Spring display showed that I was playing PCM.

Roon server and HQP are in my computers boot menu.  Roon server opened first and then HQP.  When I quit roon server I was able to play DSD native on HQP.  I can now play DSD512.

I had to fix some issues in the roon audio menu.

I hope this solves the issue Tim and the other users are having.

Thank you

Bill

Roon Screenshot.jpg

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Glad all is now working.  How do you like the latest driver (V4.35)?  In my system, it plays DSD512 a little better.

It sounds very good. I don't have a lot to compare it to because  I was still breaking in the spring when I had that issue with  roon  forcing DOP I could not play DSD 512.  

I am using the -2s filters.  The system seems stable with these settings. 

I was inspired by your comment that it seems to be easier to play DSD 512, so I tried to play them with the poly sink MP  

I have a CA PS pipeline. When I play DSD 512 -2s  The CPU capacity is around 30 percent.  When I try to play the non -2s filter  my computer makes a high low English type siren sound, when it is CPU goes to 100 percent. I could not  exit out of the HQP because it was frozen.  After about 45 seconds music started to play in the CPU settled out at 40 percent.  But the Hi low siren sound would not stop.  But I was able to exit out of HQP. 

I see that I have eight Cores, so four of them must be virtual. Should I go into the system and illuminate the four virtual Coors. Will that help me play DSD 512? 

14 minutes ago, elan120 said:

My PC CPU is i7700 which also doesn't allow non-2s poly-sinc-xtr / mp filters.  In order to run these non-2's filters, likely you will need CPU with much more physical cores than just 4 as well as enough L3 cache, where virtual cores would not help.  I know of least one person successfully build and run all the HQPlayer filters using AMD Threadripper 1950X, and he think 1920X likely would work as well, but I have not seen any actual input on this.

When I have HQPlayer locked up, I find using Task Manager to abort is the simplest method. 

Thanks for the task manager tip. 

My CPU is is xenon and it's playing at 3.2 GHz.  I don't know  how that  compares to a I7700?   It seems to be a different scale?

I don't know how to get that siren sound to stop coming out of the computer.  Andrew of small green computers build it for me and when I ask him about it he said he's never heard a sound like that come out of the computer before. 

The frustrating thing is that after 50 seconds I'm playing music but that siren sound continues.  And the CPU settles down to 40 percent. 

Does anyone know how to manage that siren sound 

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Could be overheating CPU? Some motherboards have CPU temperature and fan failure alarms.

40% total load on HyperThreaded CPU means 80% load on real cores. Higher the load, more there's heat production too, but there should be enough cooling capacity to keep temperatures within bounds even at constant 100% load.

You don't need to do anything, operating system understands about virtual and physical cores and so does HQPlayer.

Should I turn off hyperthreading?  Is that the same thing?

I only use this  CAPS pipeline for audio. 

It has HQP, AO, Acourate and Roon server only. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...