IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I presume you mean the following post by HiRezGuy on 4 April, 2017. I have made it stand out a bit more in this copy.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@                                                                                                                                            @

@      Step-by-step instructions for the Pioneer BDP-80FD  (and BDP-160)         @

@      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++        @

@                                                                                                                                            @

@      https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0enoqy/SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt?dl=0       @

@                                                                                                                                            @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Perhaps Ted should make this a sticky on P1, just like my instructions for the Oppo

10 hours ago, ted_b said:

Done  :)

Thanks, Ted, but your statement on P1 that I had done some 'clean up' work on the document created by HiRezGuy is not correct. I did no more than add the text "(and BDP-160)" to the heading in my copied version of his post, based on the info above from KVDB010.

2 hours ago, CatManDo said:

It's been confirmed by a couple of users in this thread. The BDP-80FD is the US version of the BDP-170. Both players share the same service manual

Does this mean that the instructions from HiRezGuy should now be labelled as applying to the Pioneer BDP-80FD, BDP-160 and BDP-170?

48 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Regarding the instructions above, step "H" says to "create a local folder on the root of the Windows PC".  I think it would be clearer to say to "create a local folder in the root directory of the USB drive that was just formatted" or something to that effect.

I don't own a Pioneer machine, but my Oppo experience tells me that those Step H instructions from HiRezGuy are correct as they stand. He's telling you how to create the Windows folder that will eventually store your SACD rips. It's only the three AutoScript files that are stored on the USB drive.

24 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

My comment wasn't specific to any particular player type or manufacturer...

Yes it was. You were criticising the wording of instructions aimed at specific Pioneer Blu-ray players.

It was a comment on the particular drive letter designation that the USB drive has been assigned by the Windows PC.

Your original post said nothing about drive letter designations.

To say "create  a folder in the root of the Windows PC" begs the question which drive.  I know it's implicit but should include the drive letter designation of that USB drive.

Why are you relating the instruction to create a folder in the root of the PC (typically C:/) with the drive letter assigned to a USB memory stick? There is no connection between these two things!

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but please have another go at describing your problem...

HiRezGuy's choice of words was aimed at the majority of users who just have one drive on their PC, but it would certainly be just as valid to create the folder in the root of a secondary drive. All that matters is that the chosen drive has enough free space to store lots of large DSF files,

47 minutes ago, CatManDo said:

The recommendation to create a ripping folder at the root of the drive (which can be any drive) is made to minimize the risk of problems with long file names, but it's not a requirement.

I created a folder c:/rips/sacd (I have other subfolders for CD and DVD rips, which use other software tools) and never had a problem with ripping to ISO. But when you extract to seperate tracks, the risk of getting too long file names is much higher

My experience suggests that when ripping classical SACDs to DSF files, it is almost essential to place your ripping folder at the root of a drive. A lot of my rips just hung up for no obvious reason until I realised that excessive path lengths were the cause. Only a short folder name, stored in the root, resolved all those issues.

As Yuri Korzunov has pointed out, this ripping process is still not guaranteed to work. The metadata-based filename might simply be far too long for even the shortest target folder name, but I have yet to hit such a problem. If I ever do, I will check out Yuri's software for extracting an ISO with truncated filenames (though I am unclear which of his products does this job).   

Hi Yuri,
Your website would be much easier to navigate if you reduced almost all the font sizes and greatly reduced (or deleted) various enormous graphic images that serve little purpose and just get in the way. You have to scroll way, way, way down the home page to get a clear explanation that your product called AuI ConverteR 48x44 is available in five different editions (Free, Lite, AudiophilE, PROduce-R and PROduce-RD). That should be at the top, not the bottom!

As far as I can work out, AuI ConverteR 48x44 does not enable you to rip an SACD. I assume that you are proposing that anyone who hits problems with the standard SACD ripping processes described in this thread should first use one of these processes to rip to an ISO file (this is an option in Sonore ISO2DSD) and then use your product to generate the DSF files in an intelligent fashion that reduces filename sizes where necessary.

Does the Free edition generate DSF files from an ISO in this manner? If not, which edition is required? I am only looking for intelligent filename sizing, not any audio processing capability

By the way, I didn't really understand the reference in your post to the Modula-R "ISO (core)" module. Is this a module that is present in all of your five editions? 

Hi Yuri,
Just as another example of the confusing layout of your website, the 'Comparison of Editions in Details' section only lists the five editions I mentioned in my previous post, while the 'Comparison of Editions in Short' section lists six editions (the extra edition being Modula-R).

However, I still don't know which edition or which module would let me extract DSFs from an ISO file with automatic control of filename length (so far, you have only made it clear that the free edition of your product will not do this job). Please clarify.

Hi Yuri,
The order link quoted in your post takes me to your ISO Extract module, which costs $22.30.

This module's description is shown below. However, no mention is made of the ability to control filename lengths or to eliminate illegal characters found in the metadata. Given that that is the reason why readers of this thread might benefit from your software, perhaps you ought to update the description.

• ISO to DSF bit-perfect (without resampling/processing) extractor (Modula-R edition). Extracting without resampling and clickless processing. Audio data (binary audio content) extracted "as is" from audio 1-bit ISO to DSF audio file.
9 hours ago, Tarainfo said:

I got the files from the Dropbox link

can you point me to a better source for the USB stick files

This 89-page thread has many Dropbox links, and they don't all work for the Oppo 103 or 105. I suggest you check out the info in my Oppo-related Word document, whose link is now provided at the bottom of the first post on Page 1.

12 hours ago, Tarainfo said:

I found my error

i was copying the 3 files to the USB stick

instead I copied the folder autoscript containing the. 3 files and it worked right away

i guess the folder name tells the oppo how to proceed

The procedure in my Word document (ref post 1 on page 1 of this thread) already mentioned that those 3 files should be in a folder named Autoscript, but I have now uploaded a modified version that emphasises the importance of the folder name and mentions the 'Failed to connect' error that ISO2DSD will display if you don't do this.

On 20/06/2017 at 3:58 PM, audiventory said:

I think, you may slightly reduce the risk if will use root directory. It is issue of both Mac and Windows.

However, short target directory name is not guaranteed decission.

The issue must be solved into ISO extractor via "smart" file-name truncation, as implemented in our software.

The latest version of my Word doc also contains a new section that summarises the process proposed by Yuri Korzunov on page 88 of this thread for using his software to handle those unusual SACDs whose metadata generates DSF filenames that are still too long for the operating system (Windows, etc), even when Sonore ISO2DSD is stored in a folder with a short name in the root of your chosen drive.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

I manage to get a second-hand Pioneer BDP-160 finally. Strictly follow Ted's two instructions (one from haggis999 and the other from HiRezGuy)

In haggis999's instruction case, ISO2DSD shows that:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.9:2002 for reading

In HiRezGuy's instruction case,  when I run sacd.cmd, a window pops up displaying that sacd_extract.exe has stopped working. (A problem caused the program to stop working correctly)

BDP-160 LED screen shows: SCN SVR in both cases.

Has anyone had the similar issue? Any help would be appreciated.

My instructions were specifcally written for the Oppo 103 and 105. If you used the download links in my document, then they almost certainly won't work for the Pioneer BDP-160.

1 hour ago, louisxiawei said:

But ISO2DSD should do the rest of the work, shouldn't it? Or it must be run by command prompt with sacd extract?

I can't be certain about anything to do with the Pioneer, but using ISO2DSD with the Oppo does remove any need for messing around with command prompts.

2 hours ago, LeonJehae said:

Thnx for the discussion guys but i actually even want to rip directly to DSF. It was that the manual reads how to rip to ISO. Just changed the -I option to -s and voila.  (Roon doesn't play ISO) Anyway, one SACD stopped (two times) at 98% when ripping over the network to a local (NTFS) harddisk. Ripped that same SACD directly to DSF on the same harddisk and everything was fine. So that's why i thought it could be to the limitations of FAT32. Probably NTFS will work indeed.

Your failing rip was probably caused by trying to store the results on a folder with a long path name. You need to create a folder on the root of your chosen drive and give it a short name. See my Oppo-related document on Page 1 for a more detailed description (this issue is the same for all machines).

1 hour ago, superstar19 said:

Any of you Pioneer owners successfully ripping while connected through a router?  If so, what make/model?  I’m wondering if my issues are related to the router and settings.  I have a Linksys EA7300 (Wireless-AC1750) router running my network.

A router is at the centre of almost all networks. If you can successfully ping your Pioneer from your computer then the network is unlikely to be the cause of any ripping issues.

43 minutes ago, Bob Harvie said:

I just got a Pioneer BDP-170.  I have struggled all night, forever getting the 'SACD_extract.exe has stopped working' message.  It seems that by ensuring the IP Address in the Pioneer is set to Auto, fixed things for me.  Also, I made sure to use the Autoscript folder specific for the Pioneer 160, and also the latest version of sacd_extract, which is 0.3.8.  I'm pretty sure setting the IP address to auto was the fix that did it for me, but I mention the other things I did too.  This might save someone an hour or two.  I'm on my third disc now, all working well.

Using an auto IP address setting means that you are allowing DHCP in your router to allocate its own choice of address. That means the address can vary, so you can never be certain which address to use when communicating with the Pioneer. It is thus more likely to be the cause of problems, not the cure. A fixed IP address makes things much simpler.

1 hour ago, KVDB010 said:

Sure you can. Just click on the properties of the player showing up in the network connections of your laptop/PC. Alternatively one can consult the router's list of DHCP clients.

Yes, indeed. What I meant was that you can't be certain of the address without such a check. That soon becomes a bit of a bore and I found it much more convenient to use a fixed IP address.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Beacon said:

I too experienced what John A did with my Oppo 103. It will only work for me if I plug in the USB stick THEN power up the Oppo. It takes about 45 secs for my Oppo to recognise the USB stick and open its drawer. Drawer opening does not happen immediately upon power up. This also threw me as I wasn't waiting long enough before switching off and trying again.

It took me quite some time to work this out and I initially thought it wouldn't work. It did but only after I got a phone call after powering up the Oppo with the USB stick inserted which caused me to pause sufficiently for the drawer to open...... otherwise I'd probably still be trying to work it out....... six months later!

It truly is a great thing and thanks again to whoever it was who developed the hack. Perhaps the initial instructions need to be amended for Oppo machines...???? Not sure how to do this.

I have just uploaded a modified version of the Oppo-related instructions to my Dropbox account. The link on p1 of this thread will now take you to V1.31 of the document, which has been updated to mention that you have to wait about 5 seconds before the disc drawer opens after plugging in the USB stick.

The document also now advises a power reset of the Oppo if the drawer refuses to open. Under the covers, the Oppo has a lot in common with a personal computer and, just like a PC, it often gets a little confused and needs a full reboot, especially if you are using the machine for more than just playing silver discs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jake Trapp said:

Thanks a lot for the responses.  I really appreciate it.  I did see the previous posts regarding path length, but the original path length didn't seem that long to me.  Shows you what I know - once I moved everything to the root directory as recommended, it works fine now.

I've just taken the hint and underlined the guidance about path lengths in my Oppo-oriented guidance document linked on p1 of this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gregavi said:

I find it hard to believe that you can't find cover art  for every disc that you have. I have some pretty out of mainstream discs that I have had no problem finding cover art for. You must have some really obscure stuff. Where are you buying these discs that you are unable to  find cover art for?

I've just checked the folder that contains all my CD cover art that had to be created by photographing or scanning the original covers. There are no less than 170 examples and they include plenty of major classical recordings (The Solti Ring cycle, for example). With very rare exceptions, they all came from normal suppliers, primarily Amazon.co.uk.

There may be better sources, but my searches for CD cover art were mostly done via dBpoweramp CD Ripper, which links to several online providers. Some cover art was also sourced from Amazon, though this not of any use for deleted recordings (I think Amazon was where I found the cover art for my small number of SACDs) .

18 hours ago, Gregavi said:

Easy enough to use search engine.

Earlier today, I ran a successful Google search for cover art for some of the CDs whose covers I scanned several years ago. I'm not quite sure why I didn't use Google back then, but it might have been that my first attempts to find cover art online were not very fruitful and I just got into the habit of scanning my CD covers. The scanning process was fairly quick, so it wasn't a major issue for me.  

• 1 month later...