IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Time to get rid of my spare PS3 units?

;-)

Lets wait and see ...

As I need a (new) BluRay player anyway, I might get one of the mentioned, just to be prepared ;-)

thanks Ted (and all others involved with this...)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

• 3 weeks later...
BTW. this method of extraction is out now more than half year. See yourself - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

Person behind this is from Ukraine, Kiev, i belive.

Got my new Pioneer BDP-170 delivered today, and:

Using the package from the link above, I managed to get my the BDP-170 ripping away in less than 5 minutes (including the needed changes for auto-play (off) and resume (off) excecuted).

That was freaky fast and easy - much easier than the "old" PS3 method ...

I will get some rips done today to see if everything will go on smoothly, but it lookes promising ;-)

Thanks to all involved!

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I will get some rips done today to see if everything will go on smoothly, but it lookes promising ;-)

Quoting myself to give some further impressions after I managed to flawlessly rip five SACDs in a row.

The Pioneer BDP-170 is connected to my router via LAN (cable), and I tested ripping on both of my Windows PCs:

- one with Windows 7 (desktop, connected via LAN-cable)

- the other with Windows 10 (laptop, connected via WiFi)

No problems on both systems so far.

I got the higher speed on the desktop PC (maybe because of my mediocre WiFi setup), with ripping speeds just below 3.0 mb/second.

this is about 0,5 mb/second faster as the fastest ripping speed I could manage to get with my PS3s (depending mostly on the used thumb drive / stick).

This is just great!

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to try this with my collection of SACDs. Can someone confirm that this works in the Pioneer 170. Thanks.

Yes. See my post on the topic:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/index18.html#post569518

Thanks, will try.

A question that is half-related to the topic: ripped a sacd without any information on it, no tracks, no names etc (disc is Maceo Parker School's In), there's a way to edit the ISO in order to put inside the missing infos or what other kind of solution is possible to use? As a player i'm using Foobar which deal with ISO just fine.

If you use Foobar to play your ISOs, just make sure that "Store Tags with ISO" is checked under Preferences/Tools/SACD.

You can tag your ISO in Foobar, and it will remember the tags, so no need to manipulate the ISO itself.

You could still extract the ISO to *.dsf files, which could easily be tagged.

And just keep the ISO as backup and/or for future reference.

• 2 weeks later...
I am seeing a strange issue. I can rip any of my SACD discs (hybrid, stereo, multi-ch, ...). But handful of the ISO files will not extract using iso2dsd. The extraction will just stop/freeze. And always at the same point in the file (meaning: for ISO abc, the extraction failes on track x every time). Any ideas what might be going on? I will try to find a commonality between the ones which fail.

Maybe you have a problem with too long filenames?

You can re-try putting your iso2dsd folder (or even only the files) on the root directory of your pc (something like C:/iso2dsd/)

Or you can try:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/

as alternative front-end / GUI for extraction purposes, as it allows for a different file-path for the output (extracted files).

First of all, a big thanks to Ted for making us aware of this new technique! (I had bought a PS3 but it was DOA and couldn't be fixed. I threw a lot of money away on nothing, and didn't have the courage to take further risks with that route.)

I just took delivery of a Pioneer BDP-170 (European model). Does anyone have any tips or warnings regarding this particular model?

I'm currently hunting for the right script in the thread, but if someone wants to shoot me a post number that would be simply wonderful.

See:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/index18.html#post569518

No problems so far ...

Yes, thanks USB DSD DACs or USB DSD DAC Headphone Amps

Also, now that I have 2 SACDs ripped I can't play them with FOOBAR 2002. They're in a format for burning to CD.

How should these files be converted?

If you use Foobar 2000, you don't need to convert them:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

Is the current BDP-180 which seems easily available ok. Pioneer BDP180K Wi-Fi 4K Up-Scaling 3D Blu-Ray Player. Thanks.

No!

As it has turned out (documented at the beginning of this thread), the BDP-180 uses a different chipset and is not suited for ripping!

But if I try to rip directly to the DSF files, I get "errno: 22, Invalid argument", more precisely

[0]: error creating Pascal MORAGU?S, Vladimir MENDELSSOHN, Frank BRALEY, PRAZ?K - Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART, Kegelstatt-Trio K 498 - Clarinet/01 - PRAZ?K QUARTET - Trio K 498 = First Movement - Andante.dsf, errno: 22, Invalid argument

Most likely there are some characters in use, which can't be interpreted by the ripper (at least the question-marks make me think thats the case here).

With the PS3, one could try using an older ripper build, and it will work.

Don't know if this would be usable with the SACD players too.

I've ripped an SACD to an ISO and created separate DSF files for each track. All metadata is there, and I've embedded the cover art in each file using MP3Tag. However, when I play the files in Foobar2000 on my PC, or on my Oppo 103 via usb stick, the files play fine, and show metadata, but do not show the cover art. I've also tried placing the cover art .jpg file in the same folder as the DSF files, but no luck. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Mike

I don't know how the OPPO handles this, but Foobar will usually look for a file called "Cover.jpg".

• 1 month later...
... I manually set the BDP to XXX.XXX.X.103

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.03.103:2002 for reading

Just a thought:

It is sometimes a bit odd, but make sure that you have entered the EXACT numbers.

Maybe the "0" before the "3" is too much and not needed?

Possibly but my network is currently set up for XXX.XXX.3.XXX instead of the typical .1. in the third field of the I.P.

But the sonore app (iso2dsd) has been configured to xxx.xxx.03.xxx:2002 - as posted above, that might be the culprit ...

• 1 month later...
... I guess one shouldn't endulge his inner geek with a martini in hand.

I think that depends largely of you prefere it shaken or stirred ... ;-)

Happy ripping!

• 1 month later...

This depends only on what layers are stored on the actual disc.

If there is no multichannel (this could theoretically anything between 3.0 and 5.1 - see booklet ;-) ) present on the disc, you can't rip "Multi".

it is usually the better way to rip to ISO instead (which will contain the stereo and (if available) surround format in one rip).

The ISO should be stored for futere reference and can be extracted on the PC/MAC. See this thread for more informations.

• 3 months later...

Make sure you have ticked the "Convert DST to DSD" option - which de-compresses packed DSD data - usually used on (almost all) SACDs with Surround content.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Jake Trapp said:

... The problem disc is Arabella Steinbacher's new release of Britten/Hindemith violin concertos, on Pentatone. ...

There were similar problems with other Pentatone SACDs in the past, so most likely you have the same problem here:

a. The Meta-Data used on the SACD uses some special characters which can not be processed by SACD_extract - and it crashes.

b. The SACD Meta-Data contains some very long file/tracknames whhich can not be handled by Windows - you can try to extract from/to the root of your drive (i.e. "C:/ " - and no subfolders used).

There is a batch file for these rare conditions to be used with sacd_extract - you can drop me a PM if you want to try it.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jake Trapp said:

Me again, again with a 'too long' file name problem.  From my previous post, I was able to remedy for a problem disc by shortening the name of the iso file. With the current problem disc (Tilson Thomas - Rite of Spring, again on Pentatone), I've tried reducing the name of the iso file I'm converting all the way down to '1.iso.'  With iso2dsd It makes it to the 4th track, where with all the title info, the file length is too long.  Any suggestions how to fix this?  I'm not seeing any way to do this.

If you are running the extraction on a Windows machine, you can try the attached batch-scripts.

As Ted suggested, it uses an additional switch in the command-line to shorten/change the output file names.

You will have to tag and rename the files manually, but ...

Just place the ISO you want to extract, a version of the sacd_extract.exe and the batch-files in one folder, and then run the batch-script needed by double-clicking it.

Extract DST Multichannel to DSF Files - Long filenames.bat

Extract DST Stereo to DSF Files - Long filenames.bat

• 3 weeks later...

Just use sonores front-end to extract the tracks to *.dsf or *.dff files:

http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

*.dsf files may be the prefered option, as these can contain tags.

Don't forget to tick the "convert DST to DSD" box, as a lot of the SACDs out there use compressed (DST) DSD data.

But keep your ISOs for future reference (and as backup) ;-)

Yes and no ;-)

Not every soft- or hardware player can decode DST compressed data/Files.

So, maybe you were lucky and all of your ripped/extracted SACDs haven't had DST compressed data, or your player(-software) still decodes it "on the fly".

But that would be somewhat unexpected, as - for what I know - *.dsf files could not contain compressed data.

14 hours ago, Gregavi said:

Thanks synfreak, I used sonore as you suggested to make dsf files and then Foobar 2000 to add tag info to the dsf files. Foobar finds tag info via freedb but when I open one of the  dsf files in a tag editor, there is no tag info. 

How are you adding tag info to the dsf file, or are you tagging the file before converting the iso file?

BTW, with the sonore I am choosing Sony DSF as the Output Mode and not checking the "Convert DST to DSD". Is this the right or wrong setting(s)?

Hi!

First:

Usually you should check the "Convert DST to DSD" box, as you usually don't want to have compressed data in your extracted files.

As mentioned above, *.dsf files can't contain DST compressed data anyway.

As for the tagging:

I also use Foobar for tagging - and playing - all of my files (including *.dsf and *.dff).

Not every tag editor may be able to handle the tags in *.dsf files, but i.e. "mp3tag" can.

But as long as you are using Foobar - and you are fine with its handling - there should/would be no need for an external tag editor.

Haven't encountered this kind of problem either - up to now.

Usually the extraction adds a tracknumber and name to the file?

I also do own the mentioned discs (the complete set), but haven't ripped/extracted it up to now, as I also have a/the remaster as PCM files.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Linefader said:

Can someone confirm that the multichannel version of Kraftwerk's Autobahn (from the Minimum Maximum SACD) has an audible dropout around 07:20 (not present in the stereo version)

I've listened to both versions ("International" and "German"), and couldn't find a dropout.

Maybe a re-extraction might help?

• 4 weeks later...