IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

The main hard drive in my wife's MacBook Pro 17' recently crashed. Luckily, we just replaced it with an SSD and restore everything from the time capsule, so no harm done

However, this reminded me of my off-site backups, which I actually hadn't updated since January!

I just wanted to take this as an occasion to remind everybody about the importance of backups.

• 5 months later...
LOL - I actually don't have a mansion and a yacht - that's an SNL reference

I do have a kayak and a 29er

on topic- I did not back up my last drive aaaaand it crashed :(

taking with it a few hundred $ worth of music purchased from HDTracks who BOOOO won't let me re-download what I purchased from them.

In contrast to eclassical.com who keeps records and lets you re download anytime.

Sorry to hear that.

Seriously, HDtracks doesn't let you re-download? That is just totally user-unfriendly. I've bought very little there, but basically will now stop completely.

• 8 months later...

Just noticed that I hadn't refreshed my off-site backup (stored at the office) for 3 month now, and figured I put a reminder out for everybody else again.

CCC is currently active. 

By the way, CCC was just upgraded to v5. I just wonder if there's a real added value in the upgrade. Is anybody getting it?

1 hour ago, Bystander said:

I'll definitely get it. The upgrade price is a joke compared to audiophile products and the developer provides tremendous value. I'll be glad to support further development of the software. Also, even though there's some support for APFS in CCC 4, only CCC 5 will be able to make a bootable backup to an APFS-formatted volume which I may want to do at some point.

That's a good point. I'll probably spend the 20 bucks upgrade fee. 

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, firedog said:

Okay, you got me.

I don't have a nearby bank, but if I did I'd keep a copy in a safe deposit box and switch it with an updated copy once every two weeks or a month.

I'm hoping one of these days cloud based storage is cheap enough that I can put a copy in the cloud. All the relatively reasonable alternatives I've found seem to be quite expensive.

The issue for me with cloud storage is not cost but the time to get my close to 4TB up- and downloaded.  That’s several weeks here at my current average internet speed.

Sounds like my place will finally get an optical fiber connection at some point in 2021. Then we’re talking.