IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

The main hard drive in my wife's MacBook Pro 17' recently crashed. Luckily, we just replaced it with an SSD and restore everything from the time capsule, so no harm done

However, this reminded me of my off-site backups, which I actually hadn't updated since January!

I just wanted to take this as an occasion to remind everybody about the importance of backups.

I image my computers once I have them setup with the base configuration and then the backups are ongoing afterwards.

Backups to a 12TB Netgear 3XX series NAS and also I have an Amazon unlimited cloud account that is run time for me. While it doesn't provide protection against virus it does give the ability to have another layer of recovery if the issue is hardware failure.

make copy of all new music files to one backup usb drive on my system- an ongoing incrmental full backup; weekly full clone to an additional USB drive of my main, fully tended music library. That one's kept in "fireproof" box.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Worst case is a fire or a burglary. Since I have ripped about 35TB in real time over about 6 years and have another 5 TB of downloads and CD rips, I have three full copies of everything, including a set in the bank. A trusted neighbor works well also.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Hey Now,

Full clone twice a day. Once a week, clone to naked HD kept off site (work). Music on mirrored FW800 RAID and backed up daily, with once a month or so naked HD backup for off site storage. Paranoid after losing 1TB of music once.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

Every night

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Actually, I do keep all my CDs, but not in my garage. Bad attempt at humor. I keep them, instead, at my hangar.

I back up daily, but I must admit, I'm not at all prepared to grab and go if needed. I only have the one backup. This is a great thread. I need to have a better plan.

JJinPDX

Quoting Feanor: "All storage media devices eventually fail".

My primary backup uses Windows 10 'Storage Spaces'. I have two external USB3 5TB drives to which 'Storage Space' is configured to write identical data. If one drive fails, the other will still be viable; this like RAID 1 except no special controller nor identical drives is necessary.

But also I keep at least two additional copies of all my data on computers other than my main machine, or on external drives. All backups are synchronized at least weekly.

Actually, I do keep all my CDs, but not in my garage. Bad attempt at humor. I keep them, instead, at my hangar.

I back up daily, but I must admit, I'm not at all prepared to grab and go if needed. I only have the one backup. This is a great thread. I need to have a better plan.

I need a hangar... and a Plane.

No electron left behind.

I have copies of my music on an upstairs HDD, a downstairs HDD, a series of 128GB SD cards (which works beautifully for tunes while traveling) and Amazon's unlimited Cloud storage.

No need for timed backups; when I download or rip music, a copy goes to each of these immediately.

The point of vulnerability is that I have only ripped about 10% of my CDs. (I've done no needle drops and am not sure if I will, though I'd much regret losing irreplaceable music.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I collate and curate all my music from my desktop. This library is the synced to my NAS

(where I also store other non-media files files). I then sync my HTPC to the library on my NAS.

As an aside, although there are free syncing utilities, I've been pleased with Syncovery.

Flexible, powerful and easy to use.

I also have an external USB 3 drive which I maintain weekly and keep elsewhere.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

I manage my music library in one machine and transfer it (complete) via a portable HD to the PC that is in my music system. Unfortunately I sometimes add a new album (files) to both PCs using an SD card and make mistakes in file and folder management. So, I'm pretty sure I have a back up of everything I own but version control is messy.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I rip my CDs (or download them) while seated at my iMac. I add them to my local iTunes library. That file is then synced daily with my Aurender, my NAS, which has a versioned backup, and my Mac Mini. This takes place over my network. I have no offsite backups, but my NAS is fire and waterproof.

iTunes has become nothing more than a database manager for me, all my playback is done via A+ these days.

No electron left behind.

51 minutes ago (sez Time Machine). Am also fully caught up on uploading to Amazon Cloud Drive.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Curious as to what people are using to image Win10 systems (just the OS / "C:" drive)? For Mac, SuperDuper is great.

I have never used the built in Win10 "create image" function, but does it work well should you need to completely restore the OS? I would never bother with a repair situation - if the OS gets corrupt then its time to nuke it => e.g. format the C: drive and restore an image. Does the "create image" function perform this, or is it better to use a third party solution?

My rig