IGNORED

Simaudio Mind 180

I was an Aries owner but also got a chance to audition MiND via the optional board for the 280D.

MiND worked well with both my local library (on a NAS via MinimServer) and Tidal. The MiND iPad app was primitive though. Probably my least favorite of the half dozen apps I tried.

A plus with the Aries is Roon support. MiND needs to support this even more for the reasons I state above.

The microRendu is a better choice than either the Aries or the MiND in my humble opinion.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I was an Aries owner but also got a chance to audition MiND via the optional board for the 280D.

MiND worked well with both my local library (on a NAS via MinimServer) and Tidal. The MiND iPad app was primitive though. Probably my least favorite of the half dozen apps I tried.

A plus with the Aries is Roon support. MiND needs to support this even more for the reasons I state above.

The microRendu is a better choice than either the Aries or the MiND in my humble opinion.

Soundwise I agree. I heard the below comment from some fellow audiophiles. I quote :

"The NAS needs to run any 1 of the 4 types of media servers this device supports and to my knowledge only one of them runs on NAS - MinimServer which is DLNA/wireless. The rest like MPD, Roon, HQPlayer will need a separate PC as they don't have any NAS variants of their OS that can be installed on any NAS like Synology, QNAP, etc.

Which brings me to the point it's a multi device playground i.e. NAS, PC, microRendu - and that's just source/transport and yes you also need a router or network switch or WiFi extender/repeater with ethernet port to connect the microRendu itself. That's 4 devices "

The Aries or Mind can run without a PC in the picture, no ?

• 1 month later...

I owned the Simaudio Moon Mind 180, for about one year. I loved it's simplicity and what it did or didn't do with music. Unfortunately, I had several technical problems with the Mind. In the main, I couldn't just play and forget it. From time to time, the Mind would drop out and I found both Simaudio and my vendor to be under par in helping. But perhaps the most troubling aspect of my experience with Simaudio was the fact that they do not seem to care much for the most important part of their product - the App. For $1800, I didn't expect the moon but I did expect much more.

In my view, what separates these streaming devices is not so much audio quality (though that does vary) but the care taken with their interface. While I experienced frustration with the Mind App, I kept a close watch on what was going on with Aurender. During a year in which Simaudio provided one pretty useless update to their software, Aurender had provided tweaks to their software on average, every two months. I spoke with an Aurender owner who told me that through the App, one could directly contact the company's support person! By contrast, Simaudio was asleep at the wheel.

Needless to say, I'm now an Aurender N100H owner and have been for one year. I've had reason to contact the Aurender staff - perfect, I've downloaded their App updates - perfect. Above all, I hear zero difference in the quality of the throughput of either of these devices.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

The latest incarnation of the Mind app is really not that bad. SQ is very good, although PCM only, when fed by a good linear power supply. I've enjoyed mine for almost two years now, with a toslink connection to an aging Benchmark DAC1. It plays hires without any problems from my nas. I cannot comment on the helpfulness of the Simaudio staff because I've never had to contact them.

With no sarcasm, I'm glad for you. Perhaps I was too impatient. Btw, I'd rate the Aurender app as excellent - apart from it's not too appealing background colour.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo