IGNORED

Linear Power Supply for Brooklyn. Which one you've ever tried?

I hope nobody minds my cross-posting of something written today by another of the more than 50 Brooklyn DAC owners who bought a JS-2 in 2017.  Perhaps the nice folks at Mytek will be kind enough to include the choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp JS-2 in the list of 3rd-party LPS on the Brooklyn web page.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/20528-js-2-power-supply-installed/?do=findComment&comment=761213

H-Man said:
I received my JS-2 a month ago following superb service from Alex.

What can I say that has not already been said? Right now Bob Dylan is in my living room playing Don't think twice, It's All Right from Tidal over the Ultra Rendu (powered by LPS-1) to the Brooklyn DAC powered by the JS-2, into my MBL amps and speakers and it is the first time that my digital front end does not make me long back to my original vinyl pressing. It is simply sublime. Many have spoken about reduced noise floor etc and it is quite noticeable but what has me in awe is the improved timing and drive in the music. The combination of reduced noise floor and improved timing makes extremely fine details in the music easy to pick out and appreciate, details that were more "noise" before are now clear and important parts of the score. I have enjoyed more music in the last month than in a long time. 

That a power supply used on the DAC could have this kind of impact is way beyond what I could have guessed. I realise that milage can vary and can be dependant on the rest of the system but for me this is one of the most important purchases I have done. The JS-2 has my utmost sincere recommendation. Thank you Alex and John for a great product!

/Henrik

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, exdmd said:

Yes I heard about possible improvements from the 13.2v setting but would like to hear approval from Mytek before a change that might void the warranty. Perhaps I am being overly careful.

Please remeber folks, there are no chips in the DAC that run even from 12V.  The input voltage to the unit gets dropped down by multiple linear (hopefully) regulators—to 3.3V, 1.1V, etc.

So assuming linear regulators are used, all excess input voltage is simply turned into wasted heat—from the regulators—and conducted to the circuit board.  

DACs do sound better once their clocks are warm and stable (24 hours is nice). 

So the only possible reason I can imagine for someone preferring the SQ better from powering the DAC with an extra volt or so would be that it gets the clocks warm quicker from cold turn on.

Better to just provide 12V (less total heat) and keep the DAC on all the time.  :)

• 7 months later...