IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I hadn't noticed you have the Mutec. It seems to be similar in function to the tx-USB.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

2 hours ago, edwardsean said:

What is the max sample rate on the SMS200? I've seen varying specs of 384 and 768. Was it changed over time by firmware or hardware?

Interesting. I wasn't the spec had changed. From the SOtM sits"

• PCM 32bit/768KHz max, DSDx512 max

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

• 2 months later...

I bought this wi-fi dongle for my sMS-200. It appears to meet the spec in the SOtM FAQ, i.e. "RTL8812AU chipset".

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QQ4WW4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I followed these instructions: http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:how_to_use_wifi_in_eunhasu

I tried setup with both a static ISP and dynamic ISP; my router does not show the device, and the Eunhasu page does not see my internet connection. When I enter the SSID and password manually, the "wireless IP" field says "connetion error" (I did not misspell, that is what it says). I've rebooted several times, same result. Any idea what I should try next?

25 minutes ago, Ron Ippolito said:

audiobomber,

When I attempted to use a wireless adapter with my sms-200, initially, it would not connect.  I have no idea whether this will help you, but I hope it does.

I finally got my wireless adapter to work by changing my wireless network from a hidden SSID to a broadcast SSID.  Believe it or not, after I made that change, the wireless connection was good to go.

Good luck,

Ron

Thanks for the info Ron, but not the issue in this case, my SSID is being broadcast.

• 5 weeks later...

I doubt it would even need a firmware update. MPD should be sufficient as the interface.

• 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, MGX-UK said:

Is it possible to stream or use Tidal & qobuz phone apps to connect directly to the sms-200. similar to the Auralic media players? avoiding the expense of Roon? 

Yes, MPD/DLNA on the sMS-200 supports both.

• 4 months later...

I had trouble with my sMS-200 Neo today, couldn't see it no my network, even after a network check and repeated reboots. I tried to reflash the SD card with Eunhasu V0.5.1 with no success, so eventually I loaded V0.4.7 which I had stored on my laptop. I assumed I'd be able to upgrade once I was up and running, but the upgrade arrow is not showing an available upgrade, and instead is showing this message:

Already installed the last version. No need to upgrade. However, if you would like to re-install the current version again, you can click the following version link. V0.4.7

I know there were at least two updates after 4.7, as I had installed them before the trouble started. I don't think 4.7 is a big problem, the system is working well, but I wonder what's going on, why aren't firmware upgrades showing?

• 2 weeks later...

Three tries at V5.2, three fails; "Error Code 1". 

I'm connected via CAT6 directly to my switch, currently on V5.1, 1000base-T.

Guess I will have to wait for the new image and burn to the card, but I really prefer the internet method.

I emailed May, I'll let you know when she replies.

3 hours ago, Philippe Bill said:

all SOtM recommendations must be followed (especially for the browser ...)

I don't think that's all there is to it. I tried three times with Chrome and twice with Edge with the same result, "Error 1". I have the sMS connected directly to my switch with CAT6 cable, 1000Base-T selected. Is there a recommendation I've missed?

I emailed May and she replied yesterday requesting a log text, which I supplied this morning. Will update when she responds. 

1 hour ago, MGX-UK said:

Before I started I reburned a fresh 5.1 sd card. Inserted in sms200 and never changed any settings . 

In my PC settings I turned power settings to never sleep including the monitor. I never touched my PC until it finished. Set your PC like this before you start please look at the photo.  

It took 3 hours ...

Hope this works for you  

Sotm settings.JPG

I usually have my laptop set for two hours before entering sleep mode. It did not go into sleep mode during the previous update attempts, but for thoroughness, I set it up to never enter sleep mode, and did not use the computer during the final attempt. Same result, Error 1.

2 hours ago, Philippe Bill said:

""The new Eunhasu firmware is going to be released soon and it will be the version no. 0.5.2.""

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu-firmware-ver-no-0-5-2/

At first I thought you had just found an old news brief, but it appears V5.2 is on hold for now. I am on V5.1, and my Eunhasu page does not show an available update: "Already installed the last version. No need to upgrade." 

49 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I don't understand, we are already in the latest version 0.5.2

Capture d’écran 2021-11-16 201826.png

Clearly there was a problem for some to load it. I'm sure it will be back shortly.

Excerpt from May Park email yesterday:

"we temporarily blocked the firmware upgrade since there have been some reports that should need to check again"

Two more attempts to download the new V5.2 online, two more fails. The imaging method went smoothly, but I wasn't sure how to use the included RPi software, so I used Balena Etcher.

For those who used the RPi imager, did you select the "recommended" RPi OS, or another?

44 minutes ago, 5-pot-fan said:

An alternative is to get another sdcard, (say 32gb), clone your existing sdcard and write the image to the new card. This presumes that your existing card is 8 or 16Gb, in which case the cloning should succeed, however big the image has grown to.

An 8GB card is no longer suitable, as the image is almost 8GB. SOtM now recommend 16GB.

13 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I haven't seen that advice.  Can you provide a link please.

I emailed May Park about this three years ago. Sorry, I didn't keep a copy of her reply, but I can assure you she recommended using a 12GB SD card, which I thought was odd, since I've never heard of a 12GB card.

What card does a new sMS-200 come with?

Dan Bonhomme    

Sun, Dec 30, 2018, 1:32 PM

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to May Park
cleardot.gif
Hi May. The new V4.5 firmware very nearly fills the 8GB sd card in my sms-200. Would there be any benefit to using a 16GB card instead?

36 minutes ago, robi20064 said:

Wasn't that just a typo on May's side for a 128GB card?

No need to go that heavy, the Eunhasu image is just under 8GB. A 16GB card works just fine.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TAV said:

OTA update failed twice on my SOTM.  I downloaded the 8GB image from SOTM and used the DDUtil to restore it to a fresh 16gb card.   The process failed twice on two different Macbook Pro's.   Glad i kept an archival copy of the 5.1 version.   Anyone have any ideas on resolution of this issue?   I sent an email to SOTM waiting to hear back.  So it seems that this update has been quite problematic for many of us.   The typical OTA update worked every time flawlessly for me until now ..........

Try imaging the SD card with Balena. That's the only thing that worked for me.

20 hours ago, zoltan said:

It comes with a 9V power supply but you can switch to 12V internally if you happen to have a 12V power supply.  

Not sure what you mean by "switch to 12V internally". The sMS-200 accepts an external power supply in the voltage range of 6.5 to 12V DC, able to supply 15W. No internal switching required.

23 minutes ago, Tommd64 said:

Both options are possible; you can use without changings psu’s between 6.5 till 12v. Without harm is done; But its also possible to adjust it inside..

I've not heard that before. Why and how would one do that?

7 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Audiobomber. Perhaps you have a external 12v PSU you want to use. I’ve ask May before and there’s no problem to use it without adjustment. Im playing with it for more then 2 years without any problem. Ther’s a self regulated psu inside so the Sotm always sees the correct voltage. Though you have to be within 6.5 and 12volts.

I do power my sMS-200 with 12V. I questioned your statement that there is an internal switch that can be set to 12V. There is no such switch in the sMS-200, as confirmed above by @ClothEars.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, zortation said:

Finally, I went back to an older setup completely bypassing the unit and going direct from pc to dac and the difference was startling, much better sounding (but I could never get the unit to sound as good as this anyway). It's making me wonder...

Sounds like something is wrong for sure, unless you are using a computer that is highly customized for audio. 

For the record, I'm having no trouble with 5.2 via UPnP, sonically or operationally. I did have trouble with the initial installation but resolved it in a few days. During this little struggle, I went back to V4.7 for a few days. Man, we have had some improvements since then. I don't recall which update did it, but there was a major sonic improvement subsequent to V4.7, which continues through V5.2. 

• 2 months later...

The SOtM Imager did not work for me, had to use Balena.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, MGX-UK said:

It does sound a little dry, but very clear.... Is this the correct settings for on? 

Capture+_2023-01-16-22-58-24.png

Do you have an IPv6 router? If so, that setting is ok.

Auto Negotiation should be on according to what I have heard.

"Autonegotiation is a signaling mechanism and procedure used by Ethernet over twisted pair by which two connected devices choose common transmission parameters, such as speed, duplex mode, and flow control"