IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

6 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Nice. This is for further jitter reduction yes?

Yes.  Better time precision, better detail clarity, more open soundstage with better depth.  The stock clock was already quite good so it's saying a lot to say this new clock is better.  Amazingly so.  Just for kicks, I also have the new dX-USB HD Ultra (USB-to-SPDIF converter) following the sMS-200 Ultra and this converter also has the new clock and the improvement continues.

27 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Do you prefer optical into the Dave (as per Rob Watts preference)?

And that's why you use the dX-USB HD Ultra? 

Cheers

With his other DACs, optical sounds best.  With DAVE, USB sounds best and Rob has stated this many times.  With DAVE's floating USB design, it is galvanically isolated.  It is also the only input that is synchronously tied to DAVE's clock.  The other inputs go through DPLL.

The dX-USB HD Ultra is another story and was purchased in anticipation of Chord's new Blu Mk 2 which was originally only going to include a SPDIF input.  Amazingly, even though DAVE sounds best via USB, SOtM's clock is so good that I now have DAVE's SPDIF input sounding better than DAVE's USB input but a very good High Fidelity Cables SPDIF cable has something to do with that as well.  

33 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Amazing how even the best Dacs on the planet perform better with certain (not all) functions done upstream.

I believe all things benefit from being presented a signal of the highest integrity.  I also believe the signal can get molested to such an extent by upstream components that even the best DACs are unable to interpret what is the original signal and what is artifact.

30 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Ignoring Toslink, are any of the dX-USB HD Ultra outputs galvanically isolated?

SOtM intentionally chose to avoid galvanic isolation with any of their products as they found it resulted in increased jitter. 

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Absolutely, 2 sides to the coin. Looking forward to hearing more about the SMS-200 Ultra. I'm a microRendu owner but the current SMS-200 has obviously been getting very favorable reviews.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the prototype.

Sure.  I have the mR, too, and it's a wonderful product but the Ultra is in a class of its own.

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Wowza. There must be new features in the Ultra coming, other than new clocks? Or do the new clocks legitimately double the price?

The new clock by itself costs $700 for 1 clock and the sMS-200 has 2 clocks.

59 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

@MayfromSOtM

Will the sMS-200 ultra get an I2S output (HDMI)? Preferably compatible to PS Audio  9_9

I'm not May and so I'll let her answer for herself but as an owner of 2 Ultra products and having discussed their Ultra line with them, I'm pretty sure an I2S output is not going to be part of the new sMS-200 Ultra.  Basically, Ultra = upgraded clock and that's it.

With that said, if you have a custom request, SOtM has been very open minded to accommodating mine.  They have replaced 4 clocks for me thus far and will be replacing 4 more clocks for me in the coming weeks on components that they have nothing to do with.  The best Ethernet-to-I2S device I know of (that is compatible with your PS Audio) is the Sonore Signautre Rendu and so if you have one of these, you could perhaps have its clock upgraded if somehow you felt its stock clock was inadequate.

48 minutes ago, tboooe said:

For >$1K for the Ultra it would be great if it had various outputs, especially HDMI!  That would allow me to get rid of the SU-1 and make the Ultra more of a viable option for me.

If you are looking to replace your SU-1, consider SOtM's dX-USB HD Ultra which is their version of the SU-1 + their super clock.  As I own this product, I can vouch for how good it is (easily better than the F-1 that I tried) and it will be slightly less expensive than the sMS-200 Ultra (since it only requires a single clock).

33 minutes ago, sbilotta said:

Does it make sense to have SOtM's dX-USB HD Ultra and their sms-200 Ultra ? 

Your budget will dictate whether buying both makes sense but sonically speaking, yes, surprisingly, having the dX-USB HD Ultra follow the sMS-200 Ultra makes a difference.  

32 minutes ago, sbilotta said:

From my (limited ?) understanding the optional "External master clock input" is only for the tX-USBUltra 50Ω BNC connector itself and not for the external clock to connect it to. Is this correct ? i.e. there is no extra external clock but only its connector ?

If so, what could be an example of an external master clock that could be applied ?

Thx !

The sCLK-EX board, which is what is in the tX-USB Ultra, has a 10MHz external master clock option and you have the option of connecting such a clock either via a U.FL connector at 50ohms or an MCX connector at 75ohms.  You are provided the choice as some master clocks have one connector or the other.  There are a variety of 3rd party external master clocks you can buy (typically atomic clocks) and they can run thousands of dollars.  You would wish to do this only if you knew for sure that the master clock you are thinking of using has superior performance characteristics (i.e. lower phase noise, better stability) vs the sCLK-EX's stock clock but there is no guarantee that such clocks will be better.  For example, there are TCXO and even OCXO master clocks that will not perform as well as the sCLK-EX's stock clock.  Here is an example of a rubidium atomic clock you could buy:

http://vintageking.com/antelope-audio-isochrone-10mx-atomic-master-clock

10 hours ago, hkfootie said:

Would I still need a good usb cable if I get the SoTM tX-USB Ultra?

Yes, I believe you will still notice the impact of a good USB cable but such a cable need not be expensive.  In my system, the USB cable that separates my sMS-200 Ultra and dX-USB HD Ultra makes a difference.  None of SOtM's products are galvanically isolated.  As such, find a cable that is well shielded, is as short as possible and at the very least meets full USB 2.0 spec (90 ohm differential impedance).  You'll be surprised at how many audiophile USB cables do not meet USB 2.0 spec according to Gordon Rankin which ultimately results in unnecessary variances in SQ.  Also, since the tX-USB Ultra won't draw from the 5V VBUS, if you can find a USB cable with only a data line (no power line), you will likely notice another step up in SQ according to SOtM.

1 hour ago, hkfootie said:

Thanks for your reply Romaz.  I am currenly using Raspi 3 as a NAA connecting a Singxer SU-1 and I have a SOTM tx-USBHub in between.  I use a stock usb from Pi to Sotm USBHub and an Audioquest Carbon from USBHub to Singxer SU-1.  Do I need to upgrade both USB cables to improve my setting or just the one between USBHub and SU-1?

My viewpoint is that both USB cables should be of the same high standard if possible but ultimately, let your ears tell you if this is necessary.  Fortunately, securing another AQ Carbon to try without obligation isn't that hard from places like Amazon or from The Cable Co.  Alternatively, you could try replacing your AQ Carbon with another stock USB cable and see if you miss it.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi,

Thanks for all of your helpful posts on this thread... getting the dX-USB HD Ultra with the best clock looks like it's north of $1200, - a full $1000 more than the F-1; making it one of the most expensive USB to SPDIF converters out there. I am enjoying my F-1, but am nervous about the dX-USB.

Cheers,

I think if you're enjoying your F-1, it's best not to go looking for trouble because you will most certainly find it.  Now, if I could only learn the same lesson.

15 minutes ago, alice said:

Doesn't the DAC reclock the signal?

So does it really matter what clock is used prior.

Since you have a USB Regen, which is a USB reclocker, then you might already know the answer to your question.  A good clock can make a pretty big difference.

16 minutes ago, alice said:

The regen is just not a reclocker.

In my system it regenerates the data signal and also add power directly as I have the USB power off at the sotm USB pcie card.

Nonetheless, it has a very good clock.  Any signal that is regenerated has to be reclocked.  From your router to your DAC, there are probably at least a dozen reclockings that take place.  Bad clocks have the opportunity to cause harm but good clocks can repair harm that has been caused.

All modern DACs use asynchronous USB these days meaning timing comes from the DAC and not the source and so you'll have to ask yourself if the clocks before a DAC don't matter, why would SOtM charge an extra $700 for a better clock for their Ultra line (and the clock is literally the only difference) and why people who have purchased the various Ultra products have had such positive comments if these clocks make no difference?  Same thing goes for the soon to be released Iso Regen by Uptone which offers an even better Crystek clock than the original USB Regen that you have.  If clocks made no difference, why would Uptone bother to put a better clock in it? 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

My current sMS-200 takes up to 14Vdc IIRC.  I don't understand why this is different.  Is there an up-charge for 12Vdc on the ultra?  Really too bad there wasn't a mass mailing with all the info before the release.  

The limitation here isn't with the sMS-200, it is with the new sCLK-EX board.  The clock board was designed either for 6.5-9V or 12V.  No upcharge for 12V but you do have to specify which you want at the time of purchase.  As an owner of 3 SOtM Ultra products, I can assure you this is a minor quibble not worth worrying about.  This is an extremely worthwhile upgrade.

18 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I run my SMS-200 on a 12V battery with great success however the actual voltage ranges from 13V down to 12V before I recharge.  This is within the capability of my unit but is the 12V optional spec for the Ultra a brick wall type thing or will it cope with up to 14V like the SMS-200?

I have not tried a 14V source and so I can't help you.  Unlike the standard sMS-200 where SOtM claims a wide voltage input, with the 12V option with their new clock, they are not making this claim and so my guess is you will want to feed it a regulated 12V (+/-10% which is typical).