IGNORED

Thoughts on a New DAC

I will be getting a new DAC soon. I have need of one that includes a good analog input that allows it to be a full pre-amp as well. Under consideration for various reasons are the Benchmark DAC2, Mytek Brooklyn and the new Audio Alchemy DDR1 with Power Supply. My leanings are with the Audio Alchemy. That power supply is designed to run more than just that DAC and so I was wondering if it could be used to power the Regen, or another USB conditioner such as the one from W4S?

Pedantic correction: The Exogal crew may have been there at the beginning of Wadia, I don't know, but the late Don Moses was the primary founder. Wadia was the first name of his father.

I mispoke and I stand corrected. From the Absolute Sound review,

"
Exogal, which was formed in 2013 by folks formerly with Wadia.
Wadia was purchased by Fine Sounds in 2011, a holding company. After the purchase, Wadia’s focus was redirected away from its former core competency of designing advanced transports and DACs. So it’s no surprise that some Wadia employees would want to continue working in the area where their passions lie. And in case you’re wondering what the heck an
Exogal
is, it’s a word created by combining “exo,” which means “out of,” with a shortened form of “galaxy” to denote it’s out of the galaxy. Now you know."

Thanks,

AC

If anyone has auditioned the Exogal Comet with power supply upgrade, it would be useful to hear your impressions of it. I am particularly interested in feeding it from HQPlayer/Dirac running on a Mac Mini with DSD or PCM through the USB and AES inputs.

I will likely get a new DAC over the next 6 - 12 months, and I am considering the Exogal Comet, the Ayre CODEX, and, if I can convince myself that I can afford it, the Lampizator Level 4 Generation 5 balanced. The Comet looks intriguing and at about the midpoint in price of the other two. I am set up best for balanced output.

Other suggestions?

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I will be getting a new DAC soon. I have need of one that includes a good analog input that allows it to be a full pre-amp as well. Under consideration for various reasons are the Benchmark DAC2, Mytek Brooklyn and the new Audio Alchemy DDR1 with Power Supply. My leanings are with the Audio Alchemy. That power supply is designed to run more than just that DAC and so I was wondering if it could be used to power the Regen, or another USB conditioner such as the one from W4S?

Have you listened to any of these DAC's yet, or any others that you didn't mention?

I own the Comet, and it's just great. My last DAC was a PS Audio Digital Link III, so older technology. I've tried to improve it with the Regen and W4S RUR. They do little to nothing. I don't have a ton of audiophile history to go on, but the Comet with its external power supply is a real bargain. Walter at Underwood is currently running a very good deal on it and power supply. I run it directly into my power amp.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I own the Comet, and it's just great. My last DAC was a PS Audio Digital Link III, so older technology. I've tried to improve it with the Regen and W4S RUR. They do little to nothing. I don't have a ton of audiophile history to go on, but the Comet with its external power supply is a real bargain. Walter at Underwood is currently running a very good deal on it and power supply. I run it directly into my power amp.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

thanks for your feedback

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star