IGNORED

16/44 better than 24/192 ? - intermodulation ; up sampled masters...

I know. This comparison is an old shoe but, I found a web page that tried to belay it on facts.

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

I did this intermodulation test and I could hear some strange sounds in the 24/96 and 24/192 - nothing in the 16/44.1 though ..

What do you think about it?

HDD->Auralic Aries mini->T+A V10

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thanks!

I think, too that a very big thing about life music are subsonic sounds. But my problem here is not that the spectrum of sound delivery is wider, but that the digital files have problems in saving them, by the means that they produce intermodulation down to the hearable frequencies, which is really not wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Too bad he contradicts his own claims.

There is a lot of useful information here, but as is so often the case with modern media, the choice of an inflammatory and inaccurate title to get us to start reading means that most readers will glance at how much information is here and assume the author must know what he is talking about and read no further than the misleading title.

I'm glad to see that he admits to the significant value of oversampling and the choice of better filters that it allows. But if everything got downconverted to 16/44 before it gets to me, how can I make sure that the same filter choices were made that I would have made?

So the reason for 24/192 material has nothing to do with hearing stuff outside the 20Hz-20kHz range, but everything to do with avoiding intermodulation, filter and other errors to become embedded in the singal you play. For many of us that means ideally preserving the exact format in which the recording was originally made and letting us decide what sampling rate and filters we want to use.

I does mean that there is no reason to buy a 24/192 version of something previously downsampled to 16/44 (far easier for us to use our own computers to simply upsample the 16/44 to whatever rate in PCM or DSD we want our DAC to process). Preserving as much of the original detail for as long as possible matters. The same is true in photography, where you should process your photos in the greatest possible color space (assuming that is what your camera captured) even if you printer can't print those colors (and do the color space adjustment as the very last step in the process just before it reaches your printer).

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

What do you think about it?

It's a silly article that people share way too much.

There's more to fantastic sound that just frequencies.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Intermodulations is main reason why need remove ultrasound (optimize recording for DAC). It give technical advantades in noise/distortion level as for PCM as for DSD.

Optimized hi-res records need for better work of analog filter of DAC.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi,

Sorry of you don't like it. I shared it to see what people think about it, so I can learn a little more ;)

Don't be sorry, it's fine for discussion.

And if you do learn to listen for other things than just frequency response (a solved problem since a very long time MO), it is my firm belief you will have learn something really, really valuable for audiophilia.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Reference to enough 44/16 fairly for theoretical ideal devices and for infinite analog signals only that don't exists.

I don't know exact background that first suggested high resolution as way of bringing more sound details via ultrasound. It hid real purpose of high sample rates.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi,

Sorry of you don't like it. I shared it to see what people think about it, so I can learn a little more ;)

What I'm sure you didn't realize is that this article gets reposted here (and at other music/audio boards) at least a couple of times a year, with the exact same discussion following each time.