IGNORED

QNAP with iTunes library issue

I'm encountering a peculiar issue with my iTunes library on my NAS. I have my hi resolution music, CD rips and iTunes library located on a QNAP HS-251+ NAS in the multimedia folder. My original purpose was to have the NAS store my music libraries and have my exaSound Playpoint renderer stream my music to my stereo system. I am using bubbleserver on my NAS and Linn Kazoo on my ipad. This all works great and all my music and artwork appears on the Linn controller.

So, here are my issues:

Issue 1. When I open up my iTunes library on the NAS, (left side of the iTunes interface) none of the cover artwork shows up. This is the same library that bubbleserver is seeing. Although none of the artwork shows up, all else appears to be ok. Note: This is a copy of the same library that is on my mac which shows all artwork when I switch over. If I open the library by clicking selecting the folder on my NAS all artwork appears.

Issue 2. I've loaded the QMusic app on both my ipad and iphone. None of my iTunes artwork shows up on either of those either when I use QMusic. Even more peculiar though is that not all the songs of each album is showing up. I've tried a refresh, but that doesn't work either.

Issue 3. I've installed the SuperSync iTunes Media Manager app onto my NAS, but when I try to open it, it asks for user name and PW but gives me a 401 error after entering them.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

bluemark, if you rip with iTunes, it does not add album art to every track. Only one cd cover is in some of its database and aliased into the tracks when displayed on native Apple. If you use a NAS, you need to add the original cover into each track manually. (You can of course use the cover iTunes adds on the mac, but need to copy it, delete it and then paste it manually to all tracks.)

The Qmusic app is completely useless, as are all Apps I tried for streaming from a NAS to a receiver. No gapless playback, crappy GUIs, no sorting, strange behaviour all the time.

bluemark, if you rip with iTunes, it does not add album art to every track. Only one cd cover is in some of its database and aliased into the tracks when displayed on native Apple. If you use a NAS, you need to add the original cover into each track manually. (You can of course use the cover iTunes adds on the mac, but need to copy it, delete it and then paste it manually to all tracks.)
So, do I name the album art "folder.jpg"? When you say delete it, what do I delete?

The Qmusic app is completely useless, as are all Apps I tried for streaming from a NAS to a receiver. No gapless playback, crappy GUIs, no sorting, strange behaviour all the time.
If you want access to your files when away from your network, what do you use?

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

If you want access to your files when away from your network, what do you use?

I've been Subsonic for a few years now. I can access my music anywhere I have an internet connection. It has cool features like adding users so I can give access to some friends and family. The android app is also very good.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

So, do I name the album art "folder.jpg"? When you say delete it, what do I delete?

The process of adding cover art for every track is as follows: Mark one track of the album, open the Info (cmd i), go to the cover tab, copy the cover (cmd c), close the Info. Mark all tracks of an album, open the Info, go to the cover tab, delete the existing cover, and paste the copied cover (cmd v). Press OK, close the Info and every song has the cover art embedded. No special folder or naming needed.

The process of adding cover art for every track is as follows: Mark one track of the album, open the Info (cmd i), go to the cover tab, copy the cover (cmd c), close the Info. Mark all tracks of an album, open the Info, go to the cover tab, delete the existing cover, and paste the copied cover (cmd v). Press OK, close the Info and every song has the cover art embedded. No special folder or naming needed.

Sorry, you lose me at "go to the cover tab".

Just to clarify, when I go into the iTunes files, the artwork appears to be embedded. When I play it through iTunes, the artwork appears as it should, but the problem occurs when I play the iTunes files through Qmusic. The audio plays fine, but the artwork doesn't appear.

No, it's much easier than that. You can select all the tracks then set the Artwork once by drag and drop onto the Artwork Tab.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Can you guys explain to me where the "cover tab" or "artwork tab" that you guys are referring to is located?

Can you guys explain to me where the "cover tab" or "artwork tab" that you guys are referring to is located?

If you're using a Mac, the "cover tab" will show up when you highlight a track in iTunes. Right-click and select "Get Info". A window opens up with various types of information on track. Select "Artwork" and you'll see the cover art embedded to that track.

An easier solution would be to download Yate, a tagging software. (There are others as well.) Use Yate to embed artwork and fix any other metadata issues one or multiple files at a time.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

If you're using a Mac, the "cover tab" will show up when you highlight a track in iTunes. Right-click and select "Get Info". A window opens up with various types of information on track. Select "Artwork" and you'll see the cover art embedded to that track.

An easier solution would be to download Yate, a tagging software. (There are others as well.) Use Yate to embed artwork and fix any other metadata issues one or multiple files at a time.

Sorry, now that I know what you are talking about, that is not exactly my issue per my original post. My iTunes library is on my mac and a copy of it is on my NAS. When I open iTunes on my mac, all the cover art appears. When I open the iTunes library on the NAS, it does not show artwork. When I use the QNAP mobile apps, the artwork doesn't show here either. I can't add artwork through iTunes. I do have Yate, and when I open the albums that don't show artwork on my NAS, it appears on Yate. All other metadata appears to be fine as well. I've even tried recopying my iTunes library that shows artwork, but still no success.

bluemark81,

Okay...so you have two copies of your library...are they using the same set of files? If so, the tagging should be done once to those files and you "should" be all set. Not sure why the artwork doesn't appear when you open the library on the QNAP.

With respect to the QNAP, while i use a QNAP TS-251 to store my audio files I don't use it as an iTunes server nor do I use any of their mobile apps. All of my artwork shows up on Lightning and Linn controllers which I use to control my Aries. I also make ALAC copies of all of my music to a Buffalo NAS for iTunes (download to iPod) and Sonos. I haven't had any problems with artwork on that file either.

I'll try the QNAP music player this weekend and report back.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

bluemark81,

Okay...so you have two copies of your library...are they using the same set of files? If so, the tagging should be done once to those files and you "should" be all set. Not sure why the artwork doesn't appear when you open the library on the QNAP.

With respect to the QNAP, while i use a QNAP TS-251 to store my audio files I don't use it as an iTunes server nor do I use any of their mobile apps. All of my artwork shows up on Lightning and Linn controllers which I use to control my Aries. I also make ALAC copies of all of my music to a Buffalo NAS for iTunes (download to iPod) and Sonos. I haven't had any problems with artwork on that file either.

I'll try the QNAP music player this weekend and report back.

Yes, both libraries are identical. One was copied from the other. I actually use the QNAP as a server for my exaSound, so not actually intended as an iTunes server either, but I'm encountering the noted issues if I do open it in iTunes or QNAP's own programs. When I use Linn Kazoo as my control point, I don't have any issues with artwork.

• 2 weeks later...

bluemark81,

Sorry for the delay. Set up the Music Library on the QNAP. Artwork shows up and all songs show up. Took quite a bit of time to indext the music files....was slow at first...and they showed up progressively and in random order. Did you give it enough time? Note that I only checked the web-based app...not on ipad and iphone. Did you check the web-based app?

bluemark81,

Sorry for the delay. Set up the Music Library on the QNAP. Artwork shows up and all songs show up. Took quite a bit of time to indext the music files....was slow at first...and they showed up progressively and in random order. Did you give it enough time? Note that I only checked the web-based app...not on ipad and iphone. Did you check the web-based app?

Yes, I let it sit for hours, but no artwork ever appeared. What web based app? The issue is the same on both ipad and iphone.

I only access the QNAP through Firefox or Safari on my MacBook. The browser interface has a variety of apps, including a music station, video station, etc. I used music station to play the files on my Mac to run the test for you. Files played and artwork showed up. Didn't you set up the QNAP through the browser interface?

I only access the QNAP through Firefox or Safari on my MacBook. The browser interface has a variety of apps, including a music station, video station, etc. I used music station to play the files on my Mac to run the test for you. Files played and artwork showed up. Didn't you set up the QNAP through the browser interface?

I use Firefox on a Mac which is what I used to set up the QNAP. I have no explanation.