IGNORED

I need a music player with its own operating system

Hello

Does anyone know of a music player with its own operating system, rather like daphile but not a server needing to be controlled over the network.

I know daphile will work well with a keyboard, monitor and mouse permanantly connected but it has pretty basic gui for a decent music player.

Preference would be linux and small and would play into a usb dac.

Thanks

thyristor44

Hello

Does anyone know of a music player with its own operating system, rather like daphile but not a server needing to be controlled over the network.

I know daphile will work well with a keyboard, monitor and mouse permanantly connected but it has pretty basic gui for a decent music player.

Preference would be linux and small and would play into a usb dac.

Thanks

thyristor44

Sounds like MPD would work for you. It can be ran on a Raspberry Pi, hacked Pogoplug and some other devices/computers.

Most (if not all) music servers have an operating system, so I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.

If your objective is an embedded Linux based O/S, take a look at Voyage MPD. It uses mpd as music server, could exist completely without video card and is definitely headless. You set it up via ssh or Web interface and once it's configured you just need your phone or tablet to control it [1]. Use your server like an appliance and just switch it on and off and never worry about proper shutdown [2] As with all Linux systems, your DAC needs to be USB Audio class 2 compliant for it to work.

[1] Other clients exist, but this is the most comfortable setup.

[2] One exception: after changing the configuration or updating the database, you need to shut it down normally to get it to persist it's configuration.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Most (if not all) music servers have an operating system, so I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.

If your objective is an embedded Linux based O/S, take a look at Voyage MPD. It uses mpd as music server, could exist completely without video card and is definitely headless. You set it up via ssh or Web interface and once it's configured you just need your phone or tablet to control it [1]. Use your server like an appliance and just switch it on and off and never worry about proper shutdown [2] As with all Linux systems, your DAC needs to be USB Audio class 2 compliant for it to work.

[1] Other clients exist, but this is the most comfortable setup.

[2] One exception: after changing the configuration or updating the database, you need to shut it down normally to get it to persist it's configuration.

I dont want a server or headless or web interface as this means I always need a pc or something to select music. I want something I can switch on, select a track and play it directly. Say an old pc or laptop coupled to usb dac. But with dedicated music player that auto boots.

I dont want a server or headless or web interface as this means I always need a pc or something to select music. I want something I can switch on, select a track and play it directly. Say an old pc or laptop coupled to usb dac. But with dedicated music player that auto boots.

Boy, I do have to admit, you are confusing me here.

If you want a full PC station, then simply run Windows or Linux and have your login automatically run iTunes, Pure Music, JRMC, or whatever player you prefer. Problem solved.

If you want something with a touch screen or whatever, then you might like the Sony player. Sweet little thing, and it just works.

There are dozens of possibilities in between those two options, but pretty much everything has an OS on it. Or, any computer can be configured to go from power off to music player display without user intervention.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Then try Voyage MPD, it does just that. Or are you looking for a sqeezebox touch clone?

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

It runs on x86 hardware, the old laptop you mentioned would do for a start.

I use Daphile all the time but it needs another pc to control it and thats not always possible on my spare system

I was looking for exactly what you are looking for.

I found Daphile and not give it up more!

You do not need a "serious" PC to host it or control it.

You can install Daphile inside a Fijitsu Futro s450 or S550 (inexpensive, fanless, plus an 8GB CF) and use it as streamer to the USB DAC input.

Then you control Daphile with smartphone / tablet / etc ... (I suggest Orange Squeeze).

I know the SBT was perfect for such a use but... now Daphile supports 24/192 PCM, native DSD, FIR, convolution, ... Too much to renounce.

I was looking for exactly what you are looking for.

I found Daphile and not give it up more!

You do not need a "serious" PC to host it or control it.

You can install Daphile inside a Fijitsu Futro s450 or S550 (inexpensive, fanless, plus an 8GB CF) and use it as streamer to the USB DAC input.

Then you control Daphile with smartphone / tablet / etc ... (I suggest Orange Squeeze).

I know the SBT was perfect for such a use but... now Daphile supports 24/192 PCM, native DSD, FIR, convolution, ... Too much to renounce.

I use daphile as my main server as I am always on my laptop. My second system I dont take the laptop, dont use a phone, and just want to play somethinhg rather like a cd player. I use a wyse cx90 thin client with 2gb flash and 1gb ram forthe main daphile. Perfect for me. I do like daphile.

• 1 year later...
I suggest you to try Daphile. The best (sound and graphic layout) that i ever tried.

What have you tried before?

Mac Os with CAD optimisation script?

Win server 2012r2 with AO?

i would really appreciate you sharing your experience.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

What have you tried before?

Mac Os with CAD optimisation script?

Win server 2012r2 with AO?

i would really appreciate you sharing your experience.

I used jriver, amarra, audirvana, roon before and now i am using daphile which is best than the others for my system. I highly recommended

ASR Emitter I Plus - Opera Quinta - Lks ES9018 II - Pioneer SC-LX76 - Pioneer BDP-150 - Akai AP-001C Turntable - Focal Sib - Rel Q150EMK2 - Curious Usb - Atlas Hyper - DhLabs Power Plus - NewClassD opamps - Jriver-->Audirvana-->Daphile....