IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

8 hours ago, Kelly said:

I have a question about purchasing a new microRendu. If I purchase a new unit from the Sonore website will it have the "original version" 1.3 board and not the most recent 1.4 board? Or do all new units ship with the most recent hardware?

All new units are 1.3 main board design. This is clearly posted on our website. 

On 10/4/2017 at 10:01 PM, Kelly said:

A bit prickly eh? It just seems like a weird sales model to sell "new" units that are not the latest version at full price. So I asked.

We are just trying to give owners a change to update their unit first. You can always by an ultraRendu. 

3 hours ago, Summit said:

Many are those that have experience clearly better sound by changing to a “better” PSU on mR and other similar products, me included. I think it’s hard to find any post impression on CA that have not got better sound after going from a Ifi to something like a LPS-1, than the same could be said about upgrade to 1.4 so I understand you.

To me however the upgrade on PSU was a bigger SQ improvement than going from mR 1.3 to uR. To me the mR already sound right with a MCRU LPS which it didn’t did with Ifi. With uR the difference was mostly in better clarity and enhanced refinement, but it can all be system depending I guess.

The LPS-1 should not be everyones last power supply. There are other power supplies you use in combination with the micro/ultraRendu. 

I have been very busy this week, but I don't recall John posting that this noise gets into the DAC:) I said this on another thread over the weekend: 

There is not enough research posted by John to make a clear guideline of what is best. John didn't measure any of this at the analog output of a DAC so you may be correcting an issue that doesn't exist in your system. We don't know if this affects non bus powered DACs, galvanically isolated DACs, optically isolate DACs, balanced outputs on DACs, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lgp said:

Well, now it happened again and this time I am not able to get it working again. I've tried power cycling DAC and microRendu, updating microRendu and reconnecting the USB cable. I've done this in different order but I am still not able to get it working.

I would also like to mention the reboot function in the web GUI System -> Reboot has never worked properly since the device just shuts down and never boots up again. This may not be related to the other problems I have.

Any tips or solutions?

Some DACs are better than others at coming up on the system. Have a look at DAC Diagnostics to see if the unit is initializing it. As for the reboot symptom we can resolve it, but it has to come in for service. We do this for everyone during the 1.4 hardware update.   

20 hours ago, arrjmai said:

just bought refurbished one apparently it's a fault unit spent 45 usd import tax + 512 usd refurbished I felt ripped off. I had spent the whole day today cancelled my lover's appointment as just came back from a long trip but music audio gears comes first then to figuring out with help from Jesus sonore guy support team. It didn't work at all. Router connected direct with microrendu at one point to point and router connected direct to MacBook Pro. Ethernet connection looks good on MacBook Pro but sonicorbiter can't find microrendu. I just wanted to try if this little small brick(as for me now because it doesn't work at all) so I could make my considering to upgrade to the better quality one. Has anyone had this experience before I need some help. Power from teradak power supplied 7v 1a. Strange behave amber light flash one second then gone, unplugged and plugged in amber flashed one second and gone,  two hours later plugged power to turn on amber lights flashing from time to time. It's ruined my day. Why would they sent defected unit why didn't they check the item before sending out for the replacement do I have to pay again 45 usd if it won't work again I spent about 600 usd for a small brick then. Thank you in advance for your help.

I would think you would feel ripped off if we did not offer you support. However, we are sending you a replacement SD card (per our offline emails) in an attempt to correct the issue. FYI The units are tested in batches and then placed in a ready bin for future sale. It's unfortunate this unit has an issue, but these things happen.   

17 hours ago, lgp said:

The DAC never showed up in DAC Diagnostics but it did after this procedure:

1. Replaced my USB cable with an inexpensive usb cable for printers. Nothing happened.
  2. Inserted a coax cable from my Oppo player to my DAC and everything ok.
  3. Connected the DAC to my MacBook via printer usb cable and the DAC was working fine.
  4. Reinserted the cable to microRendu and the DAC was not showing up.
  5. Rebooted the microRendu via Web GUI and (out of nowhere!) is showed up in DAC Diagnostics!
  6. Replaced the chip printer usb cable with my more expensive cable and everything is still fine!

So now I'm finally sitting and listening to music again but the frustration is quite high but luckily 101 Eastbound by Fourplay is soothing :)

So what can I do to get the microRendu run more stable? Is upgrade the only solution? Or maybe I should upgrade for other reasons?

One thing that might be a clue is #4. The DACs that exhibit this behavior like it when you reboot the unit. One thing that might cause this issue is switching from USB input to SPDIF input and back to USB input on your DAC. Finally, try updating the unit because recently we added some work arounds that might be helpful in the case. There no guarantee though and your DAC may just need its own firmware update to play nice in the sand box.    

10 hours ago, occamsrazor said:

@Charente

Hi, don't worry your answer was clear and I did understand that your answer was only about MPD/DLNA and Audirvana.

I was just going on further.... to wonder why it is not possible to have all the modes active, and for the unit to receive any stream and automatically switch between them according to whatever is the latest stream received. I realise it does not work this way, was just wondering why it was not possible.

That is asking for trouble. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is hard to say since we don't know anything about KEF's ethernet or USB implementation. Adding the microRendu gives you a lot more features that you don't get with Roon alone. Anyway, there are people on sides of the fence on this so its really up to you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 5:12 PM, guls said:

I was trying to save on the power supply! I read elsewhere on a SOTM SMS-200 review that it worked with a 12V DC without issue though it is also specced lower. As long as 12V doesn't damage the device I wanted to try.

Do not use 12V. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 10:36 PM, Wiffle said:

Hi All, desperately hope someone can help me!

I've been using Roon into a uRendu and Gieseler Klein DAC for a few months now and everything was sweet. Last night I switched my Roon output to a headphone DAC for a bit, and when I tried to switch back to the main system it wasn't showing up as an audio zone. For some reason it appears the Urendu is no longer "seeing" the DAC; in DAC Diagnostics it's simply not showing up. I've tried switching everything off/on but to no avail, and I've also tried with a different USB lead to no avail.

HELP!!!!

Cheers, Steve

This is the basic trouble shooting guide for this:

The Rendu needs to sees your DAC before it will show up in Roon. To verify if the Rendu sees yours DAC go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the DAC is not listed you may have to remove and reconnect the USB cable, then refresh the page. If your DAC is still not listed try power cycling the DAC followed by power cycling the Rendu and then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

On 12/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, Wiffle said:

Did we get a fix for this? It's exactly what mine is saying (with a previously-working Gieseler Klein DAC)?

Cheers, Steve

It's not exactly same and in fact it's very different. That DAC requires that the operating system load its USB firmware when the unit boots. It's a mess to get it to work and It works on 2.3, but not on 2.5. 

15 hours ago, Wiffle said:

Shutdown/reboot didn't work on my MR running 2.5 either; just did nothing.

I will try the new kernel update after NYE; I'd like to have stress-free playback from 2.3 to see in the new year!

This kind of issue can only be fixed with firmware and not on the operating system. The unit would have to come in for service if you want it checked out.