IGNORED

Wifi audio reciver?

I think a Chromecast Audio would be ideal for you. Fits your requirements, is cheap also, and works perfectly with Spotify.

This assumes primary devices to stream from are Android based, right? If you prefer iDevices or Mac I'd go with ATV3 or Airport Express. I know one could use google apps even on iDevices but it is quite inconvenient and also includes lots of inconvenient assumptions.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

This assumes primary devices to stream from are Android based, right? If you prefer iDevices or Mac I'd go with ATV3 or Airport Express. I know one could use google apps even on iDevices but it is quite inconvenient and also includes lots of inconvenient assumptions.

Not necessarily. The great thing about Chromecast is that if the app supports it, it doesn't matter if you control it from android or ios. For instance Plex, Youtube and Spotify support casting to a Chromecast. And 'Spotify connect' works really well. The Chromecast picks up the stream from internet, so the signal does not go through your mobile phone or tablet, and is not draining your battery.

On idevices airplay works great, for itunes, but for Spotify a Chromecast works brilliantly.

+1 to Chromecast Audio, fits the bill perfectly, quality is excellent (actually dependent on the DAC), and simply put it works.

I'm using it in 3 different rooms, and it has pretty much retired my Sonos system.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

What does the Chromecast do that the Sonos doesn't?

Cost hundreds less? On the other hand Sonos can index a network drive with files. I wouldn't compare apple to oranges.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

What does the Chromecast do that the Sonos doesn't?

Connects to DACs, connects to non-Sonos speakers (that sound way better), gives life to old analog equipment, etc.

And yes, costs only $35 per piece.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther