IGNORED

Small but confusing problem with JRiver19

solrighal

Hi folks.

My wife bought me a JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker so we can listen to music out on the balcony in the evenings. It works pretty well for what it is. Anyway, yesterday I wanted to listen to a particular album which happens to be a 24-bit FLAC version. It wouldn't play at all. So I loaded up my own MP3 conversion (converted with the built-in conversion function) and the album still won't play. Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

When the 24-bit version wouldn't play I wasn't entirely surprised and it was no big deal since the Flip 3 isn't good enough to hear any sonic advantage. However when the subsequent 16-bit version wouldn't play either I was surprised to say the least. I've been through JRiver's settings but can't find anything tht particularly stand out as being set wrong.

Any ideas or thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks,

Gordon.

You can setup "zones" in JRMC, once of which would be the JBL Flip3 speaker, assuming your JRMC computer can see the speaker. (That last bit is important.)

For each zone, you can specify any transformations you want for the output, in this case, specifying 16/44.1 output. JRMC will automagically convert the file, whatever the format may be, to whatever format you specify to accommodate the output device.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You can setup "zones" in JRMC, once of which would be the JBL Flip3 speaker, assuming your JRMC computer can see the speaker. (That last bit is important.)

For each zone, you can specify any transformations you want for the output, in this case, specifying 16/44.1 output. JRMC will automagically convert the file, whatever the format may be, to whatever format you specify to accommodate the output device.

I can't say I unnderstand about the "zones" you're talking about but I do appreciate the input.

i'm new on JRiver and i have v21...

and on a mac mini, but menu should be similar i think with other.

Zones menu is in Tools... Options... Hit Audio on left, then you'll see the ZonesSwitch menu in Settings menu

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I can't say I unnderstand about the "zones" you're talking about but I do appreciate the input.

I don't have a JRMC session up on a computer in front of me, but if I remember rightly, the zones are the "Playing On..." entries in the left hand part of the menu. Remote systems you can play to will appear as a zone. Once you click on a zone, the DSP settings or changes will apply to that zone.

That isn't crystal clear, but I am just not where I can see it or screenshot it right now. Perhaps some other kind soul will? :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

i'm new on JRiver and i have v21...

and on a mac mini, but menu should be similar i think with other.

Zones menu is in Tools... Options... Hit Audio on left, then you'll see the ZonesSwitch menu in Settings menu

Brilliant! You are my hero. It's not exactly as you describe on version 19 but it's damn close. I created a new zone called Flip 3, set it to use the Flip 3 as output device and then set the bitrate to 44.1.

Many thanks mate. I can now uninstall Clementine.