IGNORED

switching between sources?

pgb

I'm a newbie and haven't found the answer so here I go. How would I switch between sources? Say I have a Weiss, Lavry or berkeley DAC w/ volume control and then I have an analog rig with a phonostage also with a volume control. I'd like to take the purist approach with no preamp but short of pulling my interconnects out of my amp to switch, what are the solutions to switch between sources without a preamp?

Toucan (or you can) easily get a switch with 2 inputs (RCA or XLR) with a single output. Sorry I don't have any brands to suggest but try pro-audio suppliers.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

would you consider a modification to the amp with a good quality selector on the analog feeds? Or would you consider changing the amp? I have a multi input amp from Rotel its the RMB-1075 and it has analog rca input and a 5.1 computer input. Not sure if other better amps have this though. It might be a curious research project. Lets see if other members can pitch in and provide a cleaner solution.

Regards

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

let me know if I did not understand your question correctly?

I wonder if you used something like a Metric Halo/ Amarra Model 4 , it might be possible to keep the signal analogue , or at worst utilise the units ADC and then DAC , ( seems a shame to turn an analogue signal to digital and then back to analogue ),the ULN8 has an analogue volume control I believe, I will check with the guys at Sonic.

Keith.

"would you consider a modification to the amp with a good quality selector on the analog feeds?"

The suggestion by Jesus is an excellent one if you have DIY capabilities, but unfortunately, it appears that the vast majority of members have no experience in this area.

I would also recommend that people who use an addon Input Source Switch, also switch the "earth" side of each input as well, as the effect of the AC mains residual from the many SMPS powered CD players, STBs etc. degrades the overall signal to noise ratio of the playback equipment. This effect is additive , and can even result in a nasty bite when plugging into/unplugging from an amplifier which uses a 3 pin power plug. By way of explanation, there is a 100nF capacitor between the AC side of the SMPS supplies and the secondary side of the SMPS supplies which result in the "earth" side of the output connectors of this type of equipment having an AC component approaching that of the mains suppply, albeit from a very high impedance.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020