IGNORED

Is there really a need for a USB to S/PDIF converter?

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if there really is a need for a usb converter. Im currently running a HP DM1250 usb out to a V-90 DAC>Marantz sr 7001. I see some people prefer them, but are they really needed?

thanks guys

-a novice computer audiophile

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

Furman PTS-8 surge protection

Need? No. Want? Maybe.

If you are happy with the sound quality you've achieved with your current gear, don't bother. If you're curious to see if you can elevate that sound quality, to eek out more, then it might be worth investing .. maybe. Any increase in fidelity will likely be incremental rather than massive. Will it be worth it? Only you can answer that. Consider that you are on an audiophile site with crazy-ass folks who do exactly what you are asking about and will likely say YES and tell you what you should purchase. Need? Of course! Do it now ;)

No IMHO. I've always had better results with Toslink, but then again most of my content is Audio CD and not high-resolution audio.

Do you mean toslink from your computer?

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

Do you mean toslink from your computer?

Yes, I have run through the full spectrum of optical outputs from the motherboard, sound cards, and even wireless DACs (with optical inputs). Now I'm running 100% wireless Chromecast Audio and a Raspberry Pi running off a power bank all in the name of isolation from electrical noise.

Personally, I find Toslink has a tad bit more detail than USB that is easily identifiable even in my mid hi-fi setup.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Yes, I have run through the full spectrum of optical outputs from the motherboard, sound cards, and even wireless DACs (with optical inputs). Now I'm running 100% wireless Chromecast Audio and a Raspberry Pi running off a power bank all in the name of isolation from electrical noise.

Personally, I find Toslink has a tad bit more detail than USB that is easily identifiable even in my mid hi-fi setup.

Many people find that well implemented Coax SPDIF outperforms Toslink, partly due to the fact that conversion to and from Optical is an additional process at both ends, and that Toslink receivers bandwidth's vary greatly. Glass Toslink cables also have the potential to outperform normal Toslink cables due to their much wider bandwidth and lower attenuation.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Does your DAC only have a S/PDIF input? Then yes.

No. It's the v90. This is all for my setup in the rec room. I'm currently outputting via HDMI, which I understand is awful at clocking and jitter into a onkyo tx-sr876. I would like an affordable usb dac.

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

Does your DAC only have a S/PDIF input? Then yes.

No. It's the v90. This is all for my setup in the rec room. I'm currently outputting via HDMI, which I understand is awful at clocking and jitter into a onkyo tx-sr876. I would like an affordable usb dac.

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

Actually the Schiit's and the SMSL's do a really wonderful job and at a really good budget with optical inputs.

Thank You!

I like the price of the Schiit Moda 2. looks nice too.

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

are you using this? PCM2704 USB DAC USB Power Sound Card Decoding Deck Raspberry Pi w Fiber Coaxial - Newegg.com

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects

No, my chain is external NAS connected to the Raspberry Pi with wireless streaming to Chromecast Audio which is connected to the DAC.

I'm not sure what has added the most benefit, the Chromecast Audio, the Raspberry Pi, the Moode Audio Player running on the Pi, or any other part of the equation that I am completely missing out on, but with this present setup my speakers have completely disappeared and the sound has become smoother. It's pretty much certain I'm not going to be changing anything anytime soon, and why I'm singing praises of optical (which I have always preferred and used), Chromecast Audio, and the Raspberry Pi. I am experiencing audio Nirvana with the addition of two $35 devices. From where I stand, it doesn't really get any better than this.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

So I grab the Schiit modi Uber 2 to use with my onkyo 876. Im not sure I like the sound of it. certain instruments sound furthurr away. I have been toggling between HDMI out (from the hp laptop) and usb out into the Schiit. For instance, listening to a 24/96 copy of wish you were here, when the acustic guitar comes in it sounds furthur away with the schiit. its more pronounced and in front of all othere sounds when suing the hdmi out.

So I think the burr brown pcm1796 dacs in the onkyo may be better....thionking of maybe just doing a usb to spdif to onkyo....

any thoughts?

Living Room

Marantz SR7001

Oppo BDP-93

Panasonic P50U50 Plasma

Paradigm Monitor 9 V.6

M&K V-75 II Sub

AudioQuest interconnects