IGNORED

Ethernet NAS to Mac questions

I am currently connecting a WD MyBook Live to a Macbook with a 5 metre CAT6 cable.

Files take takes some time to load when browsing with iTunes, even with a workaround I saw online that suggest connecting with cifs:// and every once in a while I get a dropout when playing music.

What do you think could be the cause of this problem?

WD's software, the NAS' hardware?

Thanks,

Ric

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I am currently connecting a WD MyBook Live to a Macbook with a 5 metre CAT6 cable.

Files take takes some time to load when browsing with iTunes, even with a workaround I saw online that suggest connecting with cifs:// and every once in a while I get a dropout when playing music.

What do you think could be the cause of this problem?

WD's software, the NAS' hardware?

Thanks,

Ric

Hard to say. I'd guess that you either have a configuration issue somewhere or a hardware issue. You could try running some disk speed testing diagnostics.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Thanks.

I've just tried changing from CIFS to SMB and it's working perfectly...for how, who know?

I "hate" computers.

R

An even better way is to create a closed network. Set the Mac Ethernet port to 192.168.0.1, submask 255.255.255.0 with router set to 192.168.0.1. You can enter DNS as 192.168.0.1 also. Then configure the MyBook address as 192.168.0.2, submask 255.255.255.0 and router as 192.168.0.2. It will then appear automatically without having to use SMB.

An even better way is to create a closed network. Set the Mac Ethernet port to 192.168.0.1, submask 255.255.255.0 with router set to 192.168.0.1. You can enter DNS as 192.168.0.1 also. Then configure the MyBook address as 192.168.0.2, submask 255.255.255.0 and router as 192.168.0.2. It will then appear automatically without having to use SMB.

My Macbook is connected directly to the WD NAS (ethernet).

Would I still be able to use a network configuration similar to the one you propose?

I can always get a router if it helps...

R

My Macbook is connected directly to the WD NAS (ethernet).

Would I still be able to use a network configuration similar to the one you propose?

I can always get a router if it helps...

R

No, the whole point is to avoid a router and create a direct connection, just a more stable one than you currently have. You can configure both the Mac and the WD as I suggested. The other advantage is that the WD will essentially have a static IP address, which is very important for cataloguing software like iTunes or JRiver. Even if you turn the whole system off (which I do to save wear and tear on my NAS) Jriver and iTunes will always see the same library at startup.

I would also suggest that if you are using a stock Cat6 cable, try Blue Jeans Cat6. It's not expensive and it makes a pretty big sonic difference.

Let me know if you need help. I'm not an expert but I was able to do this. :-)

After I discovered that one has to use the browser to access the NAS' control panel it was easy.

Thanks so much for the tip, it's taken care of the slow access and the dropouts.

Cheers,

Ricardo