IGNORED

Help needed with Airport Extreme Setup

I have been planning to buy an Auralic Aries for some time now, but have been delayed by various circumstances. In the meantime, I have upgraded my phone and network wiring (my internet is DSL), bought an Airport Extreme, and bought an iPad Mini to control the Aries. My modem and router are one unit, but I have obtained instructions from the manufacturer to bridge the modem so I can connect the Airport Extreme.

My intention is to set up the router as has been suggested by others, with the Aries on the 5Ghz band and everything else on the 2.4Ghz band. My problem is, getting information on how to set this up has been difficult. I've looked at Apple's website and watched YouTube videos, but they all have had very basic information. I've also tried searching this forum, but have never had much success finding what I was looking for.

As I understand it, I need to get into the router's configuration and set up the two bands so that devices will only connect to the appropriate band. I've not found instructions on how to do this, and would appreciate someone either providing me those instructions or directing me to where I can access that information. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark

I have been planning to buy an Auralic Aries for some time now, but have been delayed by various circumstances. In the meantime, I have upgraded my phone and network wiring (my internet is DSL), bought an Airport Extreme, and bought an iPad Mini to control the Aries. My modem and router are one unit, but I have obtained instructions from the manufacturer to bridge the modem so I can connect the Airport Extreme.

My intention is to set up the router as has been suggested by others, with the Aries on the 5Ghz band and everything else on the 2.4Ghz band. My problem is, getting information on how to set this up has been difficult. I've looked at Apple's website and watched YouTube videos, but they all have had very basic information. I've also tried searching this forum, but have never had much success finding what I was looking for.

As I understand it, I need to get into the router's configuration and set up the two bands so that devices will only connect to the appropriate band. I've not found instructions on how to do this, and would appreciate someone either providing me those instructions or directing me to where I can access that information. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark

I don't know of a way to automatically have devices connect to "only the appropriate band", but easiest would be to name your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks separately, then just point the devices to the network you want to connect to.

To do so, start up AirPort Utility and go into the config. Choose the "Wireless" tab. Choose "Wireless Options . . ." button. Enable the option to choose a 5Ghz network name and choose a suitable name (different from what you chose for the 2.4Ghz network). Click "Save" and the router will reboot.

Once reboot is complete, your devices should see two separate networks: a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz. Choose the one you wish for each device.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

...My modem and router are one unit, but I have obtained instructions from the manufacturer to bridge the modem so I can connect the Airport Extreme. Mark
"Define: Bridge mode is the configuration that disables the NAT feature on the modem and allows a router to function as a DHCP server without an IP Address conflict". If the Airport Express is put into bridge mode, you will be using your original DSL router's 2.4 and 5Ghz configuration for your access points.
I don't know of a way to automatically have devices connect to "only the appropriate band", but easiest would be to name your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks separately, then just point the devices to the network you want to connect to.

To do so, start up AirPort Utility and go into the config. Choose the "Wireless" tab. Choose "Wireless Options . . ." button. Enable the option to choose a 5Ghz network name and choose a suitable name (different from what you chose for the 2.4Ghz network). Click "Save" and the router will reboot.

Once reboot is complete, your devices should see two separate networks: a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz. Choose the one you wish for each device.

Thanks John, that's just what I needed. I expected the solution to be more complicated.

Mark