IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think you are not looking at the full manual, but only the quick start guide. Included in your download was a PDF manual. It should still be in the HQPlayer folder on your machine.

Ok,

I'm interested but I've gotta ask the question and hopefully this isn't taken the wrong way. Where's all the documentation for getting this seemingly great audio program up and running?

I see a VERY short "quick start guide" on the website which covers the bare bones usage of the HQ Player program but is there any guides available on the 100+ steps that are needed to take place before one attempts to use the HQ Player software? Something that covers how one gets to that point?

I can't help but wonder why the creator would want to limit themselves to such a small audience of Users of this seemingly great program due to the lack of even basic documentation required to make it all work.

If it were me, and after seeing all the buzz about it I would drop everything in my hands and spend whatever time was required to put something together that a person capable of reading and following directions could follow to get this program up and running. I'm sure the increased sales afterwards would more than account for the time needed to create something.

What am I missing here?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 11 months later...

I thought this looked beautiful and promising, but likely out of my budget range.

Calyos FANLESS PC / Workstation | Calyos

I am just looking for a way to do DSD512 without the need for a GPU since my new soon to be delivered DAC can handle DSD512. My current i7-3770s can easily handle DSD256 but struggles a bit with 512 and some of the different filters and modulators. Regarding the fan, I just have a philosophical dislike of a fan in my music PC, especially since it resides in my music room. I cannot verify if there is electrical fan noise but I would just rather not even have the risk. So this is why I prefer to build music pcs that are silent with no moving parts.

Forrest:

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

If you are comfortable with DIY you can do that using Beaglebone Black v.C, Twistedpair Hermes, Cronus with clocks.  Pull the I2S stream straight into DAC.

Is that "version C" ?

Forrest:

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Could you say which brand GTX 2080 you have please?

And is it the 2080 or 2080 Ti?

Forrest:

• 3 months later...

Miska: Forgive me it this has been asked before, but will HQPlayer be using some of the new 20x0 features such as tensor cores, DLSS and such? If not, then it might make sense for a 1080ti over a 2080 in both price and performance.

Forrest:

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I don't understand.

As I mentioned, he can do xtr DSD512 with an i7-8700 (not K...) and no CUDA offloading... which means no GPU help...

Based on this, i9-9900K without a separate GPU should be pretty good... if I build one, I can confirm for sure.

It's all guessing until I see it with my own eyes.

If you go this route, please check for rate family changes too. In my set up, that is where the GPU seems to work the most. Then again, I am using an old i7 3770k and a gtx1060. I can do most everything but XTR and shifting families such as 48k>22MHz. The latter pegs my GPU, the former pegs both IIRC.

Forrest:

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Not explicitly, but I don't know how clever the CUDA toolkit is in this respect. The documentation is not very clear about it. I could add more explicit support for it, I just need to get myself an SLI setup to test it first. But I think in fact SLI applies only to graphics and not compute. So you could as well have just two or more cards without connecting the them (using nowadays something called NVlink).

Oh, now that makes sense. It is merely a resource or something then. What about the new tensor cores and such for the 20x0 cards. Would that make a difference in HQP?

Forrest:

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, rickca said:

I know you need an unlocked CPU for overclocking, but can you not underclock a locked CPU?  Does someone understand this?  I've never tried it.

To my knowledge you need an unlocked chip to be able to adjust the clocking up OR down.

Forrest:

21 hours ago, rickca said:

Well, I've read that.  But it's also been reported that the i9-9900K can do 4.7 GHz all-core boost without overclocking, which surely must take more than 95W.

I am not sure why you would assume that as the all core boost (sh/w)ould have been represented in the specs as I understand it. I do not know for sure, but that would seem to be the purpose of that spec.

Forrest:

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, rando said:

Fans - Continuing on from CPU cooler/case.  If you do go with an AIO, replace all three fans on the radiator with the best performing yet quiet option you can find.  Otherwise this a highly complex and personal topic subject to case design, hardware installed, and available airways.  Positive pressure is your friend and the enemy of hardware killing dust. 

How does one create positive pressure in a case without adding dust? Seriously. I work in a dusty wood shop, and would love some suggestions.

Forrest:

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Miska said:

But I think the current models come with AM4 kit...

That is what it says on my box!

Forrest:

• 4 months later...
On 12/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Miska said:

Hard to say, I have only RTX 2080 and 2080Ti. And I was surprised how much faster 2080Ti was compared to 2080.

But as rough ballpark, GPU shouldn't be cheaper than the CPU, or otherwise it will cause just slowdown (CPU is waiting for GPU to complete work).

Thank you Miska.I have left my gtx1060 in and on but cannot say it makes a difference with my i9.

Forrest:

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ChrisVH said:

Here is my near final parts list for PC server that will be used for Roon > HQPlayer &  Photoshop tasks (not video).

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/chrisvh/saved/

I already have the 9900KS processor, and am about to acquire all the other parts, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to tweak? It's been about 4-5 months since I assembled this list (which was solid at the time), but maybe something new out there for RAM or drives that might make more sense?

TIA

Deleted, answered my own question in that 10 bit color requires that GPU.

Forrest: