IGNORED

ECdesigns

• 5 months later...

I played with the MOS24 and the UPL16 for two years now, it's a great combination, exchanged the UPL16 for the UPL96 in combination with my MOS24, and it's a huge step foreward, also exchanged my. XTOS USB to Toslink converter for a U192ETL with my MOS24 and it's also a big step foreward for my streaming, source for streaming is a NUC with Audiolinux.

The UPL96 MOS24 is still superior.

1 hour ago, M_audio said:

I use XTOS to feed Mosaic T16 DAC, and was thinking if the U192ETL might be better?
How much better is it?

Although XTOS is Mini-USB in -> Mini-TOSLink out, meaning i would have to change 2 cables, namely USB and MiniTOSLink too. 

I used the XTOS with a seperate Tentlabs power supply and a lifatec glassfiber cable, exchanged it for the U192ETL with ETL cable, and it sounded much much better in a way, that I can enjoy streaming again, you have to change only one cable, the USB A-B cable, the ETL cable comes with the U192 ETL.

11 hours ago, Norton said:

Just getting to know this phenomenon (MOS16, UPL16 and UTOS now in my ECD closet)!  I bet they are already thinking about  the “next generation”.

I really wanted their combined SD card player/DAC (the vaguely triangular one with TDA1451) a few years back, but they’d already  sold out and moved on.  Did you have/try one?

Started years ago with there triangle SD card player wit 1543 DAC chip, sinds then

I had a lot of other designs from there hand suchs as there 1543 dual USB DAC, there Mosaic USB, there toslink DAC, some designs where a step backwards so I skiped them.

Never had there 1541 DAC series, heard them at there shop, but wasn't impressed, very clinical yet detailed sound.

12 hours ago, hopkins said:

I hear you! 

ECD should make a little switch box to commute between the two sources for one DAC, if that does not deteriorate the signal. 

I tried once there Toslink switch from there earlier disign Mosaic toslink DAC, but it deteriorates the sound, tried a mechanical switc, same here, then I decided to take  separate convertors and switch them pasive in the analog signal.

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing.

Do you think that the Tentlabs PS is superior to the standard ECD PS for the Fractal DAC?

Matt

Yes it is, I opened the fractal power supply, it isn't even stabilized, just recitified and filtered, any stabilized PS will do a better job, the TL
PS are very low noise, they are intended for low noise heater supply, I used them with success in the former ECD stuff.

25 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Do I understand it right that you use a linear power supply to feed the Tentlabs 5VDC version?

What voltage is the LPS? I guess it should be from 8 to 12VDC?

Would you have a picture?

No, the input of a TL PS is say about 8 V AC, the TL PS can deliver 5 V DC 1500 mA.

In the photo you'll see a PS witn 4 TL PS 5  V, powered by 2 toroids for optimal separation.

DSCF2255-1.JPG

5 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I own a Khadas, and however much I like it, and in spite of the glowing feedback and measurements you can read about, it is not the most transparent DAC out there. It has a well balanced and pleasing sound, but the fact that it may not be sensitive to upstream components may only mean that it is limited in some way.

Concerning the power supply, ECD did mention that the power supply to the U192 could be improved upon (as opposed to powering it from the source).

For the DAC, I have no idea, and don't intend on trying alternatives, as I don't see that as a priority, but others have and reported an improvement. 

I believe ECD does take into account customer feedback, and as we well know are always striving to improve their products. So if there are opportunities for improvement I can only encourage people to have that discussion with them.

Put the Fractal DAC on a Tentlabs 5 V shunt supply, it's a huge differance, the original PS dilivered with the Fractal DAC is just a rectified PS with filtering and no stabilization what so ever, they keep on doing this with there products for years saying it doesn't make a difference......but it does.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, murphythecat87 said:

anyone compared the Mosaic T to the Fractal? I have the Mosaic T dac from ec designs and the Mos16

I will order the u192ETL, but it seems from reading a bit that the Mosaic t is quite similar to the Fractal, whereas the Fractal and MOS16 were totally different.

I to own the Mosaic T and the Mosaic24, the Fractal DAC is a complete other 

8 hours ago, murphythecat87 said:

anyone compared the Mosaic T to the Fractal? I have the Mosaic T dac from ec designs and the Mos16

I will order the u192ETL, but it seems from reading a bit that the Mosaic t is quite similar to the Fractal, whereas the Fractal and MOS16 were totally different.

I to own the Mosaic T and the Mosaic24, the Fractal DAC is a complete other league, there best product so far, the combination UPL96 Fractal DAC is exceptional.

1 hour ago, murphythecat87 said:

wow, I didnt expect someone actually having the Mosaic T

care to explain the improvement in sq? do you use the U192EL as source of the Mosaic T as well?

I personally love the Mosaic t but ok I'll order the fractal dac as well! thanks

The mosaic T and Mosaic 24 are obsolete now, I'm using two Fractal DAC's, one with the U192 ETL for streaming from my NAS, and one for the UPL96.

But most of the time I'm listening to the UPL-Fractal combo,
because it sounds beter then the streaming combo.