IGNORED

Dieter Burmester (February 9, 1946 - August 15, 2015)

A few photos along with some questions and answers extracted from his 2012 interview :

burmester-freunde-von-freunden-8939.jpg

How did you get involved with music?

Since I was fifteen, I have played every weekend on stages around Northern Germany. We played Beat-music or covered artists like the Stones, Santana, or The Beatles. During my education as a radio- and TV technician, as well when I left to Berlin to study Electronics, I kept on performing. To finance my studies, I played in a band with Bruno Frenzel and Bernd Noske, who were the founders of “Birth Control.”

burmester-freunde-von-freunden-9053.jpg

I think this is so interesting that you have the musical intuition contained within an engineer’s mind…

Yes, after family and friends, music is next. It even comes before traveling, cars, or whatever else. It doesn’t matter whether I play music on my own, go to a concert, or listen to it at home.

burmester-freunde-von-freunden-9136.jpg

Do you own an iPod?

No, I have an iPad but don’t listen to MP3s… I rather starve for a while in order to listen to a piece of good quality music.

burmester-freunde-von-freunden-8864.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

He has been the icon for "High End made in Germany".

I had the opportunity meeting him on few occasions, he was driven by an energy he gathered from his work and from being an active musician himself. A respectful, quiet person, very sympathetic, and motivating his staff in the company.

In the early 1980's he was one of the founding members of High End Society eV, the association that most of us know as the organizer of Munich High End show. Burmester's cosmetic product design is maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but the products have always been offering beautiful sound paired with solid and innovative engineering.

Our audiophile community here in Germany will miss him.

A very recent article on him can be found here:

http://www.fidelity-magazin.de/reportagen/bei-dieter-burmester-zu-hause/

(Google Translate might help you ...)

I was never a big fan of his heavy chrome looks, but he certainly knew how to market high-end.

See also DARKO's article:

Dieter Burmester, 1946 - 2015 | DAR

I've linked through, saw and read John H. Darko's piece. Perhaps my lunching mind's still distracted by this morning's work, please tell me what you got out of Darko's tribute that I should particularly get into too ?

What strikes me is :

The penning of a proper obituary falls to those who knew Mr Burmester personally and for many years. That’s not me. I met him only once...

And later :

David Solomon has asked me to publish his thoughts: “Pål and I had... only met him once...

But I admit to no special following of Darko, Solomon and Bråtelund. Sure, I've come across their names...

And what I've read of Tidal, I recall especially Andrew Everard's The Greatest Thing Ever, or Just the Latest Wave ?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

I've linked through' date=' saw and read John H. Darko's piece. Perhaps my lunching mind's still distracted by this morning's work, please tell me what you got out of Darko's tribute that I should particularly get into too ?[/font']

Agree that this wasn't Darko's strongest piece.

• 7 months later...