IGNORED

I think I made a bad purchase ifi nano

When I listen using Pure Music on my main Mac thru a MOTU interface which I use mixing with my guitar, Pure Music is really defined and is so much better than when I go thru my MacBook 2013, ifi nano into a B&K pre amp and B&K power amp. I experimented with: Audirvana Plus, Jriver Media Center, Amarra Symphony and just can't hear any difference and non of them come close to my MOTU interface. I max out volume on iTunes and have the volume on ifi nano almost Max. One person suggested I down load new driver for it but I'm on a Mac and ifi page says no need for mac's.

Maybe a question of expectations?

Right now I am going through my main system: MBP>Audirvana 2.2>Devialet 200>Focal Aries 926.

When in my study, I now do: MBP>Audirvana 2.2>iFi Nano (bought recently)>Focal XS.

Would I expect the two to sound the same? No, also because that would render all the effort that went into my main system obsolete.

Today, Qobuz announced Hi-Res streaming. I am very keen to test this with my new Nano (which I bought a few days ago, so please see this partly as a justification:-)). I am leaving for NYC tomorrow, so I will give this a test.

One person suggested I down load new driver for it but I'm on a Mac and ifi page says no need for mac's.

You're confused: you don't need drivers on a Mac, but you do need to use a Win machine to update the firmware.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I expected all of them to sound much better than just iTunes Alone.

They are not going to. Not unless you are playing high-res music, DSD, or up sampling/transcoding. (shrug)

iTunes probably is the reference sound at Redbook. I doubt you would be able to hear any difference between iTunes, Pure Music, Audirvana+, JRMC, Amarra, or any other player unless you engage some of their processing capabilities. :)

Just my $0.02. But you might want to try something like using JRMC and transcode your rebook and output DSD to the iFi. That can make a *world* of difference in the sound.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

When I listen using Pure Music on my main Mac thru a MOTU interface which I use mixing with my guitar, Pure Music is really defined and is so much better than when I go thru my MacBook 2013, ifi nano into a B&K pre amp and B&K power amp. I experimented with: Audirvana Plus, Jriver Media Center, Amarra Symphony and just can't hear any difference and non of them come close to my MOTU interface. I max out volume on iTunes and have the volume on ifi nano almost Max. One person suggested I down load new driver for it but I'm on a Mac and ifi page says no need for mac's.

The MOTU interface has no battery (for portable use) and costs 250 USD streetprice:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTU-8432-MicroBook-II/dp/B007X0CJBS

Never mind the retail of $300 check your settings, for example max out the volume on iDSD nano is recommended for line out. iTunes, better get the Midi settings right. Mac has built in driver. Welcome to the world of computer audio. Lots to learn and have lots of fun ;)

Could you pleas tell me how to do that? " transcode your rebook and output DSD" I have JRMC. FUNNY When this all started for me months ago I posted my hardware macBook Pro going into B&K Pre amp and B&K power amp and some one advised me to try the audio packages and if nano ( couldn't afford anything much higher) unless I got some more graphic design work. I ask the obvious that give my low end or medium end hardware would I hear a difference and the answer was yes.

Could you pleas tell me how to do that? "transcode your rebook and output DSD" I have JRMC. FUNNY When this all started for me months ago I posted my hardware macBook Pro going into B&K Pre amp and B&K power amp and some one advised me to try the audio packages and if nano ( couldn't afford anything much higher) unless I got some more graphic design work. I ask the obvious that give my low end or medium end hardware would I hear a difference and the answer was yes.

Oh, of course! Man, you should have hollered louder for help! :)

Basically, it is one of the easiest things you can do.

1. Start JRMC.

2. From the TOOLS menu, select OPTIONS.

3. On the Options window, select AUDIO

4. In Audio select DSP & Output Format

5. Then select the format you want.

Done. :)

It step 5 pick either DSD or 2XDSD.

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 3.44.46 PM.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

No reason you can't find happiness with the Nano.

Try to get your firmware updated on a Win Machine and see if the issue persists.

If it does, open a Ticket at iFi and the Technical Team will gladly help you out. They're very cool and extremely knowledgeable and friendly.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Your MOTU (which model is it?) is clearly better than the IFI nano, it's as simple as that. The IFI Micro DSD is better than the nano and the Sony mentioned above but you better try it to see if it beats your MOTU.