IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Hello, I'm new here. I just ordered an Aries mini and don't have it yet so my thoughts here are speculative. I haven't really been keeping track of developments in the audiophile world so catching up has been fun and interesting. The Aries mini price point is where it's great to step into high def audio which I Currently cannot play since I don't have a computer hooked up and having access to Tidal is a bonus. I have a lot of SACD's that I'm going to rip to start with and some DVD audios that already have. I have a fairly modest system with a benchmark DAC1. My plan with the Aries was to get it stock and instead of getting an LPS to invest in a good DSD Dac that can do quad DSD. I don't use my computer or any server so my plan is to just load the hard drive of the Aries mini. WRT DSD Dacs I notice there are some that require drivers ( such as the exasound ) which I assume will not work with the mini. Will any driverless DAC ( such as the mytek brooklyn ) work over usb with the Aries mini to enable DSD playback? I'm assuming DSD Works only over USB -- is that a correct assumption to begin with? Is my plan a good one to get good sound. I'd rather put the 399$ towards the DAC which will eliminate jitter better than the Aries mini's DAC, the processing of which is probably limited by its price point. Any advice/info appreciated.

Welcome to CA!

You remind me of myself a few months ago! I started with a Squeezebox Touch (SBT) as streamer, and Benchmark DAC1 HDR, which was my DAC and headphone amp. My progression was:

1. Buy Aries Mini, to replace SBT and the Benchmark's DAC. Aries DAC is a significant improvement over Benchmark DAC
  2. Buy Aries LPS - huge improvement to Aries DAC sonics
  3. Try Sennheiser HDVA-600 amp. Significant improvement over Benchmark amp stage
  4. Try Ayre Codex DAC/Amp. Significantly better than Aries Mini as a DAC, and HDVA-600 as an amp.
  5. Buy Codex. Currently using Aries Mini as a pure streamer, driving Ayre Codex as DAC/amp.
  6. Planning to upgrade amp to Cavalli Liquid Gold.

Back to step 2 - I have to admit I never considered backing out the LPS once I decided not to use the Aries Mini's internal DAC. So I am not sure how much the LPS helps the Aries as a pure streamer. I am keeping it in, on the theory that a good LPS is always a good thing.

Regarding drivers, I can't say how the Mytek will do, but I suspect it will work just fine. Auralic are pretty responsive, so just email their support to confirm. I know for me, the USB has worked fine with the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, the Codex, and the Moon 230HAD.

If you're considering DACs in the $2k range like the Brooklyn, you have some really tasty options. I ended up going for the Codex, but it does not do quad-DSD, nor does it support MQA. Have fun listening, comparing, and decide for yourself.

I too have a lot of SACDs that have now been ripped to DSF's. The Mini does an excellent job streaming everything from 16/44.1 to 32/384, and DSD-64 to DSD-256. However, for the highest resolutions, I highly recommend going wired. With a good 802.11ac router, and a strong signal, it can stream these rates on wifi, but any deviation from that ideal will yield the occasional dropout. Wired is always rock solid.

Good luck!

I'm thinking about upgrading the rca interconnects that came with the Aries Mini. Nothing outrageous. Maybe something like the Morrow Audio MA2. Will changing these interconnects be an upgrade or waste of cash? Thoughts.

If you're asking if the Aries Mini has sufficient quality to benefit from better-quality interconnects - then yes, definitely!

Beyond that, it becomes a "which cable" discussion, and you can find those ad nauseum on this and other forums!

• 1 month later...
While using Tidal with my AAM Lightning DS is closing out when I try and play Arctic Monkeys. I can play that band with Tidal while using the Naim app on my Uniti 2 and I'm not having an issue with the AAM with any other band. Anyone else have this issue? Can someone else try it? TIA.

I just tried it. Something's definitely wrong. You weren't very specific, but here's what I see. Do a search, type in Arctic Monkeys, select search by artist, then hit enter. The search results automatically display Tidal results, and the artist Arctic Monkeys is the first item in list. Selecting this item immediately quits the app. I tried a bunch of other bands and this only happens with AMs.

Report this to Auralic support. Weird bug!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

• 3 weeks later...
OK, I have this problem with getting connected to Aries Mini in two different cases as follows :

1. First time I switch on (of course it's been already setup), it cannot connect to wireless network. Most of the time I end up re-setup the device.

2. I have been using iPhone 6 to control aries mini. Let's say it's all setup and I started playing a song. After a while I grab the phone and open the app on the iphone6. Around 80% of my attempts to change the track with iphone6 it reads "No Device". 50% of them, it manages to find the device after 3-5 seconds, and other times it cannot find the aries mini.

Please help me with those two problems.

Cheers!

I have the same issues at times. I have my mini connected via wireless. Would hardwiring solve this problem?

Not sure if this will solve your problems, but I have some observations that might help:

• The problem of detection and control of the Mini from the Lightning DS app relies on 2 features that need to be enabled on your home router. Look for these in your router management web UI, and make sure they are on.
    • UPnP mode
    • Multicast mode

[*]Even with these modes enabled, I am noticing the latest firmware 4.0.0 with Lightning DS 3.1 takes a bit longer than I remember in the past to refresh the device info (i.e. the Mini name on the top, cover art for, and position in, the current track, etc). It seems to be a second or two, at most though.

[*]I haven't noticed an issue between wireless and wired for control. However, for actual music playback, I've played between these modes many times, and for me, wired always sounds better.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

<snip>

Can I do the following?

-stream the files from my Mac to the Aries mini over my Wi-Fi network?

Yes. You can do this a couple of ways:

• Share your drive from your Mac using file sharing. Make sure to select SMB. Then on the Aries Mini, you use the built in Lightning Server and point it to this share drive. In this config, the music server (Lightning) is running on your Mini
  • Alternately, you can run a UPnP/DLNA server (I like MinimServer) on your Mac, and once running, it broadcasts its presence on the network. Then, you connect to it from the Mini as a music library. In this case, the music server is not running on your Mini.

In both case, your Lightning DS app on your iOS device builds and maintains a local index.

-Attach the 3TB drive to the USB input on the Aries mini?

• Yes, you can. This is the simplest and easiest case. Here again, your Mini runs Lightning Server on box.
  • Another variant is to actually take the raw SATA drive and put it in the Mini enclosure.

How much do you care about optimizing SQ (sound quality)? If SQ is paramount, then you should explore whether you hear differences. The prevailing consensus is:

• networked sounds better than direct attach
  • wired sounds better than wireless
  • Using a linear power supply (LPS) - either the Auralic, or others like the Sbooster - sounds better than the stock SMPS (switched mode power supply).

I always say to take these prevailing consensus views under advisement, but only pursue what makes sense for you, and verify findings with your own ears. Trust, but verify!

My unit is "wired" directly to my ISP supplied modem / route in one situation and to an Apple Express acting as a wireless booster in another.

What do you mean by this? Can you share a little more detail on how your network is setup? It sounds like your ISP box is a combined modem and wired router. This is quite common. Is that correct? What about wireless? Is your ISP box also your primary WAP (wireless access point)?

You want to make sure that:

• there is exactly one device on your network acting as a router - i.e. serving DHCP, and running NAT. Typically this is your router.
  • If wireless is done by a different device, then make sure it's configured as a WAP, not as a router.
  • the Aries Mini and your Lightning DS control point (your iPhone in this case) are on the same subnet
  • make sure the following flags are enabled in your router:
    • multicast
    • UPNP

I'm running the latest firmware 4.1b1 and DS (3.1), and am having no connectivity issues like yours. Check the above, just to be sure.

Hope it helps.

A question regarding power supplies...

I am using the USB output of the Mini into a B.M.C. Puredac

Would upgrading the Mini's power supply offer significant benefits using it in this configuration?

I would like to know before I spend another 300 Euros...:)

I think the answer is safely YES. I originally bought the Auralic LPS when I was still using the Mini's internal DAC, and the LPS made a huge improvement.

Since I switched to an external DAC, I have not gone back and done the comparison. However, even in the digital domain, the effect of a good LPS is pretty well established. You won't be disappointed.

I bought the Auralic, but there are other choices, ranging from el Cheapo Chinese LPSes on eBay, to Sbooster, to more exotic LPSes. I think you'll get the biggest bang for your buck going from SMPS to an LPS, then incremental improvements between LPSes.

another question...what is the purpose of the DAC output delay option in the LDS software and should I enable it?

Good question. I don't really know. I originally thought it controlled output buffering, but we now know , with the 4.0 update, that is done independently.

I do know it only applies to the internal DAC.

Check with Auralic support and tell us what you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

thanks again @austinpop

Has anyone tried powering the Mini with an iFi iPower?

It certainly would be interesting to hear anyone's experience comparing the iPower 15V against an LPS to power the Aries Mini.

I've read about iPower (in lower voltage configuartions) being compared to LPSes in other contexts on CA, and had unscientifically synthesized what I read into the prevailing view that - when all is said and done, the iPower is still an SMPS (albeit with great attention to noise), and that good LPSes still sound better.

However, I'll be the first to admit I've never tried or heard them myself.

If cost were an issue, I would still lean toward something like this Teradak: TeraDak AURALIC ARIES mini upgrade linear power supply DC16V 1A | eBay

I've got the tiny Teradak U9VA, and their build quality is excellent for the price.

It certainly would be interesting to hear anyone's experience comparing the iPower 15V against an LPS to power the Aries Mini.

I've read about iPower (in lower voltage configuartions) being compared to LPSes in other contexts on CA, and had unscientifically synthesized what I read into the prevailing view that - when all is said and done, the iPower is still an SMPS (albeit with great attention to noise), and that good LPSes still sound better.

However, I'll be the first to admit I've never tried or heard them myself.

If cost were an issue, I would still lean toward something like this Teradak: TeraDak AURALIC ARIES mini upgrade linear power supply DC16V 1A | eBay

I've got the tiny Teradak U9VA, and their build quality is excellent for the price.

I also own the Breeze Audio el Cheapo (in the 9V configuration, but it comes in multiple voltage configs) and recommend it too. There are several sellers on eBay, like this one:

30W(30VA)HiFi Linear power supply PSU DC9V/12V/15V/16V/18V/20V/24V for choose | eBay

I had long shipping delays on my Teradak, so for the Breeze, I paid a few bucks extra for DHL, and got it to the US in 4 days.

• 3 weeks later...
Quick heads-up. I just posted to the "Auralic Aries Mini" thread to describe playback interruption trouble I've encountered with my Mini using a 100Mbps Ethernet connection. My testing so far indicates my Mini is not completely happy working with 100Mbps Ethernet. Changing to gigabit or wireless will make the problem symptoms disappear.

My Aries Femto has been rock solid playing high-res content (up to 352.8K DXD) with 100Mbps Ethernet, so my Mini exhibits different behavior here. The playback interruptions were observed with both 4.0.0 production firmware and 4.1.beta2 firmware running on my Mini.

@austinpop: If you try 100Mbps Ethernet with your Mini I'd be interested to hear whether you encounter the same issue.

Hi @scan80269

No I have not tried this with my Aries Mini, sorry. Now I'm in no hurry to, either!

This may be a long shot, but it also may be somewhat related. It's not the identical issue I experienced and can reproduce 100% of the time, but it could be due to the fact that the Aries Mini is receiving way too much data and its dropping packets at those sample rates.

Here is something to look into, although not completely a 1 for 1 issue - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/need-help-networking-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-issue-28484/#post550519

Chris, very interesting thread. I think your client is being overrun, which points to a poor design of the client's network interface. I'll post more on that thread.

• 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, jruser said:

Thanks guys. I have DSF files, so sounds like that isn't a concern.

I'm trying to decide between buying Roon and a USB DAC (hooked to HTPC) vs getting an Aries Mini and using DLNA. I use both local files on the HTPC and Tidal.

Not sure why you framed your choices that way. You can use Roon regardless of which approach you decide. Roon works with both direct attached DACs AND with renderer/endpoints like the Aries Mini. 

In the remote scenario, the endpoint implements a standard called Roon Ready, and communicates with the Core on your server using Roon's own RAAT protocol.

As of firmware version 5.0, the Aries Mini supports Roon Ready, and can be used as a Roon endpoint.