IGNORED

Yellowtec PUC2

Hi Guys

I've tried finding out but can't get a definitive answer. Is this PUC2 device the same thing as a DAC and if not how is it different exactly?

http://www.yellowtec.com/en/products-lp/puc/tech-specs.html

It states it's a USB audio interface but i've never seen it called a DAC? I've recently purchased a pair of Focal CMS50 speakers that are going to be used connected to my PC. This is going to be the only source and I'm looking for a DAC to pair with them. I don't need any other inputs and I'm not really fussed about having a headphone amp although I guess it wouldn't harm in case I purchased a pair in the future. The PUC2 Lite version looks like it would be exactly what I need but I'm confused as to why it isn't called a DAC if it does the same job?

Can someone explain the difference if there is one please?

I've also been recommended this DAC HP-A4 : 24bit DAC Headphone Amplifier would this be a better option or can someone recommend an alternative?

Thanks.

The PUC2 while it does have a basic analogue output is designed more as a USB to AES/SPDIF convertor - to connect a computer to a DAC rather than acting as a DAC by itself.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

For your needs the Yellowtec probably isn't the best choice, although it could work.

"Puc2" does indeed have a D/A and A/D capability with AES studio style line-level connections. It also has SPDIF digital in and out capability also with AES interface. This one could be used as a USB dac. The focals seem to have AES input, so the Puc2 could work. But you would need some way to control volume. This really isn't an ideal choice.

"Puc2 Lite" - does not have D/A and A/D capability, it is only a digital in and out interface with USB. So, it is essentially the digital only portion of the Puc2. This is the one most talked about in audiophile terms for use as a USB-->Spdif converter (although using it this way only takes advantage of half of its capability.) This one would not work with the Focal monitors

I'm a big fan of the iFi micro iDSD. It would do the trick very nicely for the focals. For a compact desktop system it is very nice and it includes a reasonably good quality analog volume control. It also has a really great headphone section in case you ever did want it.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Thanks for the feedback and I'll certainly have a look into the iFi micro IDSD. Out of interest though, If you've got a USB DAC connected to the PC what exactly does the PUC2 add to the mix if included in the loop? or is it only for when a DAC doesn't have a USB connection?

If you've got a USB DAC connected to the PC what exactly does the PUC2 add to the mix if included in the loop? or is it only for when a DAC doesn't have a USB connection?

Its for where the DAC doesn't have a USB connection (or where the DAC sounds better used by a connection other than USB).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Understood. So if you have a good USB DAC it is pretty much pointless? Like the iFi micro IDSD as recommended above for example?

Also one last question, what would be the best DAC for purely connecting to my Speakers and doing away with the headphone amp? I like the look of the Ifi but I'm really not sure if I need to spend that much as I don't intend on using any headphones. I do like the idea of having a volume control on it though but I suppose I could live with doing this through the software.

I am interested in buying a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite for my NAD M51 DAC. What is the use of the AES input in the Yellowtec PUC2 Lite?

Can I connect a master clock using the AES input of Yellowtec PUC2 Lite?

or

Can I connect the AES output from my Source to AES input of Yellowtec PUC2 Lite (for reclocking) and AES output of Yellowtec PUC2 Lite to NAD M51?

Yes.

The Yellowtec is appreciably better than an Audiophilleo (without PSU) for half the price, if you use it as a usb/AES interface.

You can also connect an external clock to it, like this : PC->usb->Yellowtec PUC lite->AES->clock (Mutec MC3+ in my case)->Dac

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Thank you Yucca06.

What is the sonic difference between:

PC->usb->Yellowtec PUC lite->AES->Dac

and

PC->usb->Yellowtec PUC lite->AES->clock (Mutec MC3+ in my case)->Dac

Does the Mutec MC3+ have lower jitter? How does it sound?

It's a clock. You can use it for sync (pro/studio use with multiple sources) or reclocking (hifi). There's a topic about it there, and a very long one on the german forum aktiveshoeren. Very nice also. You get more precision, natural sound, less harshness...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Understood. So if you have a good USB DAC it is pretty much pointless? Like the iFi micro IDSD as recommended above for example?

Also one last question, what would be the best DAC for purely connecting to my Speakers and doing away with the headphone amp? I like the look of the Ifi but I'm really not sure if I need to spend that much as I don't intend on using any headphones. I do like the idea of having a volume control on it though but I suppose I could live with doing this through the software.

The ifi micro iDSD is definitely worth the money even for just the dac section. It looks like the iFi iDAC2 just went live, it essentially is just the dac section of the micro iDSD, and a more minimal headphone amp. The form factor isn't quite as cute though as the RCAs come out of the front. I also think that the volume control may not work for the RCA output (but I could be wrong.) It also does not include the built in battery.

micro – iDAC2

Thanks Kelly, does the volume control work for the RCA outputs on the Micro iDSD?

I was comparing this to the Teac UD 301 and the NAD D1050 but just realised the volume control on both of those is only for the headphone out too. I would definitely like to be able to control the RCA output volume from whatever I end up with if I'm spending that much money. I've also had this Fostex recommended, but again I'm unsure if the volume control would work. Also not sure how this would compare in quality to the Micro iDSD?

HP-A4 : 24bit DAC Headphone Amplifier

Thanks again Kelly.

Clocks are necessary in complex studio setups with a large number of devices interconnected. It plays the role of the "conductor" in such a setup, it provides the master clock under which all the devices submit to. I think it is an overkill in conventional residential setups. (DBTs with/without clock will consistently prove this)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kelly, does the volume control work for the RCA outputs on the Micro iDSD?

I was comparing this to the Teac UD 301 and the NAD D1050 but just realised the volume control on both of those is only for the headphone out too. I would definitely like to be able to control the RCA output volume from whatever I end up with if I'm spending that much money. I've also had this Fostex recommended, but again I'm unsure if the volume control would work. Also not sure how this would compare in quality to the Micro iDSD?

HP-A4 : 24bit DAC Headphone Amplifier

Thanks again Kelly.

Yes, on the micro iDSD the volume control does work with the RCA outputs. What's even cooler though, you can bypass it with a switch if you wanted to run it into a preamp or some monitors with their own volume control. It also has some pretty neat (but switchable) bass eq and soundstaging EQ (designed for either headphones or nearfield listening, depending on headphone out or the RCAs.) The iDSD is made to be very flexible and can be used as a pure USB dac with line level outs (bypassing the volume control) or a USB dac/headphone amp/preamp.

One thing that is also cool with the iDSD is it's ability to run on internal battery power. The iDSD has a setting where it can run on it's internal battery during playback, but when it goes into standby it will automatically begin charging the battery. The upshot of this is that it does not run on straight USB power like so many other devices.

I don't really know anything about the Fostex other than it looks cool and I would like to hear it! By reputation Foxtex does make good stuff, but I can't speak to having even second hand knowledge of that device.

Yes, on the micro iDSD the volume control does work with the RCA outputs. What's even cooler though, you can bypass it with a switch if you wanted to run it into a preamp or some monitors with their own volume control. It also has some pretty neat (but switchable) bass eq and soundstaging EQ (designed for either headphones or nearfield listening, depending on headphone out or the RCAs.) The iDSD is made to be very flexible and can be used as a pure USB dac with line level outs (bypassing the volume control) or a USB dac/headphone amp/preamp.

One thing that is also cool with the iDSD is it's ability to run on internal battery power. The iDSD has a setting where it can run on it's internal battery during playback, but when it goes into standby it will automatically begin charging the battery. The upshot of this is that it does not run on straight USB power like so many other devices.

I don't really know anything about the Fostex other than it looks cool and I would like to hear it! By reputation Foxtex does make good stuff, but I can't speak to having even second hand knowledge of that device.

I was looking at the other products iFi do and I noticed the IUSB Power (I also see you own one). If i understand this correctly it basically takes any possible interference away from using the onboard USB power of the PC. I also noticed the IDSD has the battery and I assumed this works exactly the same way only you have to keep fiddling with it to enable it?

The products they have certainly do look very good for the money. I did have one other question though regarding this iDSD compared to the iDAC or IDAC2. My entire library is in FLAC format and to be honest I'd never even heard of DSD up until a week or so ago. I'm not sure if I'll ever use DSD so is there still a benefit to getting the IDSD over one of the other products?

As you've probably guessed I'm by no means an audiophile and all these terms and all the different tech can get really confusing for a newbie! I really appreciate your help though and I've read through some of your other threads so I'm aware you know your stuff! I also checked out your setup and those Gallo speakers look amazing!

Thanks again. : )

• 9 months later...