IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

@russellbobby

How do you transfer music files to the the N100? Or if you are using a NAS to hold your music files, is WiFi really a good solution? Just two things to consider for the future.

You stated that the router was moved to another room, did they remove the ethernet cable from the room your Aurender is located? If not, I would suggest buying a router and connect your Aurender to it. It is easy enough to do and the Aurender is pretty good making connections to your server. Also you now have the flexibility to add other devices to your internet.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

56 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Make sure you're using the username and password set in the Aurender iOS app.

If this doesn't work contact Aurender they MIGHT have to connect to your set remotely. 

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

A few errors in this review but overall positive: https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/aurender-a10-network-music-server/ 

I'll leave it to an A10 owner to correct him. :S

8 minutes ago, Fsonicsmith said:

Thanks. So I DID look in my Aurender App on my iPad under settings and I don't find any reference to my password anywhere. Is there some trick to finding my old username and password when looking under settings in the Aurender app on the iPad? I also DID ask for Aurender to go into my new MBP by remote and look around. They sent me the website info to use, my MBP shot out a password and ID for them to use and that was five hours ago with no response. What time is it in Korea? Really a shame Aurender does not a US based help-center or at least one that caters to US time. 

My suspicion at this point in time is that my MBP can't connect to my Aurender because of some corruption of the file where I previously sent and stored my music that was burned from my CD drive using the freeware program XLD-on my old, "deceased" MBP. On my new MBP the same file shows up due to the Apple store using iCloud to retrieve certain settings from my old MBP to my new one but the new MBP won't accept XLD even if I try to download it because it was not created by an "approved developer"-the latest High Sierra OS blocks such programs from being installed. I was forced to download a different app from the App Store that can burn CDs and convert them to FLAC files. I also have not yet downloaded AMM to my new MBP and perhaps that will help solve the problem. 

Again, if anyone can stoop low (lower than my snide 24 year old know-it-all) and guide me to how to retrieve my user name and password from the Aurender app on my iPad, I would appreciate it. 

To someone else who posted recently, I know the Command K and "connect to server" routine all too well and it has been of no use. 

Within the Conductor app:

1. Go to settings
  2. Select "Aurender File Share"
  3. You will see the user name and password on the right
  4. Read the instruction below the password

That should work.

11 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

I can see it on the network.

I purchased this second hand from an authorized audio shop and they had music already loaded so I can listen to that music by using the front panel to play the playlists. The Conductor App will not recognize the Aurender.

Update. I finally got it to work. The problem was my iPad was connected to a neighbours WiFi and not my own! My neighbour should really have better security and I better be careful which network I hook into for my own protection.

My next problem is I don't know the password to add music to the network drive but that is something I will ask the shop I bought it from.

1. Go to settings
  2. Select "Aurender File Share"
  3. You will see the user name and password on the right
  4. Read the instruction below the password

That should work.

THE USER NAME IS GENERALLY aurender AND FOR SOME REASON Aurender shows the password in clear text. You can change and save it.

22 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

I think you are right. On Tuesday I will have to take it back. Thanks for your insight. Small movie of what happens.

Screen.mp4

Take your iPad with you. It just occurred to me to ask if the software is completely updated. Probably not your problem but worth a check.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2018 at 3:13 PM, Ponzi said:

I just put this question to the larger group, but meant it for the Aurender thread.  I have the N10.  I cannot get my MAC to connect to the server.  I am using the right IP address.  My son did a hard shutdown several months ago, saying there was a virus on my computer.  So now I cannot access the music 1 and 2 files.  Nor the server.  Do I need to delete the conductor app and start over, or what?  The service folks at aurender have stopped responding to my emails.  They have been very helpful in the past.  I am assuming folks are ill or an vacation or something.  Anyway, if you have a suggestion, I would appreciate it.  Thank you.  

I had a similar problem. The Aurender folks accessed my N10 remotely and fixed it. The problem occured after a power loss. I could see it on the internet but couldn't establish a remote connection.

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

Point well taken! If one happens to have a DAC with SPDIF input, an N10 does come handy. Yet, I'd like to see an N100H with more elaborate circuitry, but only USB output. I'd jump to it immediately, as the price difference to the N10 is just too big (at least for me).

I think an N100H with more elaborate circuitry would probably be equivalent in sound and price to the N10 :) . When you look at the designs of both units, it seems that they give the best sound at their respective price points. Perhaps the folks at Aurender discovered that making a more elaborate N100 would necessitate additional changes that boost the cost of the final product too much.

5 hours ago, biosailor said:

Oh gosh, you people with your raving N10 reviews! You do make me re-consider of coughing up the money for an N10 x-D! I am getting weaker the minute!

:D That's the thing about this "hobby". There is always something "better" that you want. Every once in awhile I wonder how much better the W20 is. But unless I come into $$$$s I am very content with my system. Well, perhaps a few tweaks around the edges...

8 hours ago, biosailor said:

By the way, does anybody why Aurender has no app for the iPhone and a Mac computer? Just wondering.

I have no idea about the Mac but I was told that the iPhone screen was too small. I suppose they could have redone the app so that it would sort of work in an iPhone screen but they decided not to do it.  

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, agladstone said:

@DavidW if you can run / Fisch an Ethernet cable from main router down to basement and then connect that to a Netgear gs105 Switch in listening room / basement , you would not need an additional modem and router. 

It is really not that difficult to do yourself with some patience and some basic tools (long fiberglass Fisching rods and a Fisching snake and 25’ to 50’ if ethernet cable would be more than sufficient). If not up to the challenge, you could easily hire an electrician or home theater installer to do it for you. (I did this myself with no prior experience and some YouTube videos to my entire house! I now have in wall hardwired Ethernet jacks in every room in my home and multiple in my living room, home office, and behind my stereo rack). 

AC wire line adapter will also work as suggested, but in my opinion it’s nowhere near as good as just running a cat 6a or cat 7 cable through the walls or ceiling , etc 

THIS.

Re: Latest Upgrade

I guess it is time to learn about MQA. Whoever decides to adopt MQA, please know that a full report will be appreciated. :)

Is MQA only for the Redbook CD format (44/16)? I have a lot of DSF and HiRez files.

Gave MQA a quick listen. It seemed to rearrange the mix somewhat. A few of the instruments that were subdued were more upfront. But I noticed some distortion on a few passages. The distortion may have been there before but not as noticeable. SQ was about the same but I need more time before I can be sure. 

I also played a DSF file and noticed that when the MQA was switched off during while the DSF file was playing the playback was terminated. Replay of the DSF file with the MQA switch off was good. The sound appeared to be the same either way but I wasn't listening carefully.

I have been listening to the MQA update (I don't have a MQA DAC) and find that is changes the sound of music, placement of instruments and general sound stage in such a manner that isn't better but (IMHO) worse. Music is generally more forward and louder but it doesn't sound better and there seems to be a bit more distortion in the rendering of cymbals and biting brass. 

I'll continue to test the MQA update but it seems to me not to be a audiophile tool but one that is aimed to a market similar to that of the Bose Lifestyle products.

5 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Very strange result indeed. All the first unfold is doing is to give you an increased resolution which you would otherwise not get from the same files. It shouldn't change the soundstage or volume at all.

So you don’t hear any changes in the sound with MQA enabled?

5 hours ago, Foxman50 said:

rwwjr44

have you noticed any bad effects on standard flac files from HDD/NAS.

ive yet to do the firmware update and really have no use of MQA at this time. I’m very concerned that this update may have an ill effect on my NAS stored files.

i has some issues a couple of pages back but may have got the wrong end of the stick. 

By all means anyone comment.

I only use the internal HDD drive not a NAS. I assume that MQA doesn’t physically change any files. Was that your question? 

I also assume that whatever changes I hear on files stored on the N10 will be the same if the same file were stored on a NAS.

7 hours ago, Foxman50 said:

Im confused what this update does. Does it change the sound of the standard flac files stored on the internal drive. By that i mean does the aurender now add some form of MQA filtering to all files played, or will it only do something to MQA encoded files.

This update SHOULD NOT change the FLAC files stored anywhere. What is does affect is the stream of data as it it being played. Which means that the "sound" of the stream will differ in some way. IIRC ALL 16/44 files played through the MQA filter will be affected. Of course MQA encoded files will "benefit" most if you have a complete MQA decoding system (Aurender plus a MQA decoding DAC).

I hope this helps. 

19 minutes ago, Vincent1234 said:

Incorrect. Why should they be played through an MQA filter on your DAC when they are non-MQA files..? You and your DAC will decide this; not your Aurender! Again, save for the A10 which has its built-in DAC. Also that DAC will only use MQA filtering for MQA files. Not for non-MQA ones..!

Interesting. I hear a difference playing virtually any non-MQA encoded 16/44 FLAC file (streamed from my N10) when the MQA switch is engaged. I will continue to try this.

11 hours ago, isquirrel said:

Okay have tested both high and low res Bit Perfect test tracks they all come up Bit Perfect Pass makes NO difference whether the MQA unfold switch is on or off.

So that means that no normal low or high res files are being affected in any way by the MQA unfold switch.

The only files which are affected and are upsampled are MQA files only.

There you have it.

So they sound the same whether the MQA unfold switch is on or off?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 3:31 PM, biosailor said:

Something else, doesn't involve upgrading :D: just downloaded The Modern Jazz Quratet's 'Pyramid' (super recording, super album, BTW) and transferred it onto my N100H as a wav file. The N100H displays it as an album, but it lists it as 'Unknown'. Tried re-transferring it with just 'Modern Jazz Quartet', but doesn't help, still displayed as 'Unknown'. Would anyone know the reason?

TMJQ_P.jpg

I think something is wrong with the metadata created when you ripped it (I am assuming that it was ripped). I have the same album and the Conductor lists it correctly. I don't know how much you know about editing metadata and metadata software but that is what you need to do. If you haven't done this before, I suggest using Google and taking some time to get it correct.

• 2 weeks later...

To get the best sound from FLAC be sure to set your ripper to "Uncompressed" encoding. The files are bigger and IMHO sound better. Most rippers default to "level 5" (0-8 and uncompressed).

22 hours ago, mjb said:

Well, this is a worrying development - I’ve religiously ripped everything to FLAC, now I learn WAV sounds better. And with no scientific basis.  Will simply transcoding magically lift my experience?