IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I updated the aurender, I'll have to update the app now too. 

I did not find any information about the Aurender N100c on their website, I suppose it's a new model? Too bad they don't come out with an N100I2S :) 

try to delete your current app and then resinstall a new one from the App Store, that can help with a lot of difficulties, it's always helped smooth things out that were buggy for me in the past. 

Same here ! (No album art for Tidal content added to my Library)! 

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if it even makes any sense to add Tidal Content to my library anyhow? 

You can favorite the album in Tidal and when you select Tidal in the app, it appears under favorites and also you can save any Tidal album as a playlist in the conductor app anyhow. 

Also, you can save any playlist in the conductor app that has a mix of both your own stores music and tidal songs all combined, so what's the advantage to saving Tidal Albums in your music library anyhow (frankly it seems useless and it's also confusing to me when I have a cd rip and the tidal MQA version of the same album both saved into my music library as an example) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 3:30 PM, bpw said:

Correct. It is an N100H with an SPDIF coax output in addition to the USB audio out. It is not on their website yet because it isn't shipping yet. The N100 page will be updated when they start shipping in a few weeks.

I wonder why if going through all that "trouble" to add a Coax Spdif, why not also add an AES/UB XLR or even better yet an I2S HDMI, although I suppose at that point it starts becoming a competitor to the N10?? 

Album Art needs to be either .jpg OR .png , no other format works with Aurrender/ conductor. 

Also it only shows 2 album art photos added to the meta data and always (in my experience) add the front and back album art to the actual meta data and always label first one as front and second one as back specifically. 

Also alwya add a front.jpg and back.jpg (same as the one in meta data) to the albums folder. 

Try to keep Album art size between 1000x1000 to 1400 x1400 If possible. 

You can add all additional album art and scans into a folder within the album folder called Album Art for any additional photos and media. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Turning off USB power is not fully removed. It's still available in the old beta Android app! I use it too on my W20 and it works fine; no need to ask remote support! You only need an Android phone and connect it to your network. Just don't tell Aurender..! ?

They monitor this thread, so now the know!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I upgraded to iOS 11 and I’ve been experiencing some issues. Little quirky bug type issues and also a lot of freeze ups and the need to exit out and restart. 

Im not sure about others here, but I’ve continually also noticed big issues with the Wikipedia links to album and artist info (typically only works about 20% of the time, otherwise it just pulls up a completely blank white screen). 

Another issue I’ve noticed since inception that bugs me (pun intended), is that any DSD album I have that is either in .DFF format (vs. .DSF), Any DXD Album, or any DSD album that is DSD 128 does not show up within the Conductor app whatsoever in “normal mode”. 

I’ve discovered a work around, which is to use the Folder view (they do show up there), and then to replace queue with it and then save the album as a playlist, but it’s still really annoying. 

I have a large music collection and when I pull up an artist for example and the DSD 128 and/ or DFF albums for that artist are missing, I typically forget that I have a few of these for that artist that I need to go finder under folder view. 

I’ll send tech support this information now to let them know about these issues, I’ve not yet notified them about these things. 

Question:

Is anyone here using a NAS to stream music to the Aurender for playback? 

I have an N100H and I recently purchased a Synology 916+ NAS. 

My music collection is pretty large (around 25TB’s and growing), so I can only fit a portion of it on the Aurender’s internal HD. 

1. What is the best method to play music on the NAS via the Aurender? 

2. What is the sound quality like vs. music stored locally on internal HDD?

3. If I add the NAS to Aurender/ Conductor App, will this create duplicates for the music I have stored in the internal HDD that is also on the NAS?  The Synology has my entire music collection, so that includes the music I have in the Aurender’s internal HDD. 

4. Any tips and tweaks that could improve NAS to Aurender playback SQ (i:e. Powering NAS via an LPSU and or using Ethernet LAN Isolators on NAS connection from Router, etc.)? 

Thanks !  

17 minutes ago, Foxman50 said:

I only have "dsf" DSD files and all appear normally. I do have one "dff" but it does not sit within my music folder. One thing I've read about is tagine making an issue. Try retagging a file and remove all data except title. See if that helps.

I have a ton of DSF albums in DSD 64 and all appear fine. 

Its only the DSD 128, DXD, and .DFF albums that don’t appear. (All tagged the same methodology). 

I will say that in regards to Wikipedia issue, I’ve noticed that it definitely does not work with any album that I have custom tagging for the album title,so that may be the issue? 

I have a ton of albums where I have a CD rip, an HDTracks 24-192, a JAPAN SHM-SACD rip (DSD), a Vinyl to 24-96 rip, and a USA MFSL SACD Rip, etc.

So I usually notate the version of the album in parentheses in both the folder and the meta tagging. 

Example:

“The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - (2010 Japan SHM-SACD) - [DSD] “

10 minutes ago, Foxman50 said:

25TH that's some music collection. I run solely from NAS.

1.you need the AMM software which you can download from Aurender website. This scans your NAS and populates Aurender database. Job done.

2. I cannot hear any difference as it's all played from internal SSD.

3.yes it will create duplicates so you'll need to delete from Aurender HDD.

4.not tried LPS. Ethernet cables have have not made any difference as far as I can hear.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info! 

I did fear the duplicates! Such a pain! 

I don’t want to delete anything from the internal HDD, I definitely suspect that the SQ must be better playin from onboard HDD vs NAS since it’s eliminating a bunch of external factors the NAS introduces to the playback chain. 

I do however want to be able to play music that I can’t fit on the internal HDD without having to constantly swap albums in and out of the internal HDD. 

I know a lot of the Sonore uRendu users have discovered an increase in sound quality using an LPSU and also using Ethernet LAN Isolators or fiber links and also using Audioquest type higher end Ethernet cables. I suspect similar tweaks would help SQ with Aurender too, but obviously have not tried yet :$ 

2 hours ago, dminches said:

I own both an N10 and w20. I bought both of them used which is why it was affordable. I have never played them in the same room. I should do that to compare the sound. I also have a microRendu which I should add to the comparison 

Anyone interested in participating in the shootout?  I am in South NJ. 

Actually I would really be interested in participating in this “Shoot-Out”!! I have an N100H and I just recently purchased a Synology NAS and have been even contemplating if a uRendu may be a better option vs. the Aurender to play music from my NAS. I have the Aurenders HDD full at this point and would leave that as is and potentially use the uRendu for NAS playback so I would not have to worry about having a duplicated music library within the Conductor App. 

I’m located just on the other side of the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philadelphia (Old City). 

Lets PM each other and discuss the possibility of a shoot-out :) 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, jon2020 said:

This is the clearest statement to date.  Many thanks!

I think it’s more of an Apple issue than Aurender, overall the iOS11 updates for the iPads have been very buggy all around, not only with Conducter. 

The iOS 11.x for the iPhone seems more stable than on the iPad. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 1:57 PM, Platek said:

There were posts awhile back on improving Tidal streaming by upgrading ethernet cable and adding ethernet isolation.  Could someone point me to the posts?  

Probably several different threads about several different tweaks! 

one new thing is to place the Ethernet cable

for Tidal into its own Netgear GS105 (V4 or V5) and have the “in” going to port 5 and the out at port 1 AND then to ground the SMPS 12V power supply to the same AC outlet or strip (this apparently fixes leakage current from getting in via the Ethernet cable to your system. 

Search for SMPS Grounding. 

Another is to galvanicly isolate your Ethernet with either a passive Medical Ethernet isolator or with a cat 6 to optical to cat 6 Extender. Search for “a novel way to massively increase sound”. 

For ethernet cable , either the higher end Audioquest, Nordest, or the copy of these made by Ghent audio seem to be popular choices. 

So far I have the Ghent Audio Ethernet cable and the Basske Medical Gigabit LAN Isolater and I just installed the Netgear GS105 (V4) now I need to try the grounding “hack” for the SMPS DC cable , which I plan to make and try today. 

I think so far what I’ve implemented seems to help make improvements for Tidal and also for even locally Autrender stored playback. 

I also noticed that when I removed the Ethernet cables I had going into my TV and Pre/Pro and OPPO Blu-Ray player and when I temporarily disconnect my Amazon Fire TV from my system too, that I got a big improvement in sound quality. 

I suppose that this means there is AC / DC leakage current and ground issues running through the Ethernet cables in my system? 

Give these tweaks a try!! None of them

are that expensive (the Audiophile grade Ethernet cable being the most $) and none of them will hurt anything!! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2017 at 3:30 PM, bpw said:

Correct. It is an N100H with an SPDIF coax output in addition to the USB audio out. It is not on their website yet because it isn't shipping yet. The N100 page will be updated when they start shipping in a few weeks.

Have you had a chance to audition the N100C yet? Also any thoughts on the C vs the H? 

Is there any actual benefit to using coax vs USB or is it really just for folks who already have a DAC they like that doesn’t have a USB connection? I have the N100H now and I’m very happy with it, but I’m helping my friend select an Aurender now and he seems to lean towards coax vs. usb but not for any specific DAC related reason, he just bought a Mytek Brooklyn DAC last week, so he has USB in available to his DAC. 

On 12/20/2017 at 2:30 PM, Platek said:

Maybe so but I can't see how it could get any better since the SQ from Tidal is indistinguishable from tracks on the N10  SSD.

I use the Baaske medical isolators myself and I agree I have seen a nice bump up in sound quality since I installed them. 

I have one going from cable modem to Router / switch, one going from switch to Aurender and a third going from switch to my Synology NAS. 

At this point I’m using all Bluejeans Cable Cat 6a, but I will soon order one of the Higher end Cat cables from Ghent to go from switch to Aurender (maybe I’ll get 2-3 of them

and use them so that from cable Modem 

To Aurender the entire “chain”

isbthe ghent Ethernet ? )

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eganz said:

I would start by trying to optimize the N100H  which  you already own.  This has been discussed extensively earlier in the thread.

E

you didn’t really say if you wanted to spend a lot of money… 

What optimization’s are you referring to? (I’m being lazy and don’t feel like paving through the entire thread, lol)? 

I would love to squeeze any extra percentage I can out of my N100H’s performance!

I’m thinking about trying an Audiophile fuse replacement in it like the Synergistic Research Blue or the Tuning Fuses? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:59 AM, russellbobby said:

How about a quick synopsis for the less informed.

PRESS RELEASE

AURENDER JOINS RAVENNA COMMUNITY
Reference Music Servers can be network connected to Merging Technologies+NADAC

http://www.merging.com/…/…/NADAC_Marketing_Pack-May_2017.zip
http://www.merging.com/uploads/press-releases/NDHT_PR.zip

Hamburg, January 2018: Merging Technologies, manufacturer of MERGING+NADAC, MERGING+PLAYER and MERGING+POWER is delighted to announce that it will be showing an Aurender X100 Music Server directly connected to a RAVENNA AoIP network and using a MERGING+NADAC as the DAC. This demonstration will be hosted in the joint Merging Technologies/Terrason room 255 at the Norddeutscher Hi Fi Tage in Hamburg. This important event for Northern Germany takes place February 3 – 4 2018 at the Holiday Inn Hamburg Elbbrücken.

This extremely significant move sees Aurender be the first to take advantage of the benefits that a RAVENNA network can bring to the home. Its flagship devices can now be part of a multi-room or multi-zone system without any of the traditional cable length limitations of USB connectivity. The network supports all file types and formats up to DSD256, although Aurender products do not yet support native DSD playback. The X100 features up to 12TB (depending on model) of internal storage with a 120GB solid-state drive; packing quite a punch for such a neat unit. NAS storage can also be included as part of the installation and the library can be conveniently controlled from a tablet running the Aurender Conductor App.

This innovation will be commercially available within Q1 2018 and will be featured on the following Aurender products: A10, N10, N100 (N100C, N100H), X100L (X100S) and W20. “The launch of MERGING+NADAC in 2015 demonstrated the value of using RAVENNA in a home environment.”; remarked Merging’s Product Manager, Dominique Brulhart. “We are delighted to see Aurender becoming the first of many manufacturers that will be switching from USB to AoIP in the future, not only server/players but also DACs, thus offering a choice of high-end components. The combination with our products is an ideal solution for existing and future Aurender purchasers.”

Room 255 will provide stunning audio quality by additionally featuring products from Merging Technologies, Vivid Audio and Mola Mola. Merging will also demonstrate the MERGING+PLAYER and the new MERGING+POWER and the choice of music will be managed by Bert van der Wolf from local Merging distributor, Edison Productions. The result from this combination of superlative audio components and stunning music was the undoubted star of the recent XFi event in the Netherlands and Bert has previously amazed audiences at High End Munich and the Deutsche HIFI Tage in Darmstadt in 2017.

-ends-

Merging Technologies SA is a Swiss manufacturer with over 25 years of experience in developing groundbreaking, professional Audio and Video products for a wide range of entertainment and media industries. With a dedicated user base in the elite end of the music, film, television, mastering and performances industries, Merging is committed to developing product ranges with unrivalled quality and flexibility, no matter what the application. Merging builds tools for people who want more from their systems, have an inherent need to push boundaries, and believe that quality always comes first.

RAVENNA is a solution for real-time distribution of audio and other media content in IP-based network environments. Utilizing standardized network protocols and technologies, RAVENNA can operate on existing network infrastructures. RAVENNA is designed to meet the strict requirements of the professional audio market featuring low latency, full signal transparency and high reliability and is fully AES67 compatible. With a capacity of nearly 8 x MADI streams over a single Gigabit Ethernet link, it is also the first and only Layer-3 based IP audio protocol with full support for high-channel count DXD and DSD signals.

While primarily targeting the professional broadcast market, RAVENNA is also suitable for deployment in other professional audio market segments like live sound, install market and recording. Possible fields of application include (but are not limited to) in-house signal distribution in broadcasting houses, theatres, concert halls and other fixed installations, flexible setups at venues and live events, OB van support, inter-facility links across WAN connections and in production & recording applications. These capabilities make RAVENNA highly suitable for domestic audiophile and home cinema applications. http://ravenna.alcnetworx.com

Aurender is a premier supplier of music server/players. We are a team of passionate individuals whose goal is to enrich everyone's lives through innovative products. We build high-quality audio products for both audiophiles and music lovers who want to enjoy operational convenience, simplicity and excellent sound quality. Our products are developed and manufactured in Korea. Product design and Marketing is done in California, USA. www.aurender.com

If this becomes available in a future firmware update , would you need to have a ravenna compatible DAC? 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using Roon Server combined with Roon Remote on iPad with the Aurender? 

Surprisingly (to me at least) I was trying to set up a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra using roon server on a Mac with roon remote on an iPad last night. 

I tried for hours but could not get it to work, however I had added my Aurender using the info for NAS Share so I could use it as the NAS / music database and although I could not get the SOtM ultra to work (or even show up as a zone / output device) it had my Aurender listed. 

So I selected the Aurender as zone out of curiosity and I was able to use Roon via the Autender with no issues ??  

I had always assumed that you could not use Roon with Aurender ?? 

Anyone with any more knowledge than me on this have any input?? 

FYI, this was just straight Roon, no HQPLAYER, I never got that far, and when I did an A/B between Aurender internal HD to USB out vs. Roon, the Aurender w/ conductor / USB sounded MUCH better, but as I understand it, you need HQPLAYER and DSD upsampling with Roon for it to sound it’s best ? 

@DavidW if you can run / Fisch an Ethernet cable from main router down to basement and then connect that to a Netgear gs105 Switch in listening room / basement , you would not need an additional modem and router. 

It is really not that difficult to do yourself with some patience and some basic tools (long fiberglass Fisching rods and a Fisching snake and 25’ to 50’ if ethernet cable would be more than sufficient). If not up to the challenge, you could easily hire an electrician or home theater installer to do it for you. (I did this myself with no prior experience and some YouTube videos to my entire house! I now have in wall hardwired Ethernet jacks in every room in my home and multiple in my living room, home office, and behind my stereo rack). 

AC wire line adapter will also work as suggested, but in my opinion it’s nowhere near as good as just running a cat 6a or cat 7 cable through the walls or ceiling , etc