IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Has anyone face any problems with the new 3.2.0 AMM on a Mac 10.9.5 ? I have just updated the AMM today and boy, did i regret it!!

1. Can't detect my NAS (I have made sure the NAS is up and is accessible and made sure it was a SMB and not AFP connection- I am a IT geek so I KNOW it's all good with my NAS)

Two friends ran into this same issue I think. One got assistance from Aurender.

Problem was that there was a delay in AMM mounting the SMB share. Suggestion was to mount it using the mount_smbfs command in Terminal.

I wonder if his was a case of slow name resolution. Maybe mounting the NAS in AMM using the IP address instead of the name might help.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...

Think I'm in the market for an Aurender....suspect that it is superior in sonics and more stable in use.

Two friends with really good systems and ears both moved from the Aries to the N100H. They both said it was a pretty significant upgrade. I think you will be delighted with one. (One of them actually purchased his N100H from a dealer in Vancouver. He got a great deal with great service. Send a PM if you want more details.)

I was planning to follow on their footsteps, but decided to hold off pending a chance to hear the yet to be released Sonore microRendu. I intend to use this a RoonReady endpoint.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 weeks later...
In the end I think the Aurender Conductor app would be worse off - to some degree those with Aurender are a little spoiled since the interface is so good.

Conductor wouldn't have to change at all. Roon's control app would be used instead.

• 8 months later...
A fantastic server that works flawlessly, a very capable dac which is right up there with some of the best in comparative price range (tried Mirus, Hugo TT, Moon and Naim), to my ears at least - sold my Hugo TT - and the pre does the job.

Which music server had you been using with the Hugo TT? Since the A10 is essentially a fantastic server + DAC in one box, the server should be factored in when considering the relative performance of those other DACs.

I just purchased a Hugo TT last month. My server is the microRendu in Roon Ready mode. Since I'm hooked on Roon, the A10 wouldn't have been an option for me. But I'm still nonetheless curious about the relative performance of other DACs in its price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

• 2 months later...

Not sure if the DSD problem was on the Aurender side or Chord's. This was reported to Eric at Aurender who tried to correct things without success. My feeling at the time through the e-mail conversation we had - although he never stated it in clear terms - is that he did encounter this problem before with Chord's dacs. That was about 1 1/2 year ago so maybe before Jesse's arrival.

I think it's on Chord's side. I've experience occasional dropouts with DSD with both a Mojo and Hugo TT while using the microRendu as the source.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, agladstone said:

My bet, is that it's the cost involved to become Roon certified / license, etc. more so than anything else, but still very disappointing since everyone seems to rave about Roon. 

That Aurender supports internal storage may make their ability to support Roon more difficult.  To just be a Roon Ready endpoint would not be enough as Roon Server would still need to be run somewhere - and this would need to access the music stored internally on an Aurender.  Roon Server would thus have to run on the Aurender server - a more difficult thing to pull off as it might necessitate changes to the way Aurender does things internally to support Conductor.  

This is just pure speculation on my part.

1 minute ago, russellbobby said:

The addition of the Stillpoints took it to another level. 

What kind of wood are you using underneath?  I've had great success with these boards under my Stillpoints:  http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

6 hours ago, agladstone said:

Interesting, do stillpoints really make a significant improvement in sound quality?

I've just finished upgrading all my Power Cables in entire system to Shunyata (Alpha Digital on the Aurender, Viper Zitron on all sources and Martin Logan Speakers, Venom HC's on all Amplifiers and subwoofers, Venom Defenders into all dedicated 20AMP lines), and even though I'm still burning them in, the sound improvement is enormous!! 

Now I may have to try still points next (thanks a lot for burning another hole in my pocket! , haha ) 

I switched from Nordost Brahma to Shunyata Alpha HC cords last year.  Big upgrade but still just a fraction of the improvement I got from a Shunyata Denali.  One more thing to burn a hole in that pocket.

Stillpoints delivered a tremendous improvement under my speakers.  The improvement wasn't as large under my electronics, but once you hear the improvement it's hard to go back.  It's like the difference between using image stabilization or a tripod when taking a photo of something far off.  

5 minutes ago, agladstone said:

RE: Stillpoints 

Maybe I should look into them for my front speakers (I use them for 2 channel and also part of a 7.2 channel system) - Martin Logan Summit X 

You can borrow Stillpoints from The Cable Company.  I suspect you will like what you hear from them under your speakers.  Nice speakers by the way.

8 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I highly recommend auditioning at least 5 different USB cables from The Cable Company (they have a Cable lending library). 

I was amazed how each cable I tried made my system sound COMPLETELY different!!!

If you take my advice, try a couple less expensive and a couple really expensive ones too as an experiment , I ended up preferring one that was in the middle (liked it much better than a $1,000 one which surprised me). 

Great advice!

I'd recommend including the Audience Au24 SE amongst those you try.  This has stood up to tough competition and is an excellent value especially if purchased as a demo from The Cable Company.

I found the Au24 easily superior to the LH Labs Lightspeed 10G and Nordost Heimdall.  I thought the Au24 slightly edged out a win over the latest Wireworld Platinum Starlight.  I preferred it to the Nordost Tyr also - especially in light of the price difference (demo Au24 vs Tyr at full retail).  Different systems and different tastes might result in preferring a different cable.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, TubeLover said:

You certainly aren't alone. According to a friend in the business, Apple literally has warehouses of iPad mini's stocked to the ceilings. Buyers are heavily in favor of the larger model, and an even bigger percentage of return buyers who bought mini's move to the regular size. 

I've seen several articles in the Apple press where it was suggested that it's actually the Plus size iPhones that killed the iPad Mini.  Buyers looking for something smaller than a full-size iPad found that the Plus sized iPhone served their needs well enough. The Mini's 7.9" screen filled the gap nicely back when the only choices were a 9.5" screen on an iPad and 3.5" or 4" screen on the iPhone.  There's less of a gap now that a 5.5" screen is available on an iPhone.