IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hey everyone, new A10 owner here with a few questions. 

My library resides on a Synology server and but I have copied only a part of it to the A10 HDD due to size constraints. 

One annoying issue is that an album stored both on the A10 and the NAS show twice on the app when my NAS is turned on. Am I doing something wrong? 

Second point. I choose a gender on the app (say classical) and I am getting a list of all albums with their individual tracks. Not very easy to navigate. 

Is there a way to get some kind of hierarchy, such as Gender / Composer /Album? 

Third point is the filter selection in the app. It is grayed for all content, implying that all comment is treated as MQA, while this is clearly not the case with my entire library. Is that correct? 

Thanx for any pointers here! 

11 hours ago, blugosi said:

Hey everyone, new A10 owner here with a few questions. 

My library resides on a Synology server and but I have copied only a part of it to the A10 HDD due to size constraints. 

One annoying issue is that an album stored both on the A10 and the NAS show twice on the app when my NAS is turned on. Am I doing something wrong? 

Second point. I choose a gender on the app (say classical) and I am getting a list of all albums with their individual tracks. Not very easy to navigate. 

Is there a way to get some kind of hierarchy, such as Gender / Composer /Album? 

Third point is the filter selection in the app. It is grayed for all content, implying that all comment is treated as MQA, while this is clearly not the case with my entire library. Is that correct? 

Thanx for any pointers here! 

OK, things start getting better....

After running the AMM once again, duplicates are not shown anymore. The local album is shown , and only when an album has not been copied to the local HDD , only then the album on the NAS is shown.

On my second point, it seems that the app can display the albums, but it sort them by album year... Not very helpful unless someone can remember when each album was recorded.

The third point on the MQA is still puzzling me...

19 hours ago, blugosi said:

OK, things start getting better....

After running the AMM once again, duplicates are not shown anymore. The local album is shown , and only when an album has not been copied to the local HDD , only then the album on the NAS is shown.

Bummer... Albums on the local HDD and on the NAS as well show twice in the app.

For a while it seemed to work fine, now it’s back to double vision.

Any ideas on how to solve this? 

Quick question on the Tidal implementation on Conductor. I can’t seem to find the “Track Radio”  feature. 

Is it hidden somewhere , or has Aurender simply decided to skip it?

It is a rather nice feature and since there is simply no way to use the Tidal App to control the A10, we rely on Conductor....

• 3 months later...
23 hours ago, blugosi said:

iPad 6th generation, IOS 13

OK, I have just tried the new conductor app on  my wife’s iPad running iOS 12 and everything looks fine.

I am running iOS 13 beta on my iPad , so I guess that either the Apple developers will fix it , or the Aurender developers will fix it after iOS 13 is sent down the pipeline for everyone.

Should I report this as a bug to Apple?

15 minutes ago, Ponzi said:I would say, too, that is sometimes not so bothersome on my system, which I chalk up to power grid issues. 

I have come to prefer listening to piano music in my car.  It's almost like getting inside the instrument.  The glare is less, although still there.  I would say that the piano in the car sounds better but it is not how a piano really sounds, on an actual stage.  So am I just hoping for too much? 

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated. 

Since DAC and vinyl present the same issue, I will not raise a comment on the PS Audio DAC.

It seems you have reached , or exceeded, the limits of your room. You probably need room tuning.

5 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

The phenomena seems not to exist with vinyl, or to be much lower.  Also, I had the MSB Reference DAC in my house on loan for a while (it is a thing to beauty, BTW), and the glare seemed lower (even much lower) but not nonexistent. I would not have thought to single out the Harbeth  tweeters,  but that is worth looking into I suppose.  Let me add this too.  There are some recordings on which the glare is much worse, for example, Elisabeth Loenskaja's Chopin Nocturnes.  Mush less,  say, on Stewart Goodyear's "For Glenn Gould."  I hear it hardly at all on Angela Hewett's Art of the Fugue.

So one question might be:  Is recording the piano well tricky? 

I would be extremely  surprised if the soft dome tweeter of the Harbeth would be the culprit.

It seems to me  you should start trying our other DACs.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question.

When I am using the Tidal app on my iPad to stream music on my A10  over AirPlay, I’m getting two options beside iPad. One is named exactly as my A10 unit, and the other one is named like the first one with “-USB” appended in the end.

What is the difference between these two options?

Is there a difference in sound quality between them , or between them and Conductor?

BFF9997B-7119-4D55-9FF9-F52714942A3C.png

On 9/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, blugosi said:

Quick question.

When I am using the Tidal app on my iPad to stream music on my A10  over AirPlay, I’m getting two options beside iPad. One is named exactly as my A10 unit, and the other one is named like the first one with “-USB” appended in the end.

What is the difference between these two options?

Is there a difference in sound quality between them , or between them and Conductor?

So, nobody has any idea on this one?

7 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

@blugosi The “USB” appended AirPlay endpoint is for the A10 USB audio output. THe non-USB endpoint is for A10 analog outputs.

...But...why are you using AirPlay to stream Tidal through your A10? You’ll get much better sound quality and performance from Tidal native streaming from within Conductor.

Thank you for the clarification on the USB option.

In fact, I am always using Conductor.

Sometimes my wife and kids want to play their own Tidal playlists and they prefer the Tidal app. 

To be honest, for playing music from Tidal alone I also prefer the Tidal app over Conductor.

In any case, why should streaming via AirPlay sound inferior? Isn't my iPad sending CD quality at 16/44.1?

I understand that Hires / MQA tracks are expected to sound better through conductor as they contain more information, but for normal Hifi streaming there should not be any difference I guess....

9 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

@blugosi 

With AirPlay, on the other hand, the iPad is the player, and it transmits a lossy audio signal to the Aurender for playback. 

It's totally different. 

Well, according to everything I’ve read online, AirPlay is lossless, converting music to ALAC lossless format in 16/44.1.

On Roon forums they mention that the Roon applications treat as lossless audio.

Nevertheless, I expect that even on CD quality content , having the Aurender stream from its own TIDAL core to it’s DAC induces less jitter than having the TIDAL stream reach the iPad , convert to ALAC send the new stream to the Aurender through WiFi and an intermediate router.

I have no idea if this will result in real differences on sound quality. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...