IGNORED

Article: Devialet 200 & 400 Review

I do agree to all the comments made above. What Devialet delivers when it works is outstanding.

Over the last couple of weeks - unfortunately - I came to experience the other side: customer support is nowhere where it used to be.

I have an issue with the speaker output, flagged to Devialet weeks ago; all I hear is that they are working on it.

I bought an amp about 1/10 of the price of my Dev, and it performs flawlessly.

Dieter

• 4 weeks later...

In the early days when Devialet came out its first model revolutionary D - Premier at a cost of €12.000 I jumped at the opportunity and wrote a short review locally - I was very impressed with it. The idea to simplify the set up and reduce the number of boxes for any city dwellers are very compelling. At that point I wouldn't say my complete system was anywhere close to high end and its more like a mid end level if you will. The sound quality from the D - Premier was so good that I was very tempted to sell all my gears.

I did not make the switch at that point for a number of reasons and even now I think it still stands true at least for me. I knew Devialet is special and I am confident given time it will improve its performance in sound quality and so will its pricing structure. Almost 4 years now and indeed they have continued to innovate and enlarged its appeal to a wider group of consumers. Over time I have also made quite a number of changes to my system and its sound quality has improved to a stage that I make far less changes then I used to. Yes, the total cost maybe more versus Devialet but the overall gain in sound quality with separates increases substantially too.

Many Audiophiles are idealistic in the pursue of sound quality and they are almost perfectionist in that. I am one of those that will constantly tweak their system to a stage it meets the evolving expectations. However, Devialet do have a space in Audiophile community as more and more people is looking into a simple and elegant setup not having to toy with too many technicalities to reproduce a good sound. Its really not a zero sum game but about making a purchase that meets your expectations or habits over time.

Enjoy!~

• 3 weeks later...
I do agree to all the comments made above. What Devialet delivers when it works is outstanding.

Over the last couple of weeks - unfortunately - I came to experience the other side: customer support is nowhere where it used to be.

I have an issue with the speaker output, flagged to Devialet weeks ago; all I hear is that they are working on it.

I bought an amp about 1/10 of the price of my Dev, and it performs flawlessly.

Dieter

it's a few more weeks in this exercise: in the meantime, I sent the D200 back, but haven't heard anything for a month.

I'll be moving to another country soon; I think Devialet can keep their stuff, and I'll look for a solution that actually works.

Devialet not recommended!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently recommended my brother buying a D-200 and he also got himself the same speakers that I have. A couple of questions here concerning this:

1. Is it possible to connect a Mac as a server? We're having difficulties, since it always asks for login and password. I don't use mac so I'm not sure if the MAC can automatically work as a server for DLNA.

2. Is there some sort of consensus in regards to the maximum power output and its effects? I'm setting things up for him and won't have time to listen o everything for myself, since he lives abroad.

3. USB with Mac has been kind of complicated using bitperfect. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Devialet and I am using a Mac via USB. I used originally Devialet AIR software (Wifi or ethernet) but I gave up on this one because it is not working reliably. I am using Audirvana+ in my Macbook and it sounds good and works fine (bit perfect)! The maximum power output levels are there to protect the speakers so depending on their rating you should use it or not but it has not a direct effect on sound if you are not playing at maximum.