IGNORED

Beethoven Piano Concertos 3 & 4 - Pires/Harding - any suggestions?

Hello,

Thinking about next buy, so any thoughts and suggestions by the more familiar classical ears about this record please?

Sound quality and performance of course? Over the web it sounds pretty nice and well balanced.

0880040412526_300.jpg

Beethoven: Piano Concertos 3 & 4 | Ludwig van Beethoven par Maria João Pires – Télécharger et écouter l'album

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Hello,

Thinking about next buy, so any thoughts and suggestions by the more familiar classical ears about this record please?

Sound quality and performance of course? Over the web it sounds pretty nice and well balanced.

0880040412526_300.jpg

Beethoven: Piano Concertos 3 & 4 | Ludwig van Beethoven par Maria João Pires*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

The snippets sound very nice from a performance perspective (SQ hard to judge), and I'm a big fan of Harding on Beethoven. Pires is better known for her Mozart, but her delicate style seems to be working well here.

You probably wouldn't go wrong with this album.

Some excellent alternatives to consider:

eClassical - Beethoven ? Piano Concertos 4 & 5

Ludwig van Beethoven : Piano Concertos No.2 & 4 | Ludwig van Beethoven par Leif Ove Andsnes – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Beethoven : Piano Concertos No.1 & 3 | Ludwig van Beethoven par Leif Ove Andsnes – Télécharger et écouter l'album

The snippets sound very nice from a performance perspective (SQ hard to judge), and I'm a big fan of Harding on Beethoven. Pires is better known for her Mozart, but her delicate style seems to be working well here.

You probably wouldn't go wrong with this album.

Some excellent alternatives to consider:

eClassical - Beethoven ? Piano Concertos 4 & 5

Ludwig van Beethoven : Piano Concertos No.2 & 4 | Ludwig van Beethoven par Leif Ove Andsnes*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Beethoven : Piano Concertos No.1 & 3 | Ludwig van Beethoven par Leif Ove Andsnes*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Thanks Musicophile. It seems that Mahler's Orchestra and Sony Classical rules in this repertoire, but none of these have the 3rd concerto, so it makes me thinking that 4th is more famous, am I right?

I don't have any ONYX records, but over the web this sound pretty well and I've read some reviews, especially on web international, that this is indeed a gem. Maybe I will try.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Thanks Musicophile. It seems that Mahler's Orchestra and Sony Classical rules in this repertoire, but none of these have the 3rd concerto, so it makes me thinking that 4th is more famous, am I right?

I don't have any ONYX records, but over the web this sound pretty well and I've read some reviews, especially on web international, that this is indeed a gem. Maybe I will try.

Leif Ove Andsnes has coupled 2 and 4, as well as 1 and 3, I've given you both links.

I'm not sure if any of the concertos (maybe with the exception of no. 5 the "emperor" is more famous than the other. All of them are worth having.

Why not give the Pires a try, I'd be surprised if you'd be disappointed.

Leif Ove Andsnes has coupled 2 and 4, as well as 1 and 3, I've given you both links.

I'm not sure if any of the concertos (maybe with the exception of no. 5 the "emperor" is more famous than the other. All of them are worth having.

Why not give the Pires a try, I'd be surprised if you'd be disappointed.

One thing maybe. Qobuz and HDTracks offer 24/48 for premium price vs. CD, but I didn't find any traces of the ONYX high resolution recordings. eClassical they have CD and also on the original ONYX Classics website there is only CD. So, do you know if this label released any high resolution downloads?

--

Krzysztof Maj

One thing maybe. Qobuz and HDTracks offer 24/48 for premium price vs. CD, but I didn't find any traces of the ONYX high resolution recordings. eClassical they have CD and also on the original ONYX Classics website there is only CD. So, do you know if this label released any high resolution downloads?

To be fair, I'd never heard of this label before. But this sounds quite promising:

About Onyx Classics

I suppose your call if you want to spend some money "for science" and get the high-res, would be great if you could share the spectrograms.

To be fair, I'd never heard of this label before. But this sounds quite promising:

About Onyx Classics

I suppose your call if you want to spend some money "for science" and get the high-res, would be great if you could share the spectrograms.

I've finally pulled the trigger for 24/48 and as requested here are the specrtograms and other data:

fbits:

24/24 bits 01-01-I_Allegro_con_brio-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-02-II_Largo-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-03-III_Rondo_Allegro-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-04-I_Allegro_moderato-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-05-II_Andante_con_moto-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-06-III_Rondo_Vivace-SMR.flac

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 12.36.21.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 12.35.32.png

Sounds wonderful to my ears.

--

Krzysztof Maj

I've finally pulled the trigger for 24/48 and as requested here are the specrtograms and other data:

fbits:

24/24 bits 01-01-I_Allegro_con_brio-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-02-II_Largo-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-03-III_Rondo_Allegro-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-04-I_Allegro_moderato-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-05-II_Andante_con_moto-SMR.flac

24/24 bits 01-06-III_Rondo_Vivace-SMR.flac

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15571[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15572[/ATTACH]

Sounds wonderful to my ears.

Thanks for sharing. Given that they seem to be former Decca guys, and Decca was well known for their recording skills, I was hoping for something positive.

Glad you like it.