IGNORED

What are the new asynch USB converter contenders for 2014?

@pixelphoto; Any luck with this Mac/Gustard U12 combo? it should show up when plugged in under MIDI. (just hit cmd+space and type midi and enter) it'll open the midi configuration tool and you should be able to right-click it and select it for using as your standard audio-output. (hope this works, i'm leaning towards the Gustard U12 too. It looks a tad better than the Matrix X-SPDIF in my opinion (doesn't depend on the computers USB power)

I used to connect my computer to 'Cullen Stage IV PSA DLIII' via a toshlink cable. I'm pairing U12 with 'Cullen Stage IV' now. I use foobar2000 as audio player, and its setting is:

Foobar2000 v1.3.6

Installed components: (i) Super Audio CD Decoder & (ii) WASAPI Output Support.

Device: WASAPI (event).

Buffer Length: 1000 ms.

Output Format: 24 bit.

Tool --> SACD

ASIO Driver Mode: PCM.

PCM Volume: +0dB.

PCM Samplerate: 176400.

DSD2PCM Mode: Multistage (Fixed-Point).

Preferable Area: None.

After 50hrs burn-in, U12 sounds more organised and detailed then the toshlink that I used. The build quality is solid. There is great deal of resolution and texture to jazz. Instruments also sound natural to rock and classical music. I could hear more head room and openness.

I tried to playback my DSF collections via 'Audiogate Lite Version', sounds a bit choppy.

Like other audio equipments, U12 also has room to improve. But, in term of 'Value of Money', I would definitely give Gustard U12 a full mark.

And also, U12 has provided a new lease of life to my 'Cullen Stage IV'.

However, we must consider the resale value of U12 is absolute zero, it is because U12 is made in China.

Regards,

don't feel offended, but I personally don't consider resale value a criteria in this part of the audio. I consider it a part of the computer i'm using. The macmini, upgraded ram and upgraded with an SSD, this is just a little add-on to improve the source. The macmini will probably be a worse investment. with a total investment of less than 900 bucks, it's a relative cheap source which is very practical in use.

The gustard is using proper materials, and it has got a robust appearance. There is always somebody that's willing to try it. It was more appealing to me than some others, not only for its cheaper price.

After 50hrs burn-in, U12 sounds more organised and detailed then the toshlink that I used. The build quality is solid. There is great deal of resolution and texture to jazz. Instruments also sound natural to rock and classical music. I could hear more head room and openness.

Sounds pretty good already...and surely good enough for $130.

However, we must consider the resale value of U12 is absolute zero, it is because U12 is made in China.

What kind of resale value did you expect for $130? :). And I bet you'll find someone here to grab it from you for say $100...e.g. I'll do that if I was in the US atm.

I'd say the U12 is a keeper if you have a DAC without USB input or don't have a top of the line USB input with the DAC. I did give it a shot also using PC as source, had an initial driver install failure because I had the iFi Nano driver installed and it looks like they both use a variant of the same XMOS driver. After I deinstalled the iFi driver I was able to successfully install the U12 driver and gave it a listen using Foobar as media server and renderer in an ordinary Win 7 64 bit environment. This was listenable, none of the midrange "thinness" I found with converters like the JKmKIII or Musical Fidelity Vlink but lacked the dynamics and clarity of using the SoTM SMS100. I suspect going back to Server 2012 with AO would have made it even better but wasn't interested in going down that path of fiddling again.

Swapping back and forth with cables, converters, sources my general impression was that none of the alterations, omissions or irritants were coming from the U12. If anything it looks like this $189 investment in a converter is going to compel me to spend 4x's as much on digital cable upgrades, and battery power supply for the SOTM SMS100 so that I'm hearing all the pairing of the 2 are capable of delivering.

Any problems using the U12 with the SMS100?

I'm considering to add an upsampler (i.e. Musiland SRC10.) in between U12 and DAC.

Do you think it would improve the audio quality? Please advise.

X'mas & Happy 2015.

Just google "foobar sox" and install that plugin. Very good, studio quality upsampling for free.

Will it sound better...maybe...maybe not.

Just google "foobar sox" and install that plugin. Very good, studio quality upsampling for free.

Will it sound better...maybe...maybe not.

My first impression for 'foobar sox' is that, it raises the resolution, and sounds 'brighter'.

Many thanks for your recommendation.

With kind regards,

My first impression for 'foobar sox' is that, it raises the resolution, and sounds 'brighter'.

Many thanks for your recommendation.

With kind regards,

It's usually advisable to only upsample in integer multiples: 2x, 4x... and there are some other settings for the plugin ... in theory it should not be audible in an abx test. Try the abx plugin :)

Received my Gustard U12 a couple of days ago. Amazingly fast delivery considering it was coming to the UK from (or via) Hong Kong. There was about a week delay in getting a tracking number, and I was fully expecting at least further few weeks for delivery. It came the following day!

First impressions are of a very nice looking and well built unit.

The plain brown box (hand-written Chinese symbol on the outer, and a small unlabelled mini CD-rom inside) was a slight surprise - would have expected Chinese retail packaging, and maybe a manual or some paperwork. But nothing. It was well protected for shipping though and there was a mains lead, 3 pin (Chinese or Hong Kong?), and a UK adapter. No other cables. Not that I expected anything, its just to note how it arrived.

I had requested 230V, and after reading some comments here I meant to open it and check it had been set correctly, but I forgot and just powered it up. All was well, and nothing blew up. (I later opened it just to confirm out of paranoia, and it was indeed set to 230V. Was also nicely built and very 'clean' design inside.)

I couldn't actually connect it up initially as it came so fast I hasn't ordered any cables yet. When I plugged in no display came on and so I wasn't sure if it was working - in fact the unit is powered but unless theres an input the frequency window doesn't display anything. A small LED for power might be a nice addition.

While Christmas shopping I grabbed a couple of emergency cables, and gave it a quick test.

Except I couldn't because I was so rushed I ended up getting a USB 3 cable, not realising that the connector was a different shape, and a coax rather than rca digital! So that was a bit of a downer.

A day later and a rummage in the storage, I find a USB 2 cable, and a freebie yellow RCA-RCA from an old camcorder or something. So I could at least test it.

The Mac recognised it instantly, no drivers or settings required, and Audirvana shows that it can handle the full range of frequencies. I'd recently been using Toslink out of the mac, so I can see the range is now extended. It also lights up straight away with 44.1.

I'll save the comments on SQ until I've had a proper comparison.

On first play I honestly couldn't say it was a 'better' sound from the Hugo via the U12 rather than direct from the Mac. If anything the sound is more muted and less detailed. Of course, even if you don't believe high end cables make a difference, you'd be hard pushed not to think a free cable that feels like the insulation's 1mm thick and has very lose plugs might not be detrimental to the sound...

So, I revert to toslink out of the U12, as I have a cable and at least I can leave it powered on to settle down. Does it sound better than toslink out of the Mac? Again, I don't think so on first listen.

But that was never the point of this exercise really. The point was to get RCA spdif into the Hugo, which many users say is its best input, and one I can't do from the Mac direct.

RCA coax now ordered from Mark Grant - seemed like a sensible place to start thanks to some advice form here and elsewhere. Once I have the cable and have had a listen, I'll report back in the New Year with findings.

Happy Christmas!

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

It's usually advisable to only upsample in integer multiples: 2x, 4x... and there are some other settings for the plugin ... in theory it should not be audible in an abx test. Try the abx plugin :)

4x provides a wider sound stage then 2x, however, I prefer the texture of 2x rather then 4x. I am still trying to figure out the differences between 2x, 4x and 96kHz, 192kHz.

Please note, I could play FLAC via 2x and 4x, but I couldn't play DSD64 codec via 2x and 4x.

And, I would try 'abx plugin' sometimes later after new year.

With kind regards,

4x provides a wider sound stage then 2x, however, I prefer the texture of 2x rather then 4x. I am still trying to figure out the differences between 2x, 4x and 96kHz, 192kHz.

Please note, I could play FLAC via 2x and 4x, but I couldn't play DSD64 codec via 2x and 4x.

And, I would try 'abx plugin' sometimes later after new year.

With kind regards,

Sounds like you are already havin lots of fun :)

Cant help you with Dsd, none of my Dacs supports it ... sox is prolly pcm only, you should have special plugins for dsd...also no idea which dsd rates & formats are supported by the gustard .

This dsd-asio guide may work http://jlsounds.com/uploads/foobar_ASIO_setup.pdf. Or not ... google is your friend :)

Sounds like you are already havin lots of fun :)

Cant help you with Dsd, none of my Dacs supports it ... sox is prolly pcm only, you should have special plugins for dsd...also no idea which dsd rates & formats are supported by the gustard .

This dsd-asio guide may work http://jlsounds.com/uploads/foobar_ASIO_setup.pdf. Or not ... google is your friend :)

In fact, my DAC doesn't support DSD as well, I was playing my DSD collections via DOP.

I must say thank you for your knowledge sharing.

With kind regards,

P.S. 'Gustard X12' looks like another hot cake in town.

Help me choose a new DAC

After the first 10 msges or so, this thread is actually about MinimaxPlus and the newer MinimaxSupreme (adds dsd, a display and apparently lots of underthehood improvements)

"Eastern Electric MinimaxSupreme DAC" surely is an attractive offer. However, it doesn't provide HDMI input for us to connect our U12. Therefore, we must ensure the quality of its USB input.

Regards,