IGNORED

Is DoP such a bad thing?

Jabs1542

It's also been implied that many DACs have a sweet spot - where they sample best. This may affect your preferences as well, I think my Lynx Hilo likes 24:192 and my Lampi likes DSD128.

This is frequently overlooked by people comparing formats looking for a definitive answer. Thanks for bringing it up.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I've just bought the marantz hd-dac1 but I cannot configure foobar to play native dsd ...

I'm not inexperienced, before this I had an Audio-gd dac and played dsd through foobar flawlessly.

I have installed the foo_input_sacd from soundforge website, I choose foo_dsd_asio as foobar's output and the in the asio tab, I configure ''foo_dsd_asio'' to use the ''marantz audio device'' .... No matter if I choose ''asio native'' or ''dop'' in the following su-menu, I have no playback ...

Can you help ??

finally, i re-installed Foobar & all the components,and Voila! Everything is ok! Plays dsd with asio, not dop ... the good thing is that even in high gain, it is dead silent (no hum or anything) and it drives HiFiMan HE 500 with great ease !

there, where you\' re not, there happiness lies ....

• 1 month later...
I see that we tend to want direct DSD rather than the DoP implementation of DSD. I can listen to DSD64 and DSD128 in either mode (JRMC for DoP and HQP for direct - note, no up sampling involved).

I guess the real concern to look for is a native DSD ASIO driver (which both my DACs have thus the reason I've never experienced clicks and pops and can play native DSD or DoP). Seems like anyone looking to purchase a DSD compatible DAC should investigate the manufacturer's drivers prior to purchase.

Jabs1542, I am confused by your statements here. One, just using HQPlayer's Direct SDM checkbox does not mean you are using ASIO vs DoP...it simply means HQPlayer is bypassing any of its great but additional DSP....your DAC must support one (DoP) or the other (custom ASIO).

Two, your second comment implies that your Lampi has a custom ASIO driver that supports raw DSD. I was not aware that Lampi ships a custom ASIO driver. I was under the impression it still uses DoP (just the word ASIO does not make a driver enabled for direct raw DSD).

BTW, thanks for the "sweetspot" comment. I editorialize on it every chance I get (reviews, articles, posts). :)

Jabs1542, I am confused by your statements here. One, just using HQPlayer's Direct SDM checkbox does not mean you are using ASIO vs DoP...it simply means HQPlayer is bypassing any of its great but additional DSP....your DAC must support one (DoP) or the other (custom ASIO).

Two, your second comment implies that your Lampi has a custom ASIO driver that supports raw DSD. I was not aware that Lampi ships a custom ASIO driver. I was under the impression it still uses DoP (just the word ASIO does not make a driver enabled for direct raw DSD).

BTW, thanks for the "sweetspot" comment. I editorialize on it every chance I get (reviews, articles, posts). :)

You are correct and I discovered this later on. What threw me off was that HQP would work with and without DoP (in the Settings menu). Shortly afterwards my DAC stopped working and the repair resulted in the replacement of the small Amara USB board. It only works in DoP now. I don't know if this was a HQP software snafoo or an Amara USB hardware snafoo, I suspect the faulty USB interface hardware was doing something goofy with the handshake.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

It's also been implied that many DACs have a sweet spot - where they sample best. This may affect your preferences as well, I think my Lynx Hilo likes 24:192 and my Lampi likes DSD128.

I couldn't agree more with your "sweet spot" comment.

I have a Lampi DSD (only) DAC and love the sound of everything converted to DSD128. My DAC currently maxes out at DSD128, but I'm considering upgrading to the newer Lampi DSD board which is DSD256 capable.

Are you saying that you prefer DSD128 over DSD256 on your Lampi, or does your DAC not have DSD256 capability?

Thanks,

Keith

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Are you saying that you prefer DSD128 over DSD256 on your Lampi, or does your DAC not have DSD256 capability?

I prefer DSD128 to DSD64 on the Lampi, I haven't upgraded to DSD256 yet. Have any Lampi owners in the U.S. done this upgrade yet? What was the process? How long did it take?

thanks,

Jay

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800