IGNORED

Windows 8.1 better than Windows 8?

ecwl

I sometimes wonder if I'm crazy when I think one software/OS/optimization sounds better than another because bits are bits...

I had my CAPS v3 Carbon running Windows 8 with the wonderful Computer Audio Design Audio Optimization Script. But I really wanted to have the latest OS (really for no good reason other than tech nervosa). So I uninstalled the script, updated to Windows 8.1 completed all Windows 8.1 updates and ran ccleaner to clean up the registry (which was cleaned prior to the Win 8 script) and then ran the Computer Audio Design Audio Optimization Script for Windows 8.1.

And I'm convinced that the music sounds better. Deeper black, better dynamics, more natural/fuller instrumental/vocal sound. Could be psychological especially when I can't ABX or even really AB the effect.

I've read in the forums that a lot of people prefer Windows Server 2012 to Windows 8. For the less adventurous such as myself, perhaps Windows 8.1 will do? On the other hand, I'm just glad I didn't brick my machine from a failed Windows 8.1 upgrade...

I sometimes wonder if I'm crazy when I think one software/OS/optimization sounds better than another because bits are bits...

I had my CAPS v3 Carbon running Windows 8 with the wonderful Computer Audio Design Audio Optimization Script. But I really wanted to have the latest OS (really for no good reason other than tech nervosa). So I uninstalled the script, updated to Windows 8.1 completed all Windows 8.1 updates and ran ccleaner to clean up the registry (which was cleaned prior to the Win 8 script) and then ran the Computer Audio Design Audio Optimization Script for Windows 8.1.

And I'm convinced that the music sounds better. Deeper black, better dynamics, more natural/fuller instrumental/vocal sound. Could be psychological especially when I can't ABX or even really AB the effect.

I've read in the forums that a lot of people prefer Windows Server 2012 to Windows 8. For the less adventurous such as myself, perhaps Windows 8.1 will do? On the other hand, I'm just glad I didn't brick my machine from a failed Windows 8.1 upgrade...

Hi ecwl,

Thank you for the kind words about the Computer Audio Design script!

I do not think Windows 8.0 sounds any different than 8.1 on it's own, but the Computer Audio Design Script for Windows 8.1 has more in it than the version for 8.0. That may be one of the reasons you feel there is an improvement.

My suggestion for most people is to upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 and use the 8.1 script. We have had many people tell us exactly what you are describing - so you are not alone. : )

Best Regards,

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

Interesting to note the Phasure/XXhighend followers feel W8 is the one for best sound and upgrading to 8.1 is fraught with problems. In the light of progress one is forced to probably go 8.1, to buy 8 is becoming difficult. I'm still on 7.

We have been using 8.1 with exceptional results for a long time.... I definitely feel / in my opinion 8 or 8.1 is better than 7 though.

Scott

Where can I get the script and instructions for it.

Hi Scott,

Just one quick question, at the moment I don't have time to read your instructions because I'm on business trip, but when I come home I would like to try your OPTIMIZATION SCRIPT for Win 8.1. When I run it the changes are permanent, or only until next restart?

They are permanent, but there is a second script to return everything back to normal

Scott

Another quick question: after running the script on 8.1 would I still have a desktop and be able to play videos? I seem to remember an earlier version of the script had an option to disable the graphics processes.

Yes, you will have a desktop and I think video should be OK. The Computer Audio Design Shell Killer is an option script that shuts down your graphics - just do not use that.

They are permanent, but there is a second script to return everything back to normal

Scott

Hi Scott,

Would it be possible to modify this script to be effective only until next restart? Because I use my workstation also as music server, and as I'm not able to do both simultaneously, would be handy that after evening listen, in the morning when I restart the PC workstation is back.

sorry another question Scott, if you don't mind..

Any feedback on using Logitech Media Server with your Script?

My current old win8 machine is wired to a router to enable me to send wireless play/stop etc. commands from my ipod, and uses win8 bridge mode to wire to my squeezebox(digital out to dac), I'm hoping your script does not disable things I may be using?

Many Thanks