IGNORED

Simplified JRiver like"multiroom" DLNA app..

Ok JRiver will do a kind of multiroom DLNA thing... I get that ...

But With so many DLNA streamers now coming out I've got one question.

Why isn't there a cut down version of JRiver that say could run on a small Linux box... Even a NAS, that could then be linked to an app which could do simple multiroom. ?

That's all.

Just find all the DLNA streamers on a networks and group them all and play together in party mode.

Don't try do everything. Leave apps like Spotify connect or the device apps themselves to do that.

All I want is a simple app that groups the streamers together and ungroups them ...

Why isn't there something out there?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Ok JRiver will do a kind of multiroom DLNA thing... I get that ...

But With so many DLNA streamers now coming out I've got one question.

Why isn't there a cut down version of JRiver that say could run on a small Linux box... Even a NAS, that could then be linked to an app which could do simple multiroom. ?

That's all.

Just find all the DLNA streamers on a networks and group them all and play together in party mode.

Don't try do everything. Leave apps like Spotify connect or the device apps themselves to do that.

All I want is a simple app that groups the streamers together and ungroups them ...

Why isn't there something out there?

Umm- there already is. On Linux no less. Look at the JRMC ID computer.

By the way, JRMC doesn't do something "like" DLNA, it *does* DLNA. It also knows how to stream, reliably, and in high res, to remote devices.

Id - JRiverWiki

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for that Paul.. I wasn't aware of that..

the big q is will this support synchronized playback? Always is Sync.

So let me get this straight..

This will run JRiver.

I can use JPlay to pull up Jriver on it

When I do that: I will see MinimServer as a DLNA share

I will also see the 8 or so UPnP renderer's on there

I will able to select a track to stream from MinimServer then

I will be able to select all these UPnP renderers using JPlay group them all together, then play the track to all of them in sync

I will then be able to drop whatever room/renderer I want...and then re-add at will

All never playing out of Sync (like Sonos does)

All on the JRMC ID computer

All using JPlay

Correct? (i've also asked the same q on the JRiver forum)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Thanks for that Paul.. I wasn't aware of that..

the big q is will this support synchronized playback? Always is Sync.

So let me get this straight..

This will run JRiver.

I can use JPlay to pull up Jriver on it

When I do that: I will see MinimServer as a DLNA share

I will also see the 8 or so UPnP renderer's on there

I will able to select a track to stream from MinimServer then

I will be able to select all these UPnP renderers using JPlay group them all together, then play the track to all of them in sync

I will then be able to drop whatever room/renderer I want...and then re-add at will

All never playing out of Sync (like Sonos does)

All on the JRMC ID computer

All using JPlay

Correct?

I didn't see any mention of JPlay in your original note, and I don't use JPlay. No improvement to my ears, and I don't like and don't want to support the developers.

However, why make it difficult?

Have one nice beefy server tucked away somewhere running JRMC.

The ID will play the library from JRMC.

JRMC can see all your UPnP renderers and play to them.

You can control this all nicely with JRemote.

The ID or any UPnP renderer can play as a separate zone, in synch or not. Caution: different renderers, with different DACs and processing delays may not synch perfectly.

When you bring in JPlay, I am out of the mix, though it will run fine on the ID.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Sorry and thanks for this help on the totaly awesome development!!!!

Sorry I meant JRemote not JPlay..

All this for For $295???

That's insane

You've got one and are doing this??

The ID will play the library from JRMC.

-Paul

Sure but will it play a MinimServer UPnP share??...let me relook at this on OSX..

Nope. It's a dud. I know you luv JRiver Paul... But always it never quite gets there (at my place anyway)

Nope. It's a dud. I know you luv JRiver Paul... But always it never quite gets there (at my place anyway)

Actually, it just worked fine here, so it is probably a config error.

On the other hand, why bother with MinumServer? JRMC already has a built in DLNA server...

By the way, my very favorite music server us A+, but JRemote is so much bettet than the competition, it is worth running JRMC just to have JRemote! :)

Robert A. Heinlein

Ok. OK!!! haha I'll order one and give it a try and ditch MinimServer.

Lol. At $295... What's there to lose ?

$295 that's ridiculous.