IGNORED

How to PC audio (music+gaming) to receiver -- over LAN or wireless

Dear All,,

I have a PC and HIFI speakers in my office. The thing is, the receiver for these HIFI speakers is in the room next door.

I need to transmit music and gaming sound from my PC to this receiver in the room next door. Wires on the floor is not an option. This receiver is about 9 meters + 1 wall away from my PC.

I do have a GIGAbyte network however, including connections next to my PC and receiver. Wireless is also an option, but I dont know if its too far, or laggy. What is the best way to get audio from my PC to this receiver?

Thank you so much

Does the receiver have AirPlay? If so Airfoil may work. The problem may be for gaming and that may add an unacceptable delay.

Other options woul be something like a wireless DAC from NAD or Audioengine. This would plug into the analogue (RCA) inputs of your receiver.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I am skeptical that a generic external USB audio card will work well with gaming... hardware acceleration is important to not get stutter or lockups, doubt EAX is built into NAD or Audioengine USB devices.

Hi guys, I don't really need EAX or surround, just stereo for gaming is fine. Even audio quality, doesnt have to be crazy high - something pretty good will work. But the lag should not be BAD. Do Airfoil/Airplay work over the LAN? Does LAN audio have less lag than wireless?

I am skeptical that a generic external USB audio card will work well with gaming... hardware acceleration is important to not get stutter or lockups, doubt EAX is built into NAD or Audioengine USB devices.

It may not work well; but do you have an alternative suggestion?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi guys, I don't really need EAX or surround, just stereo for gaming is fine. Even audio quality, doesnt have to be crazy high - something pretty good will work. But the lag should not be BAD. Do Airfoil/Airplay work over the LAN? Does LAN audio have less lag than wireless?

Airfoil has a free demo (limited to 10 minutes) why not try it...

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/

Eloise

---

hi Twinturbo

I had the same issue. I tried Airfoil and SWYH the 2 solutions to stream computer sound using LAN : big delay, awful, unacceptable for watching movies etc of course.

I tried this from TrendNet :

12-Meter USB 2.0 Extension Cable

TU2-EX12 (Version V1.0R)

Result : no delay, no loss in sound quality.

Quite cheap and does the job perfectly. Why bother ? ;-)

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead