IGNORED

How quiet are the new Macbook 13's?

okey dokey

I'm just about to go dedicated MAC (and this from a linux head). Principally because of the firewire support of the Pro companies.

Now what's the physically quietest model. I like the look of the new MacBook 13 - it can serve many functions including a music server esp with a NAS attached.

Come on everyone...bring me over to the MAC side....give me a recommemdation. I ahve tried the Mac Mini but it was a dog - very very slow and not particularly user friendly (ie it was a pain to mod)

oh ps it has to do duty as work pc (documents only), torrent box and music server. Most likely I'll buy an Amarra on SSD when they come down abit....(the SSD's that is)..

Cheers

Andrew

Best Wishes

Andrew

Do it!

I did it about 3 weeks ago.

But you want the Mac Book Pro which I assume is what you are looking at. Add 4GB RAM. Add a 1TB external (firewire) and you are good to go.

I have a MBPro 13, 160gig with 100 CD's ripped at AIFF and it's taken 50gig already.

Add an Airport Express receiver and it's a super versatile set up.

Traditionally I've been a PC user. This Mac is so much faster and stable no matter what you do with it.

Can't comment on Amarra use as that is out of my league....

Oh, I'm having fun with Garage Band too thanks to files courtesy of NIN.

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

actually I am thinking about the 13 inch Mac Book - like I say lots of processing power isn't necc. I can upgrade the Ram/HDD- SSD myself.

Then again I may just buy the MacBook Pro. Which is quieter?

I'm being lazy - does the 13 inch Macbook support 4GB plus RAM?

and what do you use to play FLAC? Play is it?

Cheers

A

actually I am really excited because I've found a thread on how to get MPD working on Apple (unix after all).

Do they have HDMI out?

Best Wishes

Andrew

you can import flac files to your itunes library by using a freeware call fluke, just install it, then right click on the flac or wav files you want to import and select open with- other, then browse for fluke in your applications and youre all set, you will be able to play flac from itunes, regarding the 4gb of ram for your macbook, im not sure it can support 4 gb of ram using leopard, but im quite sure the up and coming snow leopard fully supports more than 4 gb of ram, since its a full 64bit operating system.

some people call me urakis[br]late 2008 aluminum macbook running mac os x leopard 10.5.7, dell xps m1530 running windows vista sp2, itunes 8.

The first Unibody 13" MacBooks did away with the firewire connection, now re-instated with the 13" MacBook Pro and irrespective of where you stand on the Firewire/USB/Toslink debate, its useful to have that. The plastic case MacBooks never lost it so remain a lower cost option. Sound considerations aside, the aluminium Unibody Books feel so great....like the notebooks Krell would make if they ever did such a thing and better to travel with if you do that. The Mini is essentially a notebook in a different case and works fine. If you have other Macs on a network, you can use screen-sharing to control the Mini, which means you dont need a monitor and keyboard for it.You can also use an iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote. Creative use of the remote speakers facility in iTunes will enable you to have music in different rooms via Airport Expesses. I've been experimenting with 24 bit downloads from BW Society of Sound, Linn and Naim ( spot the Brit MacBoy) and using the freeware Max to convert FLAC into ALAC or AIFF ( sbooth.org). that works very well and 24/88 sounds really good.

The AppleTV is a stripped down Mini and may provide the connectivity you want...none of the MacBooks have HDMI sockets. Certainly a Mini or MacBook on an Airport Extreme network with a big external hard-drive connected to the computer gives most of the functionality of available Music servers but at much lower cost, and they can be used as computers as well! Only downside to this rosy MacWorld is that the automatic backup of Time Machine doesnt happen to files on external hard drives so you'll have to back those up some other way. Have fun!

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

Andrew,

I have two of the new 13 Pro one 2.26 with 2G (going to 4G) memory and the other with a Vertex SSD 120GB drive and 8GB of memory which is the faster 2.53GHz.

They are both dead quiet... I also have a new standard MacBook and it is really quiet also.

Thanks

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming you mean slower rather than smaller processors, I think you'll find that any Intel based Mac is capable or running MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) for standard tasks. I run (Non-Apple hardware) a Pentium 4 which benchmarks (IIRC) around speed of the Core Solo 1.6 in the first MacMini and that runs Safari, Mail, OpenOffice, on a daily basis along with Gimp (image manipulation), Dreamweaver and other stuff occasionally. All run at a usuable speed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Excellent Eloise.

Sorry Gordon - what I meant was whether the smaller of the two MacBook Pro processors ie the 2.24Ghz processor was adequate.

I had a shocking experience with a Mac Mini with inbuilt graphics - barely useable.

Thanks

Andrew

Best Wishes

Andrew

You're right - the graphics chip is important. But the new MacBooks have reasonable graphics IIRC if not SOTA unless you get the 15" IIRC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have a new 13" MBP and love it. I put in an SSD and 4 GB of RAM as well. Pick up the RAM from macsales.com, it's like $70 compared to Apple's several hundred dollar price. THe machine is very quiet. The graphics are respectable. I suggest going to the Apple Store and running a bunch of apps that you want to test. You can put the MacBook through its paces there.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

If you put in the DDR2 memory then it is going to run like a dog. The DDR3 1066 memory is one of the reasons why the unit works so well and is a lot more exspensive at $337 for 4G:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S4GB/

~~~~~~~

Gang I would load GarageBand it takes a ton of processing and is one huge app. It would show for sure the processing power of each one.

Thanks

Gordon

Pricing a new Mac Book Pro on the Apple site, the base machine is $1199 and adding 2GB to the 2GB that comes with the machine is another $100. First, am I right? Second, any reason not to use this RAM if going to 4GB on the machine? Doesn't make sense to me from what I've read to go to the slightly faster processor, 4GB or Ram and the 250GB drive, since i'm leaning toward SSD.

MBP13-128gb ssd using VoiceOver to hear the screen, iTunes, Ayre QB-9, McIntosh mx119 & mc207, Thiel CS2.4

Hi Ray - The upgrade to 4GB is quite a deal considering Apple's usual RAM prices. I recommend going for it so you don't have to install it yourself. I recently upgraded to 4GB myself, but purchased it through macsales.com and installed it myself. I also installed an SSD on my MacBook Pro 13" base model.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

there's no reason NOT to purchase the Apple RAM. It would cost about $80 to purchase 2 2GB RAM modules separately, plus you would have to install it.

Definitely no need for the additional processing speed for audio, nor the larger hard drive if you plan to go with SSD.

Apple sells 'refurbished' computers (which most often are discontinued models) for a discount.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Everymac.com is the best site for comparisons of the various models. In this instance, I would NOT recommend the older model of Macbook Pro, as you would forgo both the Firewire 800 port, the new 7 hour battery of the latest model, and support for increasing RAM to 8Gb. In my experience, max RAM size is almost always the limiting factor that leads me to an upgrade (rather than processor speed, graphics, etc.). But if funds are tight, you might want to consider it.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/differences-between-macbook-pro-13-inch-mid-2009-sd-firewire-800-late-2008-unibody-core-2-duo.html

One thing to watch for with refurbished models - some really ARE refurbished, and in my experience these are likely to have an upgraded part (which I imagine was the one refurbished). For example, a refurbished low end Macbook Pro might have the larger HD size, or larger video RAM, only available on the higher priced models.

The point being - sometimes you can buy a machine that is NOT exactly as described on everymac.com. Check the significant parameters = proc speed, RAM, HD size and type, video card, and video ram. I've seen non-standard versions of each of these in the past.

These are fully warranted, and while they arrive in a non-standard box, they look brand new in every way.

I've bought three refurbished models now, even though I could also have gotten the $100 education discount for the current model for any one of them. I've had less problems with these than the non-refurbished models, although the refurbished are models are all recent.

You can also get a $100 education discount, if you're a teacher or are buying the machine for a college student, etc.

happy buying,

clay

Hi everyone

well I have taken the plunge and picked up a MBP13 inch.Will pop in 4Gb of Ram have ordered Amarra Mini and we shall see.

Chris may I ask - I plan on using this as a work laptop and having my music on a separate USB HDD eg a Seagate Free Agent. Is there any disadvantage to running a reasonablly small SDD eg 64GB (which will be fine for my work) and the music on USB drive?

Thanks

A

Best Wishes

Andrew

Hi Andrew - Your plan is a good one. I will say my Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB has acted up on my playing music the last few times I've used it. I did format it FAT32 from a Mac and was trying to access it with an XP PC. Sure this is supposed to work just fine, but it may be the reason for my issues and not the drive.

Chris

I bought a OCZ 30GB Vertex SSD for my OS on my linux music server/win torrent box and love it.

Would you suggest a 64GB Vertex or is there something else that floating around? I understand the ones to get are the OCZ, Samsung and Intel.

Incidenatlly Apple just lowered the price of the 1TB Time Capsule here so I picked up one of those and will convert all my Flac to AIFF. Plus use it for work back up.

Thanks

A

Best Wishes

Andrew