IGNORED

Quality comparison article in mainstream (UK) press

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

And you've never repeat posted anything :-p

My excuse is being away from civilisation for a few days...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I believe that the confusing part is that just because a playback format is labeled High-Resolution due to the fact that it's 24-bit with a higher than 44.1 KHz sample rate or is sold as a DSD file or an SACD disc, does NOT mean that the material on that hi-res delivery media is, itself, hi-res. You can take a 16-bit, 44.1 KHz CD quality recording, up-sample it to 24/96 (or to DSD [the SACD Format]) and sell it as hi-res when it is nothing of the kind. This also applies to (sometimes ancient) analog masters from the 50's, 60's and 70's that are played into an analog-to-digital encoder and saved as either DSD or 24/96 LPCM files. But this isn't really hi-res either. Add to this the fact that transferring music from one format (such as analog master tapes) to so-called "hi-res" media doesn't guarantee that the high-res copy sounds any better than did earlier CDs or even phonograph records of the same material! Then there are the indifferently recorded, mastered and produced new recordings which wouldn't sound very good in any format from MP3, to CD, to 24/96/192 LPCM to DSD! I have 15 year-old CDs that actually sound better than the same recordings released on SACD or DVD-A and sold as High-Resolution. No wonder people who are exposed to so-called hi-res recordings for the first time are often underwhelmed. They aren't getting what they've been told to expect. IOW, it takes the whole ball of wax; a carefully, and properly made recording captured to hi-res recording gear that is then carefully mastered to whatever delivery media that is to be used, and then is played back on the best playback equipment through top-notch DACs, amplifiers and speakers. Fall down in any one of those areas and your so-called hi-res "experience" will be quite a bit less than prepossessing.

George