IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

awesome!

New Aries wish list:

SSD HD for internal storage

isolated usb3.0/3.1 output

faster processor

DSD 512 output (don't know why just sounds cool like my chord dave)

MQA (might as well just do this for bells and whistles)

beefier linear power supply

more refined exterior case

@ what price point?

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have been running the current Beta firmware almost from the time of it's release. There is no doubt that there is a difference to version 3.3 with the immediate impression being one of improved clarity & definition but I have noticed that I have been listening to music for shorter periods. I am home a lot and there is usually music playing when I am, but lately I find myself switching it off a lot earlier than usual.

I recently switched back to version 3.3 to compare and whilst it isn't initially as impressive as the Beta firmware, the presentation is smoother and less fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

I suppose it could be argued that the new firmware isn't as forgiving on less than stellar recordings but if your library is predominantly Rock or Popular music, then the chances are that a very large percentage of it would fit into the less than stellar category and I'm not sure that the new firmware is a good "all round" solution in this case.....at least in it's current incarnation.

So, I've given my feedback to Auralic and I'll stick with 3.3 and see if there is any further tweaking by them before the new firmware is officially released. If it remains as is I might have to look at an alternative, I hope this isn't the case as I love the convenience of my Aries.

To each his own.

IMO Beta 4.06/7 are overall more resolving.

Since there is more apparent air and possibly more apparent high frequency I can see that in systems that tend towards over-etched or in the face may push things too far and become as you say "fatiguing."

I'm hearing nothing that fits that description, though my system, by some, may be considered a bit laid back but is in every way "full-range."

To me the current version sounds excellent,,, and I'll be sure that Auralic also gets that message.

Yes it will definitely be system dependent. It's funny because my setup was always described as "laid back" or "analog sounding" before installing the Beta firmware, it has me wondering about a couple of tweaks I put in place with the older firmware to get a bit more definition.....I might go and "undo" something to see if it makes a difference.

Good idea.

IME every time a change is made, rebalancing the system needs to be considered.

Sometimes it's as simple as a minor change in speaker placement, height, tilt.

Yes, tweaks that pushed things in a certain direction may no longer be needed, or be in need of adjustment.

There are many many ways to push in a newly desired direction.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you --- and me.

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum, as well in computer audio streamers etc..

I would like to ask if this auralic is able to play as good as high end player connected to very good DAC. I have heard that it can't.

I have yamaha CDS1000 with spdif pure silver cable to my DAC and i would like to start using my qnap NAS and forget on yamaha transport. What are your opinions? Thank you.

In my experienced opinion>You heard wrong.

Using Roon with the Aries does have the advantage of protecting me from the sonic variances which come with new software releases as well, which is a bonus. The latest Aries SW/FW combo which utilises a memory cache for playback does have merit, but there is too much bass emphasis for my liking.

Why do you think that Roon will never make changes to its playback engine?

IMO they should consider doing so since in my experience it has fallen behind others.

To my ears, in my system Roon did not sound as good as HQPlayer OR the latest beta firmware of the Auralic Aries.

Anyone using Roon with the Aries is giving up something in doing so.

I have always been confused by speaker rake, height and tilt. My speakers, Vienna Acoustics Kiss are quite adjustable. I can toe in or out the bass module. I can also separately toe in or out the midrange and treble drivers. I find toe in solidifies the image and toeing out gives a more open sound, wider soundstage with better instrumental separation and less sibilance.

However, what does speaker rake, height and tilt do? I can lower the mid and tweeter driver to angle down towards me or raise them to point higher but what effect would I get? I would like a warmer balance.

Thanks

With most speakers "warmer" should come with more rear tilt.

This just in from testflight@auralic:

"Hi, Doak:

Thanks for the feedback, we believe on our measurement and what I heard in our testing system. Everything we brought in recently updates are absolutely positive, we wont roll back for the changes for sure.

The 4.0 final is now been pushed to Beta user this Friday with the final one coming next week.

Enjoy!"

• 2 weeks later...
I understand the convenience and Roon is great indeed (paid for a lifetime subscribtion and using it most of the time)

though the Aries sounds sensibly better standalone, using Lightning DS, than as "Roon device" ;)

not to mention only streaming service available in Roon is Tidal which... sorry: during my trial I spent 98% of the time skipping through stuff I didn't like :P

I have a Roon sub that I'm not using at all.

No way I will give up the substantial sonic advantage of playing through LDS - a shame but that's how it is.

Tried to "have my cake n eat in too" by going to a 2 computer setup w mRendu/HQP/Roon but it was a logistical nightmare.

Very happy now back to Aries/LDS for both SQ and interface. I know it can be better and am confident that Auralic will make it so.

Agree, the Aries was an excellent product for 2015 but the microRendu as a 2016 product had more focus on reducing contribution of the motherboard to noise that interferes with low level signal clarity. I'm finding that while DAC's matter most aren't heard at their full potential because of noise in renderer solution feeding them. And that the differences in technology to read data off a disc/drive matters in correctly establishing clocking for an audio stream.

The Aries takes the computer out of the signal chain and replaces it entirely with a minimalist, purpose built device that does a great job at handling, streaming, playing digital music files. The fact that it is being continuously improved is also a big plus.

I did all I could to squeeze the best out of the mRendu. The Aries, IMO, does as well or better with a lot less hassle.

Actually one can say exactly the same about the microRendu

'The {insert renderer of preference} takes the computer out of the signal chain and replaces it entirely with a minimalist, purpose built device that does a great job at handling, streaming, playing digital music files.'

What the Aries excels at is its proprietary app, Lightning Server. Whereas with the mRendu you use 3rd party apps like Minimserver for media server, Kinsky or Lumin for controller.

I suspect the hassle you refer to isn't the microRendu itself but rather the complexity of add on PC based solutions like HQPlayer. Personally I'd rather cut up and chow down a parametric equalizer than fiddle with the poor GUI of HQPlayer. But this site is a computer audiophile site, so there are those who want to get into push-pop stacks vs just push a button.

.... except with the mRendu one still needs to use a computer. IMO "computer audio" is best done w/o a computer.

But think you're correct in that many/most folks here may get as much or more out of "dicking with" computers than listening to music.

As you already noticed there are people prefering Wyred4Sound Recovery to USB Regen. What you´ll need to know before you descide is that there are advantages/disadvantages with both of them.

IMO the best USB cable is an unshielded 3-wire USB cable with detachable GND wire (after DAC handshake). This USB cable can only be bought special made by request (Elijah Audio, Curious cable etc) or if you are a handy guy=DIY. A problem with W4S Recovery is that it needs to see 5v (but do isolate the 5v & use femto clocking). Regen does´nt need to see 5v and can be used with a 3-wire USB cable without problem and without adding a separate USB LPS/BPS in the line. If you want to follow the route to use no 5v and no GND after DAC handshake you have no other option than Regen of the two. If you prefer to use shielded store cables WS4 Recovery is for sure a great choice but you will loose out the real benifits of cutting off 5v and GND. If you want to explore the path of unshielded data only USB cables I would recommend Regen. Personally I am pretty sure that no one that have listen to usnhielded data only USB cables will ever change back. However, it is your choise. Choose the best option for you...and choose wisely! ;)

Oh...one more thing. Before you descide you will need to check if your DAC needs to see 5v or not.

The Recovery has its own power. Why would it need power from USB?

I tape it off w/no problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...