IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Same here..Curious USB cable is a great cable !! ...

Compared to version 3.3 the 4 beta 4 sounds bigger, deeper with more air in the top frequencies...DSD however will not play in this version, its not a big problem for me, but this will for sure be taken care of in the final version 4.

Playing DSD into my Lampizator DAC here w/o a hitch.

Might want to check settings.

Stupid question...How do you take a redbook recording 16-44 and upsample it to 192?

We're, I hope, talking about the HQPlayer/microRendu part of my post here. HQP run on a separate computer is designed to and can be used to upsample or even downsample anything to just about anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
The other popular one is

https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html

Doak, have you decided in favour of the microRendu vs the Aries already? Did you have further listening impressions?

The recent firmware update for the Aries IMO pulled it about side by side with the mRendu/Roon in my system.

My fave setup as far as SQ remains the 2 computer Roon/HQP-NAA/mRendu setup. To me this is a game changer. Looking to optimise it. Certainly way more complicated than the literally plug-n-play Aries which remains impressive and highly recommended for "normal people." ;-)

The recent firmware update for the Aries IMO pulled it about side by side with the mRendu/Roon in my system.

My fave setup as far as SQ remains the 2 computer Roon/HQP-NAA/mRendu setup. To me this is a game changer. Looking to optimise it. Certainly way more complicated than the literally plug-n-play Aries which remains impressive and highly recommended for "normal people." ;-)

I meant to and should have noted that the Aries firmware I cited is still in beta stage.

I hadn't found the Aries USB to sound any worse than the other outputs, so that makes sense, thanks.

Once upon a time I was using Aries coax out for PCM (because it sounded better than USB) and USB for DSD (because I had no choice). Addition of Uptone Regen with good PSU and inexpensive Supra cable changed that. USB now sounds at least as good, prob better and MUCH more convenient.

ps: more I listen to Aries with 4.04beta firmware, the more I like it - a substantial step up in SQ.

That is very interesting Doak, I thought that these USB devices were aimed at noisy computer feeds, but you are saying that the Aries benefits. By much? You seem to imply that it is a significant difference. I am very interested in this if I can improve the Aries.

I have a Chord Dave DAC with 3 connected sources, a Melco NAS connected by USB, an MBL 1521A CD transport connected by AES and the Aries which is connected by optical. Of the 3 sources, the sound quality is MBL just slightly edging the Melco, then Aries. Consequently, I only use the Aries for exploratory listening via Qobuz or convenient, casual listening and it has been pretty good for both. The differences are not down to the Dave inputs as I have tested different inputs across each source and drawn the same conclusions.

Ideally, I'd prefer to have the MBL plus just one source for streaming - that could be the Aries or the Melco. When the Melco gets its own app and I can play Qobuz, I may no longer need the Aries. Alternatively, if I can get the sound quality of the Aries up to the Melco, then I only need the Aries and can use the Melco just as a NAS.

I did think that the Aries beta firmware was sounding better which is why it is frustrating that my unit has been bricked - UPS collected it today. If I can get the Aries SQ up past the Melco, that will help to simplify my setup as I could use Aries for everything except CD's. I'd like that as the control app is making good progress now and the multi room function seemed to work quite well.

Sorry, that has become quite a long post - I could have just said that I'm interested in any solutions that may improve the Aries SQ! I had not considered these USB solutions previously.

If you haven't used Regen with Aries IMO you haven't heard it at its best.

Well, I've gone and ordered a W4S RUR. Next someone will be telling me that I really need a fancy power supply to get full benefit! Then something else on top of that...........

I'm going to have to stop coming here!! ;)

Really is a bit much. I ordered some fiber optic ethernet conversion equip today ... that'll prob benefit from LPSUs too!! There truly does appear to be no end to this stuff. :P

Did you follow the setup on Audiostream? Think I will try that too - pretty low barrier to entry.

But seriously there is no end to this stuff and I will probably stop there. Getting sick of the litany of extra "fixers", power supplies, cables, etc that are in a big mess behind the rack...

Yep,,, on its way.

Yes, that would be akin to a filter setting I suppose. Or DSP. The much touted but never present HQ Player type upsampling too.

Hard to imagine that Auralic "touted HQP type upsampling." Can you provide a pointer to this statement?

The Aries is great and getting even better at what it was designed to do, though it purposely lacks the processing power required to do the heavy lifting required to do serious upsampling.

That was just a tongue in cheek comment on my part.

Auralic themselves have alluded to upsampling and DSP functions being added in initial emails to me and I presume to others as I read on this board. As recent as a month ago, they said in an email that they were working on enabling HQ Player NAA with Jussi although I did email Jussi about this and never received a reply.

It was just wishful thinking on my part since you commented that it was the HQ Player upsampling that was the game changer in your comparison against the microRendu.

Listening to Aries with newest firmware now for first time. Sounding very, very good.

FYI: Think I've "run the course" on HQPlayer/Roon/Fidelizer Pro/dual computer setup/optical network iso, etc...

I've found myself back to "dicking with computers/network" way too much (again) and spending less time relaxing and listening to music. This is PRECISELY the reason I acquired the Aries more than a year ago. With the way my system is sounding using the Aries, and the problems I've had with the (overly) complicated alternative it looks like I'm heading back to the Auralic fold.

EVERY time I plug the Aries back into the system it comes up playing music IMMEDIATELY.

The "alternative system" is a constant bother. A dozen things must be just right to get music out of it.

Then I've suffered lots of drop-out even failure to play even when everything appears to be "just right."

This kind of frustration and (IMO) foolishness is not what this wonderful avocation is all about - not for me anyway.

I am - first and foremost - a music lover. Some people really do enjoy messing with computer stuff - not my thing,, well only if I'm getting paid well to do it. ;-)

Put a Wyred Recovery in my system about an hour ago.

Was an early adopter of the Regen and microRendu.

Now making another run at maximizing performance of Auralic Aries after frustration with dual PC HQP/Roon/mRendu setup. Goal is to get the Aries>Lampizator sounding "good enuff" to let go of the complicated crap-ola so I can just relax and listen to music again. Already impressed with what I'm hearing.

Not knowing what the hell I'm talking about,but maybe you people should concentrate on an amp or speakers vs Wyred Recovery or the Regen and microRendu! I'm perfectly happy with my music from a thumb drive or Tidal into my Aries out to my Vega into my Fisher X202 out to my JBL Apollo C51's... Too many Regen's for sale. Why?

FYI: The speakers/amps/preamp/turntable/phono preamp/cartridge/cables/etc are endgame and "constants"in my system, for the past several years, at least. I am also more than happy with the Lampizator DAC. What I want to and know I can improve is the how it is fed and that's what this is all about.

• 2 weeks later...
I had an opportunity to use the Lightning app for quite a long time at a local dealer. I found nothing lacking in it, the app did everything that I wanted it to do. I didn't find it to be "not up to parr" with apps like MPaD or JRemote, and you at least know that the app will continue to receive support from the developer, you can't say that about MPaD or JRemote. I haven't used apps like Lumin or the Linn apps, so maybe there are better ones out there.

Completely agree that the Auralic's Lightening app is no slouch and NOT at all a "good reason" not to purchase.

I found the Lumin app easier to navigate my library with and visually more appealing than the Lightning controller. About the only Lightning feature I missed was sort by album import date.

Thanks.

I would not want to be w/o the "Recent Imports" window since I use it frequently.

Here's another question: What's the "big deal" about Aries doing NAA?

I'll assume it will allow it to be worked into a setup using HQP.

If so, why use an Aries to do that when there are many other and prob better ways?

This is an interesting quote, and it probably applies to HQ Player as well.

Yes, it is.

The dual computer, microRendu, HQP setup is the ONLY one sounded better, overall, to me than my optimized Aries.

It proved to be a BEAR to make it work/keep it working, plus to do it RIGHT is WAY more expensive than an Aries.

Mr. Wang didn't say but it is also a fact that the Aries will benefit from the Regen, or even better the Wyred Recovery.