IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I have an Apple Extreme and had zero issues setting up the Aries .

Same here, Apple Extreme have worked perfect from day one with Aries. I'v only spent the first 10 minutes with Aries using ethernet cable. Wi-Fi and only one usb cable from Aries to my Hegel HD25 dac. No issues when upgrading over Wi-Fi. FW 2.3 now and it sounds very impressing both from streaming Wimp Hi-Fi and my local music library ripped to NAS.

atletico

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

• 2 weeks later...
Start there. I think a good USB cable is essential to hearing how good the Aries can be.

I'm using a Wireworld Platinium Starlight usb cable from my full version Aries to a Hegel HD25 DAC. It has a full body, 3D-wide soundstage with deep bass and airy treble. . not missing anything...comparing it to my previous setup playing usb from MacMini.

However a brand new Aries needs some time to burn in to perform at it's best. I have also noticed the Aries need ~2 hours after powering up to really shine..I'll keep both the Aries and Hegel on most of the time when I'm home.

I'm only using the Aries with wi-fi (Apple Airport Extreme 50 mb/s) and have no issues at all, plays perfect both from my NAS and streaming TIDAL hi-fi .

atletico

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

• 2 months later...
Again the sound quality resp. "favour" has slightly changed with the new FW 2.6.

Sound is a bit leaner for me now - yet also a bit cleaner / clearer than with previous FW 2.5.

But a noticable portion of emotion and musicality is gone in my system which I'm quite sad about it.

What are your impressions?

Really..? This is not my experience. I have now listen to some of my well known reference music both in 44 kHz and in HD resolution. In my system the music still sounds full-body and I can't say I miss any musicality in the presentation compared to the previous version 2.5. Maybe the treble now sounds a little bit more "right" and maybe a bit more airy in the top in my system with FW 2.6 ? Anybody else who have done some serious listening to the new version.? I'm positive...

Head-fi:

"So after a couple of email exchanges I opted to go for the 2.5 roll back. No less than 15 minutes later I noticed the sound had improved to what I had before. I thought that was fast but noticed I was still on 2.6.1 but the bass and musicality I loved the night before had returned."

Figured this was worth repeating - for emphasis - in lieu of posting it in bold red print.

The 2.6.1 version sounds as good as, or even better then version 2.5. in my system . No way there are bass missing. The sound stage is presented both wide and deep with natural sounding voices. Tested on several reference music yesterday evening... and I still feel the deep bass in hitting my body for the special tunes...

I have worked with sound and music for over 30 years and, also in studios. Listening to how the music is produced and presented have been a important part of that.

I will be very surprised if the excellent team behind the Aries don't do the same before they releases a new FW version. I hope for the sound still to be improved in future releases and that's one of the issues that make this little (not so expensive) box so exciting to follow... I'm also impressed how Tidal now is working and sounding. I have the Aries "full version" with NAS and run it on a stable 50 Mbs wi-fi line.

atletico

Head-fi:

Bump

Head-fi:

I was just made aware of the Aires and it looks like a great solution.

Question: will I be able to control the music in iTunes on my Macbook Pro that is streamed through the Aires and on to my DAC?

Yes, if you use the Songcast option in Aries.. If priority is highest sound quality I don't think this is the best solution. What kind of dac and the inputs on your dac will also play a important role how to set up the Aries for the best result in your system.

In my system I'm using a NAS drive for my music and stream wireless controlled by the Auralic Lightning DS app on my iPad to the Aries with usb digital to my dac. This give me the best sound result.

Like you, I would have prefered using iTunes and my MacBook to control all my music but highest sound quality has priority and the Auralic Lightning DS app is not that bad and we are waiting for a new update the next days that will make it more useful.

I will recommend you to go for the Aries. It's a exiting product.

atletico

Head-fi:

Thanks, that's what I thought. The MacBook/iTunes combo is convenient, but lower quality. I just did a sig upgrade on my hifi system so not in the mindset to compromise now.

I'm just struggling a bit with some super basic questions. I have never used a networked storage device and anything like the Aires to connect to a DAC -- is there a dummies version of how it works and what equipment/software I'd need?

My DAC is part of a Cary Audio 306 Professional SACD/CD player. Apparently pretty decent. Has standard inputs for toslink or coaxial or AES/EBU.

1. If I have a NAS, can I get my iTunes music to it? I thought Apple had made use of music purchased through the iTunes store playable only through iTunes....

2. I do have flac and mp4 files outside of iTunes. If I'm using an NAS, what software is used to control playback and on what devices? I have the MacBook Pro and an iPhone, not an iPad at this time.

3. Does the NAS cable to the Aries and then the Aries to the DAC?

Thanks for your patience with a noob!

Try to help you with your questions...(I'm Norwegian)

1. Just locate your music map in iTunes on your local MacBook drive. Copy all music from your iTunes music map into your new NAS drive (or a usb drive) after setting up the NAS in your network.

2. Now you have to use a program like Linn Kinsky player/sofware to control NAS with the Aries if you use your MacBook Pro. If you use Auralic Lightning DS you now have to use a iPad...Auralic will hopefully upgrade this for future macbook /iPhone use with the Aries.

3 No, the NAS is connected with cable to your router and you will find it on your network. You can also have your music on a usb drive and connect this with usb cable to the Aries.

atletico

Head-fi:

• 1 month later...
I read that it is possible to send audio "on-line" to Auralic from PC/Mac with a help of Songcast. How can I do it? What should I need to download for this? And is it free or I need to pay something?

Thanks in advance.

Just download Songcast to your PC/Mac and go... Linn

Head-fi:

• 2 months later...

From firmware version 2.9.2 Build 20151017 to a new version 2.10. What is this..?

Head-fi:

• 5 months later...
I tried Roon about month or so ago and really liked the layout and functionality but ended up canceling because I thought the sound quality on LDS was a bit better.

Wonder with roon 1.2 if it's improved...

I have now tested Roon for some days and the functionality is very impressive and my music on NAS library looks amazing and also a superb integration with Tidal.

But after doing some serious listening on my well known reference music samples this is my conclusion:

Using my iPad Air 2 with LDS with music from the NAS to the Aries sound better than using ROON ➜ Aries from my new MacBook Pro from the same NAS. This was a disappointment for me and I will never accept a degrading in sound quality in my system

The sound from ROON present a bit smaller soundstage both in depth and wide. The mid ( voices) and the bass is also presented better with LDS. Actually the first thing I noticed when I started playing from ROON ➜ Aries from my NAS was the bass sounded less weighty and I lost some information in the deepest frequencies.

Someone else who have tested the difference between ROON and LDS to Aries?

atletico

Head-fi:

• 1 month later...

I have also tested the beta 4.03 version. What happened was: The Aries will not play any hi-rez files through usb to my Mark Levinson 585 amp/DAC. 96/24 and 192/24 files just produces hi noise in my speakers. My DSD files come out with no sound at all.

The only files thats now will play from Aries are my 44,1/16 files , but the display on my amp/DAC says t DSD files are now playing !! (and the sound seems very nice ). Looks like some up-sampling or re-sampling of all my files are taken part in the ML DAC when receiving the files from Aries beta 4.03. I´m now back on version 3.3 and have sendt a notice on this issue to the Auralic theme.

Head-fi:

Bump

Head-fi:

Anyone else have the same problems with hi res PCM? I haven't tested it yet - just downloaded and updated.

How did you roll it back to Version 3.3?

It's very easy. The same way you you checked the "receive beta testing firmware" tag for receiving the beta 4.03. Just uncheck this tag and reboot your Aries and you're back on version 3.3.

Head-fi:

Guess this confirms our that feedback on any changes is all system dependent. Any other comments from anyone with this hardsware the forum on this issue?

I have been testing more with the 4.0 beta 4 version today, playing well known files in different resolution and I really like what I hear. The sound has defintiv improved with a bigger soundstage with more air in the top and better definition and space between the instruments. My system has never sounded better from any digital sources ! Hope to get my DSD files to play in next beta version. Tidal hi-fi also has improved. Keep up the good work Auralic.

Head-fi:

Thanks...I'm using the Curious USB cable. I'll just stay with that...

Same here..Curious USB cable is a great cable !! ...

Compared to version 3.3 the 4 beta 4 sounds bigger, deeper with more air in the top frequencies... DSD ➜ PCM however will not play in this version, its not a big problem for me, but this will for sure be taken care of in the final version 4.

Head-fi:

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying firmware beta 4.0.6 now.

Is it just me or does it sound even cleaner than 4.0.4? The bass has tightened up a notch and everything sounds more open BUT the highs are now more strident than before and there is some treble sibilance that wasn't there with 4.0.4.

I think I prefer 4.0.4 overall.

Same experience here... preferred the beta 4.0.4 version.

Head-fi:

• 3 months later...
Beta Firmware Release Notice

Current Beta Version: 4.0 (Released on 9th September 2016)

New Features since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Auto resample PCM sampling rate below 44.1K to 44.1K or 48K to resolve radio station playback issue

Fixes since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Particular type of AIF file wont play

Invalid seek track commend lead to device device dead-lock

AACP file or radio station wont play

Improvement since Version 4.0.Beta7:

Sound quality improvement, especially at higher sampling rate

Better DLNA server compatibility by ignore wrong MIME information

Anyone tested the new 4.1 Beta1 version.? Noticed any changes in sound quality? in my ears the new beta version add a little more weight in the lower bas area...

After listening to some of my favorite tracks, I really like this beta version and overall the sound is real nice in my system, maybe a little bit more relaxed ?

Head-fi:

• 5 months later...

My aries will not connect to the Lightning server..I tried to roll back to v. 4.1 and it will not connect to the Lightning Server.. 

Head-fi:

42 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

... and on fw 5.0beta-1 my Aries was also abruptly stopping playback after a while, when used as RoonReady output device, and vanishing from the network :-/

I'm back to *non beta* fw 4.1.0 and won't move from here :|

also back to non beta Lightning DS

still can't access the NAS share anymore :mad:

I tried moving back to fw 4.1.0 and no way the Aries will find my NAS Lightning Server with my 1400 albums...back to 5.0 beta1 and all my music and Lighting Server will appear again. Tried the same once again and Fw 4.1.0 will not work with my NAS Lightning Server...I'm stuck with beta 5.0...

Head-fi:

9 minutes ago, atletico said:

I tried moving back to fw 4.1.0 and no way the Aries will find my NAS Lightning Server with my 1400 albums...back to 5.0 beta1 and all my music and Lighting Server will appear again. Tried the same once again and Fw 4.1.0 will not work with my NAS Lightning Server...I'm stuck with beta 5.0...

Fw 5.0 beta1 issue 2 : Now playback DSD files from my NAS  L. Server will  stopp every 15 seconds and starts "buffering"?

Head-fi:

New beta version already. My Aries femto clock now running 5.0 beta 2 . No info yet about this version.

Head-fi:

1 minute ago, pl_svn said:

release notes for beta 2 are now online

fw still not available here :|

among fixes there's the one I reported about special characters in user/password when connecting to a NAS and one about reverting to non beta fw 4.1.0 (you must first update to 5.0 beta 2, then you can go back to 4.1.0)

This fixes the two issues I mention i my first post in this tread...DSD problems/dropouts  and no NAS Lightning Server available if you want to go back to non beta 4.1.0. Nice work Auralic ?

Head-fi:

I'm back on on v. 4.1. Comparing the SQ performance from v 5.0 beta 2 and v 4.1.

I have now listening critical to some of my reference music tracks from my NAS and Tidal Hi-Fi  ( no files including MQA Master tracks are used ) .

I prefer the overall presentation from v. 4.1. Some of the things I noticed was the soundstage has a bigger/wider presentation and the bass notes goes deeper. Also the overall presentation from v.4.1 reveals the dynamic from the instruments better.  5.0 beta 2 overall sound at first very nice but after som listening I noticed something was missing. The best way to explain this is the overall sound was presented a little bit "flatter" and had lost a bit of weight. This is what I experience from my setup and this is still a beta version so I hope when Auralic finishing the new v 5.0, it will be closer to the 4.1 version in SQ.

Head-fi:

2 hours ago, Jay Tee said:

Athletico

V5.0 beta2 includes a bunch of new features, including signal processing. You didn't indicate which processor option you used to come to your conclusions in the listening tests. The filter options are available on the browser setup page.

Auralic's default seems to be 'smooth', but there are three other filters and they all sound different. My preference so far: 'precise'. In my system it sounds open and much less tampered with.

When I first installed the 5.0 beta I was also disappointed with the sound. It felt artificial - until I used the web setup page to refine my options.

It would be interesting to hear the experiences of others who have experimented with the beta's signal processing filters.

All my serious listening and testing with v. 5.0 beta 2 are based on filter setting "smooth". I have also used the web browser setup and played a little around with the different settings but there should also be an option without any signal processing   "no filter" but I can't find this ..?

Waiting now for a new beta 3  5.0 version and will then test more a round the different signal processing but the default setting should have been "no filters".

The sound from version 4.1 still are better in my ears and with my equipment..The overall dynamics are better and more weight in the low end...

Head-fi:

40 minutes ago, austinpop said:

All these comparison of 4.1 with 5.0 beta are confusing, because there are so many devices and modes. Going forward, may I suggest you preface your remarks with this information:

1. Aries Model
  2. Operation Mode - Lightning device, uPNP renderer, Roon endpoint
  3. DAC (Mini) - internal or external. If internal, what DAC settings
  4. MQA playback - passthrough, auto, or 2x, 4x, 8x
  5. DSP or Upsampling: if not defaults, specify changes.

I can understand this is confusing..but my comparison of 4.1 with the 5.0 beta 2 is done this way:

Tested  44.1/16 bit, 96/24 bit , 192/24 bit and DSD 64 all some of my"reference" music files from my NAS and  played also from my favorite music saved in TIDAL, all in 44.1/16 bit Hi-Fi.

1. Aries femto clock wifi mode.

2. Using Lightning Server , wifi 60 Mb/sec ,  all my music on NAS. TIDAL on my wifi.

3. External usb dac (Mark Levinson connected with Curious usb cable)

4. No MQA playback used for testing

5. No up sampling, but the 5.0 beta 2 filter "smooth"

Head-fi: