IGNORED

How to connect iPhone to McIntosh C2300 preamp?

Hello all, my girlfriend's mom has a McIntosh C2300 preamp, and we were trying to show her some music on my iPhone. Although I'm new here, I do know a few things about audio quality and such, so I'm not looking to be told that the quality won't be high, but rather if it is possible to connect an AUX source (my iPhone) to a preamp which doesn't seem to have an AUX input. I saw somewhere that I could just plug it into the CD input or something, assuming I had the proper cables. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the cheapest method would be to get a Y cable (1/8" out of the iPhone's headphone jack to L-R RCA plugs into one of the pre-amp's non-phono unbalanced inputs. I do this routinely with my iPod Classic on my "B" system, but I'm going into an aged Sony receiver, so not much to lose. These cables are readily available at pretty much any price point.

There are some halfway decent docks with analog out jacks, but the only ones I'm familiar with have the old 30-pin connector, so if you have a newer iPhone you'd need a Lightning adapter that would work with the dock. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Pure i20 | Docking Station for ipad and ipod | Pure Wireless Music

I'd just be really careful -- power down the preamp before plugging anything in, and start with the pre-amp's volume all the way down when you first hook up the iPhone. Be especially careful since the pre-amp belongs to your girlfriend's mom. :-)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I think the cheapest method would be to get a Y cable (1/8" out of the iPhone's headphone jack to L-R RCA plugs into one of the pre-amp's non-phono unbalanced inputs. I do this routinely with my iPod Classic on my "B" system, but I'm going into an aged Sony receiver, so not much to lose. These cables are readily available at pretty much any price point.

There are some halfway decent docks with analog out jacks, but the only ones I'm familiar with have the old 30-pin connector, so if you have a newer iPhone you'd need a Lightning adapter that would work with the dock. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Pure i20 | Docking Station for ipad and ipod | Pure Wireless Music

I'd just be really careful -- power down the preamp before plugging anything in, and start with the pre-amp's volume all the way down when you first hook up the iPhone. Be especially careful since the pre-amp belongs to your girlfriend's mom. :-)

--David

Thanks for the reply! Is there any particular input I should use? I'm attaching a picture so you can see exactly what the inputs are.

McIntosh C2300 Preamplifier, McIntosh C2300, Preamplifier C2300 McIntosh

As has already been mentioned do NOT use the phono inputs; so any input 3 thru 8 should work. I'd avoid the tuner input as well. So inputs 4 -8. Turn the volume down to start and ease it up slowly. You may be surprised by how good it sounds,

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

+1 on what maximum kahuna said.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Other DACs such as iFi Nano iDSD and Ressonence Herus also work with iPhone if you are looking to improve quality.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.