IGNORED

J River - How to organize converted FLAC to WAV (or AIFF) files

Allan F

A simple WAV view, as screenshot above describes, is even easier than a smartlist. Takes 30 seconds and imports to jremote in another 10. Doesn't touch tags, doesn't require any calcs, etc.

The advantage of appending the album name (with unique descriptors like wav or hirez or DSD or ISO) to those albums you have in multiple versions/copies is that the suffix becomes part of the name and will allow you to browse them individually in standard views like "artist" "album" etc. I used to do that but found I know my library well enough that simply going to one of my views (DSD, DSD128, ISO, 24bit, WAV) clears things up and is much easier.

You can copy a custom view and change the rule and have a new custom view in 20 seconds (copy wav, change "filetype is wav" to "filetype is SACD", add "channels is less than or equal to 2" and you've got a safe ISO custom view; safe because ISOs contain multichannel content too and you don't want to pull them up when playing in a stereo DAC setup. I do the converse when setting up multichannel only views (for my exaSound E28 or Mytek stack).

Renaming files to create unique album names is the "wrong" way to do it - but the only way you can in most other programs.

I agree that custom groupings or views are a more elegant solution within Jriver.

My preference though is to embed key information such as source/resolution/format in the Album tag. Note that this is not the same as renaming files.

The main reason I do this is because this means that this information then travels with the data and is available regardless of where the data is played now (iTunes, Squeezebox Touch, or portable devices) or in the future. In my mind, software packages come and go but data remains so it's best to keep the data as information rich as possible.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

A simple WAV view, as screenshot above describes, is even easier than a smartlist. Takes 30 seconds and imports to jremote in another 10. Doesn't touch tags, doesn't require any calcs, etc.

The advantage of appending the album name (with unique descriptors like wav or hirez or DSD or ISO) to those albums you have in multiple versions/copies is that the suffix becomes part of the name and will allow you to browse them individually in standard views like "artist" "album" etc. I used to do that but found I know my library well enough that simply going to one of my views (DSD, DSD128, ISO, 24bit, WAV) clears things up and is much easier.

You can copy a custom view and change the rule and have a new custom view in 20 seconds (copy wav, change "filetype is wav" to "filetype is SACD", add "channels is less than or equal to 2" and you've got a safe ISO custom view; safe because ISOs contain multichannel content too and you don't want to pull them up when playing in a stereo DAC setup. I do the converse when setting up multichannel only views (for my exaSound E28 or Mytek stack).

Ted,

Thanks for sharing all of your tips and tutorials for using JRiver more effectively. They have really made a difference to me and others who are trying to get a handle on all the power that this amazing software offers.

KK

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull