IGNORED

Choice of Tube 24/192 DACs

Hi everyone

I use wav and SACD-R transport. I am looking to buy a new 24/192 DAC with Tube output.

My shortlist is:

Mhdt Labs Stockholm V2

Mhdt Labs Steeplechase AK4396

HLLY 24BIT 192KHz 2*AD1955

Promitheus Audio Tube DAC

Acoustic Plan DigiMaster

Cary Audio DAC-100t

Line Magnetic LM-502CA

Any comments and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anton

Jolida Glass FX Tube Dac III

Wavelength

ACCUSTIC ARTS TUBE DAC II – MK 2

AR Ref

But if I had to pick a tube dac it would be a Lampizator since they seem to do DSD right.

Yeah, I would vote for the Dacs designed around the tube tech, rather than Dacs with tube buffer stages tacked on at the end as an afterthought. Ayon I think is another good tube Dac, as well as EAR Yoshino.

What model Wavelength? USB input is not necessary. I only use the CD transport and SD-Card transport with SPDIF or AES/EBU

The Wavelength Cosine is S/PDIF input. I also believe Gordon will make a Crimson with S/PDIF if you ask him.

Yes, the line magnetic i prefer the best out of this lot - but i would recommend not to use a tube dac instead a tube preamp or a tube integrated and a solid state d/a with variable gain - this is because we would want lower distortion in the chain to feed the amplification

where the magic happens - good luck!

Yes, the line magnetic i prefer the best out of this lot - but i would recommend not to use a tube dac instead a tube preamp or a tube integrated and a solid state d/a with variable gain - this is because we would want lower distortion in the chain to feed the amplification

where the magic happens - good luck!

I prefer the opposite. Tube Magic in the Dac and SS amplification (better bass). Distortion measurements and good sound are often at odds with each other. Many SS Dacs are not up to scratch…and the ones that are are horribly expensive.

• 1 month later...

I would give the Lampi the edge for SQ and the fact that the Lampi DSD is rated the best by those who have reviewed it...

With lots of people trading up to the top of the line Big 7, there should be several bargains to be had with Level 4 and 5 Lampi Dacs with DSD. Ask Gopher at AudioCircle or check Audiogon.

I have heard the Ear Yoshino and its very good, as is the AMR DP777. Heard good tiings about Aesthetix too, but they are a bit pricier.