IGNORED

Empirical Audio Overdrive vs Invicta Mirus

I am thinking about moving my Hugo to permanent portable duty and buying another full size DAC for the main system (having sold my Bel Canto Dac 3.5 VBS, which was replaced by the Hugo). The QDBD76 replacement is the obvious choice but it is at least a year away, and my guess is that it will be more expensive still than the QBD76.

I am thinking about the Empirical Overdrive SE and the Invicta Mirus. Both have good reviews, but it is hard to find comparisons. Other options are the Lampizator (although I don't really like tubes), the Auralic Vega, Bricasti M1 and PS Audio Directstream.

This is for 90% redbook and 10% 24/96, so I am not really interested in DSD.

Has anyone compared any of the above Dacs? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, that was interesting reading. I guess the problem is that you read these things a hundred times and it somehow never gets you any closer to a decision.

I suppose the only way I will find out is to open my wallet and take a risk!

So true!

I use these 'professional' and peer user reviews to narrow the field to those few units I will actually home demo....and I for sure believe you have to hear a unit in your system to make a good decision. Based on the consistency and quality of the DirectStream reviews I have read so far, it will make my final cut list for a new DAC.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Well, I ordered the Invicta Mirus. The reviews make it sound like something I would like and I was offered a good price on one so I thought it was time to get off the fence. I'm looking forward to putting it up against the Hugo.

Well, I ordered the Invicta Mirus. The reviews make it sound like something I would like and I was offered a good price on one so I thought it was time to get off the fence. I'm looking forward to putting it up against the Hugo.

Ross, congratulations on purchasing the Mirus. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for its predecessor, the Invicta, and know the Mirus ups the ante. Should be a great addition to your system.

JC

+1. I auditioned the Invicta a couple of years ago and was quite impressed.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

I would really appreciate it if you post your experiences of the Mirus and how you feel it compares to the Hugo.

Thanks

"I was offered a good price on one..." Would you wish to elaborate on this.