IGNORED

HQ Player

On 11/26/2019 at 12:54 AM, Miska said:

I have not tried any other loopback software ever than the ALSA's built-in loopback driver on Linux. So I have not much to comment on that front.

Hi Jussi, can you share some basic instruction on how to use ALSA's built-in loopback driver on Linux?

To route (for example) Firefox  web-browser audio to HQP Embedded?

On 5/25/2020 at 4:31 PM, thisisvv said:

How to do this ?...i have a main PC

AMD 1950X

64GB RAM

2 Titan XP..

Windows 10..

quboz is installed here...how do i output to HQ input...

2nd PC

Intel i7

32gb ram

windows server 2016

Ok on your 2nd PC, use etcher to burn this to a USB stick:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/hqplayer-embedded-4.17.1-x64.7z

Connect your USB DAC to 2nd PC and boot this USB stick. Follow these instructions:

image.thumb.png.159e79a89804f08de1de60c7649cf237.png

When you know the IP address of this machine, go to ip_address/config in web browser and setup HQPlayer there.

On your Main PC, use a trial version of Audirvana for Windows. Setup your Qobuz account there in Audirvana.

You should be able to output audio to HQPlayer Embedded UPnP renderer.

Audirvana is much cheaper than Roon.

All the above is free to trial, so if it works then you can later decide.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

Since you have the UP-Board, you could run USB input NAA on it.

I need to get around to installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with your custom kernel though right?

It doesn't work with your HQP OS image yet?

On 5/19/2020 at 10:42 PM, Miska said:

That's great! Makes life much easier not having to split the produced filter files.

Hi @Miska

I see someone is having issues with getting mono files from Audiolense (using Audacity) to work with HQPlayer.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/audiolense/PDSKxKCvhKQ/bVi-XIFyAAAJ

On the Audiolense forum Bernt from Audiolense said he will support generating mono files but only for simple stereo without bass management.

He says:

"I haven't worked with HQP and will likely not. But if they want to support DSP they should make a proper convolver. It is as easy for them to make a function that can handle a multi channel file as it is for me to make a single channel export. It will be a bit harder for them to make functionality to read configuration files, but this type of information is needed to handle complex setups where it is a little more to it than just convolving an input and passing it the the corresponding output."

Can you consider making HQPlayer handle a multi channel file?

It seems it would make life a lot easier for people like user JR in this situation but I'd like to do DSP crossover and bass management with Audiolense and don't want to have these same issues with Audacity causing same headaches.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, Miska said:

Easier and more generic is to use two computers and either S/PDIF / AES or USB between the two. Since you have the UP-Board, you could run USB input NAA on it.

Hi Jussi

I need to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with your custom kernel though for USB input NAA right?

It still doesn't work with your HQP OS image yet on Up Board Gateway?

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Ubuntu or Debian yes. Not yet on HQPlayer OS.

Ok thanks. Will try.

I'm just trying some of the AutoEQ Harman Curve files with headphones, with convolution in HQPlayer (and then upsampling to DSD256 of course).

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018

In this use case (2-channel headphones) is "gain compensation" in convolution applied in the same place by HQP as "start up volume" ?

So -8dB gain compensation + 0dB startup volume is equal to -4dB gain compensation + -4dB startup volume?

On 2/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, Miska said:

I've recommended to use Acourate's brickwall extension when creating filters for 384k.

Hi @Miska I'm reading Mitch B's book and his screenshots only show option for creating 192k filters

I don't have Acourate yet (still playing with Audiolense) but is this screenshot from an old version? 

image.png.066d6c7655eb4614506d9188503ae1d6.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Let’s ask @mitchco

Great idea Chris.

I just went through the Quick Start guide of Mitch's book.

Thanks to his great book it's not as daunting as I first thought.

Highly recommend it, even though I haven't used the thing yet, because it just makes everything less daunting. 

Sometimes the fear is enough to drive people away from even starting, like the case with me.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

I have to say I don't remember at all. Last time I touched Acourate was like two years ago or so when I created some correction filters. Since my speakers and room have not changed since, there has been no reason to touch the filters.

I find this hard to believe, someone so technical like you would forget something this important ! 😁

But all joking aside, it sounds like if you were to re-do your room EQ filters, you would use minimum phase room correction filters, but in combination with reconstruction filters it’s ok (technically) to also use linear phase reconstruction filters, in combination?

Eg no technical issues with: 

minimum phase convolution filter + linear phase ext2 reconstruction filter?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

They are unrelated. For example REW always gives you minimum phase filters. So kind of room correction filter doesn't matter in relation to upsampling filters.

No problem at all.

Thanks Jussi !

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Damn Noctua NH-D15 cooler on Gigabyte Vision D m/b blocks the PCI-x 16 slot by about 5mm.

What about NH U14S? 14cm, so may be ok.

This is what I have. It is recommended by Noctua for my i9-9900K and has been really quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

I know you are reticent to step out of the world of techno speak, but it would be very helpful to have a list that says “use these for super high quality recordings.  Use these for recordings that need help.  Use these for accosting music.  These for voice centric.  Etc.  I realize you will say no to this request, but I figure if I keep asking for many years, you may relent out of sheer pity 😂

Have you tried ext2 filter?

It's really great for everything !

On 2/20/2019 at 7:47 AM, Miska said:

REW can be also extended with RePhase.

Acourate is one nice software, Audiolense is another one. Acourate can generate directly 384k mono WAVs with brickwall extension. Audiolense at least used to generate stereo WAVs that needed splitting to two mono WAVs, but other than that it should also work. Acourate is probably most powerful tool, but also has the steepest learning curve.

New version of Audiolense out now, supporting up to 400kHz and mono WAV file output.

image.png.3176790aefad1d4eae1b905d128d15c3.png

• 4 months later...

Hi @seeteeyouThanks, yes RPi4 is very good for high sample rates, for USB output. No more shared bus like previous RPi's.

It's definitely nice to see the DIY community might have some success with DSD256 with RPi4 via GPIO pins.

I guess I will wait to see if Allo Audio or other HAT makers manage to make a suitable HAT for the RPi4.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Miska said:

No, I'm a bit low on R&D hardware budget and would need to order it from outside of EU which means extra (customs) pain.

At the moment Mac Mini with M1 has priority.

Measurement looks good though for ARES II :

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/

in HQPlayer settings for PCM upsampling (to PCM ~1500 kHz) would you set "bits" to 18 bits? Based on:

image.png.7dee331ac8232a1fa628a6c4cf3d7017.png

6 hours ago, Miska said:

If using PCM mode (like in the test), I would set "DAC Bits" to 16 or 17 with LNS15 noise shaper. This keeps linearity in the very flat range, while providing 20+ bits worth of practical dynamic range in audio band.

Can the UP Board Gateway do PCM ~1.5M with LNS15 with all poly-sinc filters + 2-channel convolution , as a HQP Embedded machine?