IGNORED

HQ Player

Hey guys, I am writing to get some advice.

I have been using Hqplayer with servercore 2016 and AO. I am using a gigabyte Brix, with an i7 6500U and 16gb of ram. Down the signal chain I have an iFi iPower (acting as an USB regen) and finally a PsAudio DirectStream DAC. The music is stored in an Asustor NAS.

Despite the i7, the computer stutters when upsamling to more than DSD64, using poly-sync xtr mp and ASDM7. I can go no further. Reading other posts, my specs seem to indicate that I would be able to at least go to DSD 128. Changing the audio chain doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Also, even when at DSD64, I often hear some "plics" and "plocs". The volume control of Hqplayer is limited to -5 dBFS. 

Appreciate your insights.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

This is only a dual-core CPU, likely it doesn't have enough processing power with xtr filter. But you could use xtr-2s variant instead for lighter CPU load. It is at least worth testing that way to see.

Ok. Gonna give it a go. Let you know 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Thanks for this.  Jussi, is it possible to set the PCM side of HQP to automatically  make 44.1 sources into 176, and 48khz into 192?  Or must one manually change the setting?

And don't forget to upgrade to Snowmass. Ted has worked his magic once again. Huge difference. 

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

which NIC are you using?

Realtek 2.5G. That comes with the Asus Z-590 Prime. 

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

Note that you can install Canonical's "hwe" (HardWare Enablement) kernel branch which keeps you on their latest short term kernel on an LTS system. Sometimes the installer of later point releases do this automagically.

Don't really know how to do it

14 hours ago, Miska said:

For such cases I have a simple cheap gigabit USB-Ethernet dongle with old enough chip. I can then plug it in to have internet access in such cases.

Success. Found an old wifi dongle that did the job.

Now for the good news: not only asdm7ecv2 is possible, but also two filters that would not run in windows (poly ext3 and gauss xla) now work without hiccups (all to dsd256), even with 7ecv2. 

But I had to manually enable Intel turbo boost in Ubuntu. 

Does hqplayerOS enable turbo boost by default? Running Intel i9-10900k

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Miska said:

This is the key. You can determine speed of the transient by it's spectral spread. Just like square wave is infinite sum of odd harmonics of it's base frequency. If the transient's harmonic series doesn't contain these high frequencies, it tells that it is "slow" or "soft".

But for Redbook these "fast" transients would be irrelevant and would not be in the recording, being the signal band limited to 22khz, right?

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Wouldn’t be irrelevant. Filtering could  reflect images back into audible range (though at low levels). I wouldn’t be surprised if Miska would advise apodizing filters for these cases, but Miska’s of course the person who actually knows (unlike me 🙂).

That is precisely my point. You would have to low pass at 22khz. Anything above that would not be in the recording. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, FooFighter said:

Thx mate!

I am feeling like I am starting with computers though I was using macs for some time but never though about such features before going for headless servers.

Plus I ve been wondering about the lack of native Apple out-of-the-box solution besides an Apple Remote Desktop app costing 80 bucks in App store.

So regardless of this URL being called "VNC..." I won't need the before discussed VNC client-/server software from realvnc.com, right?

Like Jussi said, you need no other software. Should you have trouble getting everything going, drop a note

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TJHUB said:

Thanks.  I figured as much.  My plan is to get a SBC, but what I want is not available.

Did you consider a ubuntu server install, with only naa pkg running? You could install and then boot the server from USB. A bit longer boot time, but it would work

8 hours ago, TJHUB said:

I'd consider anything, but it's been many years since I played with Linux.  I don't remember hardly anything.  I'm a 53 year old computer geek, so I guess could figure it out.  I know there are lots of people to help.  For now, Jussi's bootable USB sticks are working, but I admit if this all works out, I'd like to do something sexier than a USB boot.  Not that it's a big deal, it might just be nicer in the long run.  And the stick doesn't have to be there sticking out.

Boot times don't bother me, but I do intend to leave the NAA on 24/7.

It will be super easy. Ubuntu server installer got so much friendlier nowadays. You just need a computer and 2 sticks: one with the installer, and one to be the installation target. I have done this quite a number of times. Should you feel adventurous or need any help, just drop a note

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, luisma said:

Just wanted to find out in the current state of HQPlayer Embedded.

The latest jl+ kernel's for focal did not worked for my friend's Intel and broke my AMD 5600X (5.15.39) yesterday, I could not use the keyboard at all after installing it and it was reporting an error at boot. To save time I went ahead and:

• Installed jammy minimal from scratch
  • Installed hqplayerd 4.32.1-135avx2

It is working on my 5600X with no issues, I did not need to modify anything in jammy at all, just installed libgmpris 2.2.1-10

My questions:

1. Building from scratch for Intel 11th Gen 11600K and AMD 5600X which versions of Ubuntu and hqplayerd are recommended for each (noticed there is no amd_amd versions)
  2. If using HQPOS could I mount internal SSD's with it and possibly NFS server ? need to rebuild my friend's HQPlayer server.
  3. Anything you would recommend @Miska, maybe I should check if you HQPLayer OS includes now Wireless Drivers or Realtek ones?

Thank you

Hello, just a quick question: in you fresh ubuntu server, did you install low-latency kernel, or only hpqlayerd + libgmpris?