IGNORED

Can this be done?

I am not quite sure what question to ask... I posted this on jriver and have not gotten an answer

I am using jriver on caps 1 server. Caps device clocks in at barely alive on the performance scale - 400 or something as I remember.

I use jremote. For whatever reason, performance is better but still not spiffy.

Setup is NAS storage, the caps server with a usb DAC to nice stereo (sound quality important) and 2 WDTV devices using DLNA to play music to a Bose wave radio and to a little amp going to outdoor loudspeakers. (Sound quality not important as long as no dropouts).

All this works fine; can send music to 3 different zones simultaneously, etc. Haven't stress tested it but no obvious droputs with the WDTV units. Able to listen to music on the big rig while someone is using the outdoor speakers. Someday might even use more DLNA devices.

But would prefer snappier performance in music room. Must have silence however, ie no computer noises that would come with higher performing pc.

I could get a faster computer and place it in another room on my network, put jriver and and the music library on the this faster computer.

My question is,

Can I get this faster computer ( that would sort and search faster) talk to the caps 1 server which uses usb to a DAC to my stereo and control the whole shebang with jremote ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I think the faster computer would definitely help but I'll offer a little bit of advice which might help if you are interested in tinkering with your computer.

My little PC is based on a Atom processor. I had some issues streaming via DLNA and I was able to achieve much better performance by researching, and addressing latency.

There are some good tips on testing for and addressing latency over at the well behaved computer, or whatever that site is called. No guarantees it will fix your issue but if you are interested in tinkering over spending money an afternoon needing out might take care of your issues.

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.