IGNORED

If You Were Building A New C.A.P.S. today...

A good clock is a lot more than an oscillator replacement. Here are a few good clocks:

Clocks - Low jitter clocks - Fidelity Audio

You might want to try. The leads to the board should be as short as possible. A few centimetres is far too long.

What I also find interesting is that while the oscillator is removed from the board, no attempt is made to identify and remove the caps and resistors normally associated with the oscillator. Perhaps these don't apply in a motherboard.

I respect the attempt: I have installed a Fidelity Audio clock to replace the oscillators (and associated caps and resistors) on my ESI Juli@ XTe card and the clock is powered from my linear voltage rail. I am just rather sceptical as to the quality of the implementation.

But again, I would not expect a motherboard clock upgrade to affect a packeted data transport stream such as USB.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

OKay I am out of my depth here but given it works so well for me I will hazard a speculative guess!!

On the Fidelity Audio site linked above it mentions what I believe could be the source of the improvement and that could be as simple as clean power with a half decent cheap clock.

From the Fidelity Audio site below:

"Most after market clocks quote/claim ridiculously low jitter but have average voltage regulation. This average voltage regulation affects the performance of the output stage of the clock no matter how good the jitter specs are.

The Micro Clock 2 uses a custom version of the Spower ‘D’ discrete low noise voltage regulation. This enables the clock to perform to a very high standard which WILL outperform clocks costing at least 2 times more."

Regarding the USB packeted transport stream I think this argument is under serious challenge given how it can be influenced by clean power, cables and new USB card implementations.

I am coming around to the argument that everything matters, it is just a matter of how much and what gives good bang for buck which I can easily hear with my own ears.

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

OK guys; setting the clock debate, aside for a moment ;)

My DN2800MT arrived today; and it turns out...it fits quite nicely, in the Lian Li PC-Q05 case.

P1000725.jpg

And I do like this case. I even think, I could make a USB card work...if I had to. Correct me if I'm wrong; but this is the pci-e slot, yes? One of the nice things, about this case; everything is screwed in. Which means...it can be taken out; like that "cage", where a USB card could go. I think, that would be a very easy mod (again...if I even feel like it's needed)

P1000726.jpg

There's only one issue...and I'm hoping it's easily remedied. The I/O shield, that comes with the DN2800MT; doesn't fit, the "thin" ITX design.

P1000727.jpg

Any thoughts?

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

^^ Maybe this will work DN2800MT Expandable I/O Shield | Logic Supply (and solve, my card mod issues!)

On closer inspection; that looks to be the same height...as the I/O that comes with the 2800MT. So I'm back to needing some suggestions.

Where can I find...a thin I/O, that works with my 2800MT?

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

I thought the main board came with two shields? "The boxed intel® desktop board dN2800Mt solution includes: • ATX 2.2 compliant standard-height I/O shield. • ATX 2.2 compliant half-height I/O shield."

The half height shield had the part number 341D67200002, but Intel does not stock it any more: DN2800MT I/O Shield. May be some of the distributors still have them around?

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

I thought the main board came with two shields? "The boxed intel® desktop board dN2800Mt solution includes: • ATX 2.2 compliant standard-height I/O shield. • ATX 2.2 compliant half-height I/O shield."

The half height shield had the part number 341D67200002, but Intel does not stock it any more: DN2800MT I/O Shield. May be some of the distributors still have them around?

Thanks; that's very helpful. I've reached-out to the previous owner; to see if he has the low-profile shield.

If not...and the DN2800MT did come with one; should be easy enough, to find a generous CA...who isn't using theirs. :)

Thanks; that's very helpful. I've reached-out to the previous owner; to see if he has the low-profile shield.

If not...and the DN2800MT did come with one; should be easy enough, to find a generous CA...who isn't using theirs. :)

Previous owner, did not have the low-profile shield; but he found someone who did...in like 5 minutes!! It's on it's way :)

Good deal glad it fits. There are also a lot more thin mini boards out there now. When I was looking there were only two. Without the Intel HTS 1155LP heat sink and fan taking all the room on the side there is plenty of room to squeeze a card in. Good price on the case too. I would suggest putting some sort of rubber on the feet bottoms to stop the torque of the hard drive from moving it around if it's going to be on a really smooth surface. Also, check your SATA cables for clearance. My regular ASUS SATA cables interfered with closing the case. The mb board came with angled SATA connectors. Only a problem if they come off the top of the board.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

The SATA cables will only be needed if a local HDD is to be utilised. The system mSATA SSD plugs straight in.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Good deal glad it fits. There are also a lot more thin mini boards out there now. When I was looking there were only two. Without the Intel HTS 1155LP heat sink and fan taking all the room on the side there is plenty of room to squeeze a card in. Good price on the case too. I would suggest putting some sort of rubber on the feet bottoms to stop the torque of the hard drive from moving it around if it's going to be on a really smooth surface. Also, check your SATA cables for clearance. My regular ASUS SATA cables interfered with closing the case. The mb board came with angled SATA connectors. Only a problem if they come off the top of the board.

No question; those hard-plastic footers, are crap...lol. Good news is...and one of the things, I really like about this case in general; is everything can be screwed off. So...something from Herbie's will likely be going in its steed. :)

SSD and RAM, are on its way. If I decide to try a card (just tried to buy a SoTM pci-e, used; but the seller wanted to keep the whole build intact. Might go PP anyway)...I think this will work out nicely PCI Express x1 Low Profile Riser Card | Logic Supply

BTW guys; I only bought this case...because the Wesena e4 v3 (in Black) I wanted, was sold out. But Zygmunt did some digging around in the back, and found the last 2.

I don't think, you'll see these back...until PHT re-badges them for their own; and who knows when that'll be. If you're in the market for this case; I'd snatch one up now :)

I'm tempted; it's an awesome looking case...and I could use the extra size (it would be nice, to put the fairly-compact Mytek...and my SBT, on top of the Wesena). But I think I'm content, to make this Lian Li...work as an inexpensive alternative, for now.

OK guys...so with the SSD and RAM on the way; I have some hand-wringing to do, about OS and player.

I know this is kind of like Coke or Pepsi, for the CA crowd (Coke btw...lol); but I'm trying to decide between the tried-and-true Win8/JRiver combo (which I've done twice before...and may or may-not, still have software and licensing for, lol)...or striking out in a new direction and trying Server 2012 and Optimizer.

So...some questions, to help me make a choice. In no particular order:

- What are the costs like? I'll re-read some of the materials; but (ethical and legal concerns aside...for the purposes of this conversation) I seem to re-call; trial versions, and re-up loopholes, etc. Point being...if I'm looking at like $300 in licensing (I know AO is ~$140); that's a BIG consideration.

- You can do Server21012/AO...with either JRiver, or JPlay? Again...I know this is a preference thing; but weigh-in. Which is "better"? What's this whole 1-box, v. 2-box approach...with JPlay?

I think I get the gist of it; tell me if I do. In a perfect world...the playing box, would do almost nothing; would disarm almost ALL services...short of playing the file. But you can't go to that extreme, in a 1-box solution (I have the same issue, when I try to go too minimal...with Fidelizer). So...JPlay allows you, to keep the player box, at an absolute minimum; and the second box...handles the rest, and acts almost as "server" (to the other box's "slave"). Am I close?

If that's right...I get it; but why can't you just use, like any-'ole PC...to be that "server". Does that box...also need to be pretty "minimal"; just not as bare, as the "slave", player box?

- Is JPlay the way to go...even if you're not going to go to the extreme, of a 2-box solution; or if you're not going to take advantage of the 2-box approach...might you just as well, go JRiver?

- I don't mind, a rather tweaky, involved set-up (and the doc for AO, is just insanely good; seemingly); but I'm not crazy, about a lot of follow-up maintenance. Is AO/JPlay, any more intensive...day-to-day; than the Win8/JRiver combo I'm used to?

OK...that's enough for now. I'm sure some of the comments, will lead to follow-up questions. And as always...I am appreciative, for the assistance of the forum. :)

I think this will work out nicely PCI Express x1 Low Profile Riser Card | Logic Supply

I don't know if this is helpful, but here's one modded and you don't have the fan to deal with. If you mount a card I would be interested to see it. The little riser looks neat.

IMG_20120425_192648_zps4d301582.jpg

Intel Thin-mini ITX

I/O shield came today. It is 2014, right? How long...before they make one of these things; that isn't like trying to jam a big RAZOR BLADE...into a confined opening! :(

SCREW THE PICS!! BEEN TRYING FOR 30 MINUTES!! GUESS AFTER 9, THE BANDWIDTH GOES OUT???

LOVE THAT INTERNET!

P1000738.jpg

OKEYYY...no comments on OS/Player? Guess I'll throw a dart at a board. How about this...

Can anyone recommend power; something that straddles the line, between the pedestrian 12v/5a brick...and this Black Lightning – High-Current Battery Power Supply

Thanks

OKEYYY...no comments on OS/Player? Guess I'll throw a dart at a board. How about this...

Can anyone recommend power; something that straddles the line, between the pedestrian 12v/5a brick...and this Black Lightning – High-Current Battery Power Supply

Thanks

Well,

To cover what you have asked. IMO the 2012 the Optimizer is a no brainer, the best OS I have used. I also use JPlay with JRiver as a front end. You can start with a single system and try a dual in the future. I run both ways with great success. I have the same Atom system that you are using, and a higher power Intel server board. You can great results with the Atom with Jplay, but most prefer using a faster CPU.

I use a 12V SLA battery for power. You can also use a linear bench power supply as another cost effective solution.

I've been babbling about battery's in another thread. If you wanted to spend a little extra on a battery, the Black Lightning uses LiFePO4 Li-Ion batteries. They are longer life and 5 times lighter than an SLA. This one I am considering:

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-Prismatic-Box-Battery-12.8V-20Ah-256Wh-10C-rate-without-PCM.aspx

I just loaded 2012 RII last night, so a +1 to Bob's comment on OS.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know most of my questions...are rather mundane; and have been asked ad nauseam. But without trolling through, like EVERY thread; hard to find the asked and answered.

This is my 3rd build; just trying to get "better", with each one. I think I will go, with the 2012/AO combo. At this point, I could have Win8/JR...installed with my eyes closed, and up and running in 10 minutes; but this other approach really intrigues me.

I'll try to read-up tomorrow; and I'm sure that'll lead to some follow-up questions. Probably mostly, about how to secure the software...and the costs involved (or not involved, as the case may be).

Thanks for the feedback on battery power too. Harpy...a battery like you posted; is that essentially, like having a Black Lightning...without the re-charging feature and case? This is a brave new world for me; meaning...I know NOTHING about these kinds of batteries, for powering audio.

Thanks!

I am having a server built after hearing and being floored by JR MC19 doing Redbook to DSD 128 conversion on the fly feeding into an Antelope Zodiac Platinum

my plan is to use the XMBC Qobuz streaming client to feed JRMC running on 8.1 to output DSD128 to an Exasound E20 MkIII

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

The Black Lightning also has a Battery protection and management that prevents full discharge which can damage the battery. I think there is a charging while playing setting and pure battery power. With just a battery you would want to measure the run time till it hit 10v to get an approximant idea of the time till full discharge and when a recharge is needed. You loose a lot of convenience and an attractive case. On the other hand you don't have the charging gear near the system and you can buy a bigger battery with a longer run time. That's just my thought. You would also need a Life battery charger.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 3 weeks later...

OK...hardware is assembled. Time to start wrestling with the software.

P1000821.jpg

P1000823.jpg